• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many teachers on the boards?

pogre

Legend
Why did you have to remind me? ;)

Football triple sessions start August 10th - I'm not positive on our exact school start date, but it doesn't matter. Once football begins I have no life.

I'm painting, painting, painting in the last few precious days.

pogre

Legend
EricNoah said:
I still have nearly 4 weeks left. :cool: We go back Aug 29 and the kids show up on Sept 1.

Man! A librarian with a cushy schedule! Just go ahead and win the lottery Mr. Easystreet ;)

Samnell

Explorer
I failed student teaching to the degree of the cooperating teachers asking me to leave, this past spring. Seriously.

Psionicist

Explorer
You might enjoy this: http://omega.med.yale.edu/~pcy5/japanese/teacher.html

In August 2003 I moved to Kyoto, Japan as a part of the JET program. I am an assistant language teacher in three Jr. High schools. The experience has been...interesting to say the least. Interesting enough to warrant it's own editorial.

Sample:

Ok, so I'm an assisstant teacher in three Japanese middle schools. The grade levels are ichinensei, ninensei, and sannensei. Translated this just means "1st years", "2nd years", and "3rd years", and it's equivalent to American 7-9th grades. So the kids are about 12-15 years old.

For the ichinensei, they JUST started learning English. So this means they know nothing. Well, they know "Good Morning" and "I go to school by bike", but that's about it. Some of them don't even know that. It's not a bad thing, try to think about how much Spanish/French/German you knew after 3 years of it in High School. I took HS Spanish for 3 years and all I took out of it was "Yo quiero taco bell". My apologies to Mrs. Gonzalez, Ms. Kuchinski, and Mrs. Mach.

You know what's kind of funny though? Some kids can't say "Good morning", [...]

johnsemlak said:
I teach English abroad (look to the left). I teach year round, no summers off to me. It's 7. a.m. and I'm off to work now :(
How does one go about teaching English in Moscow? By that I mean How does one join the program? Who should I contact?

johnsemlak

First Post
Arbiter of Wyrms said:
How does one go about teaching English in Moscow? By that I mean How does one join the program? Who should I contact?

An English speaking gamer interested in coming to Moscow... Oh my god, how do I get him to come? Offer him a penthouse suite? Loads of pretty girls? Think, think, think...

Interested in teaching English is a exciting environment of a fast-developing city?

Well, it definitely depends on your experience and qualifications, but in general the best thing to do is get a Russian visa, come to Moscow, and go around to English schools and look for work. THere are loads of schools that hire.

There are a few schools that will hire from abroad, pay for the visa and travel, etc.

One of hte more respectable schools is BKC International House

http://www.bkc.ru/eng/

Many of the schools will require some sort of English Teaching Certificate. Most people have the CELTA, a one-month crash course.

Be forwarned, the pay aint great, especially at the schools that will take teachers with minimal experience. The one I linked above will pay your expenses, provided a shared apartment, and provide a bit of beer money.

The real way to earn money is to find priviate clients directly

If you want more info, email me at john dot semlak at gmail.com

So, browsing through the September issue of Dragon (issue 335), "First Watch," page 20, I noticed the Afternoon Adventures with Dungeons and Dragons and Mirrorstone's Adventures for Reluctant Readers program(s).

I called the 1-800 number, and now. . . something. . . is en route to the library of the school where I'm a credential candidate.

Does anybody here know if this is two seperate programs or an all-in-one, inclusive deal, and, moreover, just what sort of general impressions you have.

Has anyone here even gotten their copy/package/kit/whatever yet?

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, check out the links below, and/or Dragon 335.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/library

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/knights/reluctantreader

Oh, and one more thing: Does anybody here think I'll get grief for receiving a parcel at the school where I don't even actually work?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads