Caliburn101

Explorer
I use the original provenance;

Minos (location) - pronounced 'my-noss'

Taurus (bull) - pronounced 'tore-us'

So Minotaur is pronounced 'my-no-tore'.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I've always said it much like a "country" accent here in the U.S. would say minnow and tar together (so I guess that's minn-uh-tar), but I've also always none that's not technically correct given the origin of the word.

Living in "cowboy towns" and New Orleans for nearly all of my life has had a certain effect upon my manner of speech.

When I'm trying to be clear as to what it is that I am talking about because I think the other person will know enough to correct my pronunciation, I just call it "the Cretan Bull."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Just trying to imagine this discussion going down irl
Bunch a guys standing around trying different ways to pronounce a word lol

In one episode of the show Crossing Jordan, two characters had a heated discussion as to the nature of what a Minotaur was...as they went about their tasks as a forensics team.

It was amusing.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've always said it much like a "country" accent here in the U.S. would say minnow and tar together (so I guess that's minn-uh-tar), but I've also always none that's not technically correct given the origin of the word.

Living in "cowboy towns" and New Orleans for nearly all of my life has had a certain effect upon my manner of speech.

When I'm trying to be clear as to what it is that I am talking about because I think the other person will know enough to correct my pronunciation, I just call it "the Cretan Bull."
I'm from NOLA. Not a good accent to base any pronunciation discussion on.

...unless it involves food terminology, in which case it is flawless.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
"Minn-uh-tarr" for me. Reminds me of an experience in grad school. One of the profs kept pronouncing the Greek letter "theta" as thee-tah (soft th) when everyone knows it's pronounced thae-tah. Drove me nuts that he was so wrong and refused to do anything about it. Then I found out that he was born and raised in Greece ... :blush:

Remove ads