How do we fix the Sorcerer?

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
So, here's what I would do, were I to have a PC Sorcerer;

1) Get rid of the Sorcerer spell list. Sorcerers don't learn Sorcerer spells. Sorcerers learn spells. Sorcerers are now your catch-all "inherent spellcasters". Got a theme, but there's a spell outside the nonsensically restricted Sorc-list? Not a problem anymore. Worried about building "themed" spell lists for every Bloodline you can imagine? Not a problem anymore!
2) The following as either a Metamagic choice or as a class feature:
Energy Admixture
Choose a damage type which you gain this option. Anytime you cast a spell that deals damage, you can spend 1 sorcery point to change any or all the spell's damage sources to the type you selected when you gained this feature. If the spell is a cantrip, you do not need to spend any sorcery points to use this option.

You may change the damage type you selected when you gain a level in Sorcerer. You may also choose this option more than once; if you do, you can choose an additional damage type.

You can use Energy Admixture even if you have already used a different Metamagic option during the casting of the spell.

3): This metamagic feature:
Schism
You have learned how to split your psyche in order to produce effects no practiced spellcaster has ever managed. When you cast a spell with a duration that includes concentration, you may continue to maintain concentration on another spell you have already cast by spending a number of sorcery points equal to the level of the original spell you were maintaining concentration on. You may now maintain concentration on both spells. You remain subject to all other rules governing concentration, and any time you are forced to make a check to maintain concentration, you must make the check separately for each spell. While maintaining concentration on more than one spell, you have disadvantage on all d20 rolls made to maintain concentration.

You may not use Schism to concentrate on more than two spells.

4) I like the idea up-thread of Sorcerers being able to spend HD on a short rest to recover Sorcery Points. I'm not fully certain of how necessary it is, but it certainly strikes me as thematically appropriate.

If only Morrus had a dollar for every "let's fix the sorcerer" thread...he wouldn't need Patreon.

I am pretty sure WotC is not going to give out any more sorcery points, but Mike Mearls seems good with the notion of adding level 1-2 origin spells.

For myself, I think changing the name "mystic" to "sorcerer" and "intelligence" to "charisma" in the mystic write up is probably the easiest and best solution.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
If only Morrus had a dollar for every "let's fix the sorcerer" thread...he wouldn't need Patreon.

I am pretty sure WotC is not going to give out any more sorcery points, but Mike Mearls seems good with the notion of adding level 1-2 origin spells.

For myself, I think changing the name "mystic" to "sorcerer" and "intelligence" to "charisma" in the mystic write up is probably the easiest and best solution.

I think people use the terms ''fix'' and ''broken'' at little too loosely on this forum. There's nothing wrong with wanting to modify a class for personal preferences, dont need to convince the rest of the forum that something isnt working. I also admit it would be made easier if people did not jump on class modification's posts like someone's trying to steal something from them.

EDIT: Forgot what I came to say. I would like if there was a template/rules for ''lets fix..'' or ''class design'' posts to make them something more useful for brainstorming and less a fighting ground. Something like: To create a ''lets fix'' post, please tell 2 things that you think doesnt work as you would like, 2 things on how yourself would ''fix'' the class/feature and briefly explain your design points.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
I think people use the terms ''fix'' and ''broken'' at little too loosely on this forum.
We could say, 'work on,' 'enhance,' or 'customize?'

"Broken" is kinda redundant, this is a D&D forum, afterall. ;P

Oh, we could say 'desecrate' instead of 'fix' and 'classic' instead of 'broken.'

Tales and Chronicles

We could say, 'work on,' 'enhance,' or 'customize?'

"Broken" is kinda redundant, this is a D&D forum, afterall. ;P

Oh, we could say 'desecrate' instead of 'fix' and 'classic' instead of 'broken.'

I'd pay to see that.

''Mearls clearly an imcompetent idiot with an agenda. GIVE ME MY REVISED RANGER already, the one from the PHB is clearly classic and needs to be desecrated.''

From my french perspective, it sound sooo elegant.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Yeah, but I highly doubt anyone has ever said LEGO was "broken" and needed to be "fixed". Big difference between tinkering with a system and claiming it faulty as we see so many times on boards like this.

As an aside -- people actually do say this constantly. Usually it's phrased along the lines of, "LEGO nowadays has been dumbed-down with too many special pieces! They make it easy to follow the instructions, bun inhibit creativity! These kids today got no creativity! #getoffmylawn". There are also raging debates about the merits and failures of specific pieces or subsystems of LEGO, if you know where to look.

Passionate criticism is still passion.

Tony Vargas

Legend
''Mearls clearly an imcompetent idiot with an agenda. GIVE ME MY REVISED RANGER already, the one from the PHB is clearly classic and needs to be desecrated.''
And, as a bonus, you wouldn't be able to tell the h4ters from the 4vengers, they'd both be saying: "4e desecrated classic D&D!"

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I don't think you need to change much for a sorcerer. All I do is allow a sorcerer to expand their spell list with spells that match their origin.

For Dragon sorcerers, this is anything that deals the same damage as their draconic origin. It would also include an "dragon" type spell if they don't, for some reason, appear on the sorcerer list.
For Wild magic sorcerers, I'm not really sure which spells would need to be added to their list. Anything that has variable effects would be perfect.
Storm sorcerers, clearly anything storm related such as call lightning easily fits.
Divine soul doesn't need anything extra since they already get all of the cleric spells added.
I can't remember the rest.

I don't think anything needs to change for their sorcery points.

For number of spells known, I don't like the thought of a list of bonus spells known. This might be okay if the DM is ready to swap spells in and out of that list but I'd rather that the sorcerer is able to choose from an expanded list as I mentioned above and then I might just include more spells known. Whether that is more spells known at lower levels, perhaps they start with 3 or 4 spells at 1st level which allows them to swap in and out as they level up and open up higher spell levels, or keeping the progression to 1 spell/level after level 11.

I think people use the terms ''fix'' and ''broken'' at little too loosely on this forum. There's nothing wrong with wanting to modify a class for personal preferences, dont need to convince the rest of the forum that something isnt working. I also admit it would be made easier if people did not jump on class modification's posts like someone's trying to steal something from them.

EDIT: Forgot what I came to say. I would like if there was a template/rules for ''lets fix..'' or ''class design'' posts to make them something more useful for brainstorming and less a fighting ground. Something like: To create a ''lets fix'' post, please tell 2 things that you think doesnt work as you would like, 2 things on how yourself would ''fix'' the class/feature and briefly explain your design points.

In the spirit of your request (which is a good one), I have a two-pronged fix:

1) Replace Attunement with Resonance from PF2 (once we get the rules), remembering that the number of points you get to use magic items is equal to level+cha modifier, so the sorcerer will be in good shape.
2) Let the sorcerer change sorcery points into resonance points.

That means the sorcerer's identity is now "magic guy, and you can tell, because he is the best at using magic items." Bards, warlocks, and paladins come out pretty good too. Throw in a bone for clerics, rangers, and druids (for nonconsumable magic items that take more than one point to use, if you stick your god's symbol or druid/ranger totem on it, it takes one less point to use). Artificers will have their own system (that wizards will quickly steal) and mystics don't want magic anyway (if the Enworld forums can be believed).

Tales and Chronicles

In the spirit of your request (which is a good one), I have a two-pronged fix:

1) Replace Attunement with Resonance from PF2 (once we get the rules), remembering that the number of points you get to use magic items is equal to level+cha modifier, so the sorcerer will be in good shape.
2) Let the sorcerer change sorcery points into resonance points.

That means the sorcerer's identity is now "magic guy, and you can tell, because he is the best at using magic items." Bards, warlocks, and paladins come out pretty good too. Throw in a bone for clerics, rangers, and druids (for nonconsumable magic items that take more than one point to use, if you stick your god's symbol or druid/ranger totem on it, it takes one less point to use). Artificers will have their own system (that wizards will quickly steal) and mystics don't want magic anyway (if the Enworld forums can be believed).

I love that idea, that's a good niche for class.

For a month or so I've been in a big JRPG-as-D&D phase, buying all the Legend of Zelda encyclopedias and using old Final Fantasy gamer guide as adventure path. We all know that games such as Final Fantasy take the concept of ''class'' and go wild with it and that makes for niche yet funny new class. One concept I find lacking for classic D&D(I want a blue mage!) is the Item User, which is more or less a class that is an expert at using expendable items. 5e's thief rogue comes close, but your idea of a mix between sorcerer and artificer, something like a character who contains so much magical energy that it permeates its item. Love it.

I see a class that can expend magic item charge to heal itself or spend HD to recharge item. A class that could attune more magic items and benefit from having more item ''attuned''. Maybe even a class that could infuse homonculus with spell a detonate them. I'll think about it :p

Remove ads