• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you pronounce "Minotaur"?

Caliburn101

Explorer
I use the original provenance;

Minos (location) - pronounced 'my-noss'

Taurus (bull) - pronounced 'tore-us'

So Minotaur is pronounced 'my-no-tore'.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I've always said it much like a "country" accent here in the U.S. would say minnow and tar together (so I guess that's minn-uh-tar), but I've also always none that's not technically correct given the origin of the word.

Living in "cowboy towns" and New Orleans for nearly all of my life has had a certain effect upon my manner of speech.

When I'm trying to be clear as to what it is that I am talking about because I think the other person will know enough to correct my pronunciation, I just call it "the Cretan Bull."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Just trying to imagine this discussion going down irl
Bunch a guys standing around trying different ways to pronounce a word lol

In one episode of the show Crossing Jordan, two characters had a heated discussion as to the nature of what a Minotaur was...as they went about their tasks as a forensics team.

It was amusing.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've always said it much like a "country" accent here in the U.S. would say minnow and tar together (so I guess that's minn-uh-tar), but I've also always none that's not technically correct given the origin of the word.

Living in "cowboy towns" and New Orleans for nearly all of my life has had a certain effect upon my manner of speech.

When I'm trying to be clear as to what it is that I am talking about because I think the other person will know enough to correct my pronunciation, I just call it "the Cretan Bull."
I'm from NOLA. Not a good accent to base any pronunciation discussion on.

...unless it involves food terminology, in which case it is flawless.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
"Minn-uh-tarr" for me. Reminds me of an experience in grad school. One of the profs kept pronouncing the Greek letter "theta" as thee-tah (soft th) when everyone knows it's pronounced thae-tah. Drove me nuts that he was so wrong and refused to do anything about it. Then I found out that he was born and raised in Greece ... :blush:

Remove ads