D&D General How do players feel about DM fudging?

How do you, as a player, feel about DM fudging?

• Very positive. Fudging is good.

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Positive. Fudging is acceptable.

Votes: 41 22.4%
  • Neutral. Fudging sure is a thing.

Votes: 54 29.5%
  • Negative. Fudging is dubious.

Votes: 34 18.6%
  • Very negative. Fudging is bad.

Votes: 49 26.8%

• Poll closed .

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
So, you're going to ignore pesky things like facts because they don't support your argument? Okay. You've been shown that this is exactly how it was interpreted back then and this is why fudging became a thing in the game. That you don't happen to like it really doesn't matter.
What facts? You seem to be making an assumption and calling it a fact, because there's nothing in the quote, as noted, that says "fudging" and that is the fact.
And, AFAIC, fudging doesn't become non-fudging just because I show you the die rolls. So, you're saying that if I roll in the open and then declare a different result, that suddenly becomes not-fudging? Not really buying it. Player side fudging mechanics are simply an outgrowth of DM side ones. They are exactly the same result. The only difference appears to be one gets your seal of approval.
I violently disagree with the idea that rerolls came from fudging. I mean, rerolls existed in games long before the idea of a single gamemaster directing the game, much less secret die rolls. It's a bit extreme to say that the GM choosing outcomes in spite of what the mechanics used said morphed into using mechanics normally. Your hangup on die roll changes is showing here, and you've yet to do anything to acknowledge the differences pointed out by multiple posters. You just keep asserting that what you want it true, and then telling others that they're doing what you've done (erroneously in many cases -- erroneously in the sense that they haven't done what you've done and erroneously in the sense that you've made erroneous assertions).
Well, I really don't care about getting your seal of approval to be honest. It doesn't affect my game at all. Changing results is changing results. Doesn't matter who does it or how. It's all the same result - the dice are being ignored and someone at the table has their thumb on the scales.
An accidental death and a murder are the same result as well. Please stop making "ends negate the means" arguments.
Do player fudging mechanics work better? I'd say yes. It takes the pressure off the DM for one which means the DM doesn't have to constantly monitor things. It shares responsibility for the dice not taking over the game among everyone at the table. Fantastic. It has the same result of shaving off the rough edges caused by runs of luck (good or bad). Again, fantastic. So, yeah, I am all for player fudging mechanics.
Well, as pointed out, rerolls are not choosing the outcome unilaterally in spite of the mechanics. Which is what fudging is. Fudging is not the same thing, categorically, as a reroll. You keep focusing on results, but that ignores that a reroll may not change the result while fudging always does.
Secrecy or in the open is completely missing the point. That's just preference. Who cares what I or you or someone else likes? It really doesn't matter. We like what we like and we're not going to suddenly convince anyone else to like what we like or don't. But, a better method for achieving the same results? I think we can all get behind that.
No, secrecy aids the GM in choosing the story outcome the GM wants regardless of actual play -- which is what fudging does. Open rerolls are using the mechanics to create the outcome -- no choice by anyone.
Thus, we see player fudging mechanics proliferate throughout the game. In AD&D, you had virtually none. Now? The players fudge dice constantly. Probably every single session if not every single round of every single encounter.
There are no player fudging mechanics in D&D. None. But if we use your weird definition of a reroll being fudging, you need to start with chapter one in AD&D with the various stat generation methods therein.

Hussar

Legend
I mean, rerolls existed in games long before the idea of a single gamemaster directing the game, much less secret die rolls
Really? I'm rather strugging to think of a game that pre-dates D&D that had any sort of reroll mechanic. Wargames, AFAIK, didn't. And board games don't either. What examples are you thinking of?
An accidental death and a murder are the same result as well. Please stop making "ends negate the means" arguments.

Ahh, yes, we're back to the massively overstated examples of comparing DM fudging to murder now. :erm:

No, secrecy aids the GM in choosing the story outcome the GM wants regardless of actual play -- which is what fudging does. Open rerolls are using the mechanics to create the outcome -- no choice by anyone.

Except all those mechanics where you actually CHOOSE a result. As in unilaterally declaring a result. But, hey, apparently those are totally different from fudging...

There are no player fudging mechanics in D&D. None. But if we use your weird definition of a reroll being fudging, you need to start with chapter one in AD&D with the various stat generation methods therein.

Yup, totally agree. Chargen in AD&D was fudged all the freaking time. That's why we have point buy and standard array now. Because, well, fudging was far more the rule than the exception when it came time to create characters.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Really? I'm rather strugging to think of a game that pre-dates D&D that had any sort of reroll mechanic. Wargames, AFAIK, didn't. And board games don't either. What examples are you thinking of?
Try Yahtzee. 1956.

You can also refer to rollover backgammon, a variant documented in a 1974 book on backgammon. This variant gives each player a rollover callout where they can reroll there own roll or force their opponent to reroll. The second results stands. @pemerton because he likes backgammon.

Hussar

Legend
What facts? You seem to be making an assumption and calling it a fact, because there's nothing in the quote, as noted, that says "fudging" and that is the fact.
Well, there are a couple of things.

1. The term "fudging" probably didn't even exist in 1982 when Basic/Expert was being written/published, so, expecting that exact wording to appear is a bit unrealistic.

2. There are numerous examples, both anecdotal and from other publications like The Dragon and others, that clearly are referencing the notion that the DM can and will fudge die rolls, meaning that advice like was found in the Expert rules, was being interpreted that way.

Hussar

Legend
Try Yahtzee. 1956.

You can also refer to rollover backgammon, a variant documented in a 1974 book on backgammon. This variant gives each player a rollover callout where they can reroll there own roll or force their opponent to reroll. The second results stands. @pemerton because he likes backgammon.
What? Yahtzee doesn't have a reroll mechanic. You have a rolling mechanic, full stop. Up to three rolls (three? Two? God, it's been a long time) to achieve a particular result. That's not a reroll mechanic. And the backgammon rule was introduced in the 1960's. Not exactly common usage I'd say.

The notion of fudging or rerolling was very much not a common thing before RPG's was my point. RPG's adding in fudging as a means to smooth over the rough edges of the random dice. They then moved it to player sided fud... oh, sorry... reroll and result declaration ... as an evolution of game design.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!

1. The term "fudging" probably didn't even exist in 1982 when Basic/Expert was being written/published, so, expecting that exact wording to appear is a bit unrealistic.
A simple google search on "fudging, Dragon magazine" found, as the first result, a pdf of issue #48, from 1981, with the following quote:

"Try to talk with the DM for at least a few minutes before you play. Ask him if and how he has modified the standard AD&D™ rules. Does his magic system favor MagicUsers? Most do. Is his combat system vague? This often means he likes to fudge the results. You will probably like this the first few times you get lucky. Soon, though, you will realize that an unfair combat system makes victories less meaningful. Does this DM ever allow no-saving-throw deaths, other than those examples in the AD&D rules? This can lead to no-saving-throw violence between the players and the DM. Don’t take your cherished character into a killer dungeon. Finally, remember that there is no virtue in unnecessary complication. Do his variants improve the flow of play? Be inquisitive now rather than enraged later. Find out as much as you can, but don’t rush to judgment. Play with anyone once."

This was, again, just using some guestimates about the term and doing a google search. It certainly isn't the first appearance of the word.
2. There are numerous examples, both anecdotal and from other publications like The Dragon and others, that clearly are referencing the notion that the DM can and will fudge die rolls, meaning that advice like was found in the Expert rules, was being interpreted that way.
Yes, prior to when you think the term existed, even. Yet that section you quoted does not mention fudging, and isn't at all the same kind of changing of secretive changing of mechanic outcomes to a preferred result that fudging means.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
What? Yahtzee doesn't have a reroll mechanic. You have a rolling mechanic, full stop. Up to three rolls (three? Two? God, it's been a long time) to achieve a particular result. That's not a reroll mechanic. And the backgammon rule was introduced in the 1960's. Not exactly common usage I'd say.

The notion of fudging or rerolling was very much not a common thing before RPG's was my point. RPG's adding in fudging as a means to smooth over the rough edges of the random dice. They then moved it to player sided fud... oh, sorry... reroll and result declaration ... as an evolution of game design.
I make my first roll. I then select which dice I wish to roll again and which I wish to keep. I can keep as many as I want, or reroll as many as I want. I get three tosses, the second and third of which are rerolling as I outlined above. Your special pleading is showing, alongside your evidence-less assertions.

Thomas Shey

Legend

It did. I saw it in APAs by 1976 at the latest.

This, however, is probably true.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
If a change is diegetic, it is not fudging--period. If a change is done openly, it is not fudging--period.
If I tell the players I'm changing a crit to an ordinary hit so as not to kill off Falstaff it is fudging every bit as much as if I do the same thing and don't tell them.

Fudging = arbitrarily changing a die roll from something undesired to something desired. Whether or not you tell anyone about it is irrelevant.
If the change applies to things which have not entered the play-space, or which are irrelevant to resolving a contested situation, it is not fudging--period. Rerolls are open, and occasionally also diegetic, so they are not fudging. Period.
Reroll meta-mechanics are just sanctioned fudging IMO, and are thus poor design. Edit to add: poor design in an RPG. In Yahtzee where re-rolling is a built-in part of the structure of the game, it's fine.

Remove ads