• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Quickly Do You Bounce Off a System?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I think my issue is that - while I don't mind reading PDFs - I prefer having the print copy to pass around a table if it sees actual play. I often feel that purchasing a PDF separately, then turning around and purchasing a print copy (bundled with a PDF) is something of a waste. [However, I suppose it's a bigger waste to buy a $50 hardcover/PDF combo and never play the thing!]
The starter sets is a different issue, especially when you get components like character packs, custom dice, etc.
I have a similar opinion about buying both PDFs and hardcopies. My approach is to only ever buy the PDFs. Then, if I start reading the PDF and like it enough to want to give it a try, I'll spring for the hardcopy (or a POD, if possible).

Juxtapozbliss

Explorer
I think my issue is that - while I don't mind reading PDFs - I prefer having the print copy to pass around a table if it sees actual play. I often feel that purchasing a PDF separately, then turning around and purchasing a print copy (bundled with a PDF) is something of a waste. [However, I suppose it's a bigger waste to buy a $50 hardcover/PDF combo and never play the thing!]
The starter sets is a different issue, especially when you get components like character packs, custom dice, etc.
Unfortunately my friends and I can only play virtually now. Moved too far apart.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Merchant was there from the beginning.

Bad memory on my part; I thought that came in in the Careers book.

Indeed though Mercenary was book 4, one did get Citizens of the Imperium which had a lot of non-military careers too. If one counts scouts as non-military, fully half of the original careers are non-military. There was a definite duality though, though I also think that Marc meant it as more representative of the era when every male had served in the military, he is a decorated Vietnam veteran. His example of the game in "Understanding Traveller" though is all narrative, and no rolling, others I think wanted a war game, not surprising as that was GDW's stock and trade. It was way more lethal than RuneQuest, combat usually lasted a few turns before people were out, surprise was key, if you got shot you were pretty much done. Once Book 4's Gauss Rifles were used, they were like death rays, killing everything.

I'm sorry, but I ran two different Traveller campaigns back in the day, and it really wasn't. I saw RQ characters killed by a single attack, and the only time I saw that occur in Traveller was in extremely imbalanced encounters (i.e. heavy weapons against unarmored opponents).

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I'm sorry, but I ran two different Traveller campaigns back in the day, and it really wasn't. I saw RQ characters killed by a single attack, and the only time I saw that occur in Traveller was in extremely imbalanced encounters (i.e. heavy weapons against unarmored opponents).
Armor back then was a modifier on the to hit roll. I saw it happen with a shotguns, autorifles, smg's, lasers, etc.. Anything 4d6 or over damage, and auto fire with two to hit rolls, versus even battle dress. First blood rule usually takes someone out as unconscious also on the first hit.

Another way it is bad as a mil sim is that the players are way to old, most soldiers are teens to early twenties.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Armor back then was a modifier on the to hit roll. I saw it happen with a shotguns, autorifles, smg's, lasers, etc.. Anything 4d6 or over damage, and auto fire with two to hit rolls, versus even battle dress. First blood rule usually takes someone out as unconscious also on the first hit.

Unconscious is not the same thing as killed. It isn't even necessarily a loss condition, depending on what else goes on in the combat.

Another way it is bad as a mil sim is that the players are way to old, most soldiers are teens to early twenties.

Eh. If people don't insist on sticking around until the serious attribute loss starts kicking in, that doesn't mean anything.

CandyLaser

Adventurer
My group and I bounced off City of Mist, despite loving the noir elements and generally being on board with PbtA-type systems. We were wishy-washy after our first session and finished after our second; luckily it was just planned as a one-shot so we got what we came for.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There’s no hard & fast rules for me on this. It’s just a question of whether I like how it feels. Nebulous, I know, but it’s as accurate as I can be.

There’s systems I bounced off reading reviews or perusing them in stores. Others might take extended exposure.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
Do you suggest trying something that you don't expect to work?
I have far too many games and campaigns I'm excited about and definitely want to run, but haven't had a chance to get to the table yet, to waste my time running things that don't interest me just to confirm I definitely don't like them.

Laurefindel

Legend
I like to say that a TTRPG’s character sheet is like a CV. If it doesn’t appeal to me or intrigue me at first sight, that RPG has failed the test. That’s the earliest step where I bouce off a game.

Then I look at the art. It doesn’t need to be breathtakingly amazing (though it helps), but it should convey the genre and desired aesthetic. If that game’s aesthetic or genre doesn’t speak to me, I bounce off.

Then I get a good read. If the mechanics are too bland or too baroque, I bounce off, although I generally am willing to give it a try. Unlike the OP, I love TOR and relish in surprising mechanics like Strength attribute ruling Alertness, or “game-y mechanics like per-encounter-abilities unlike another poster above. I’m mostly looking for the right level of crunch.

Then I get to play it. Sometimes I can’t “get the system to work” for me. Sometimes it gets better after a few games but if I still struggle after a few games, I bounce off. (Latest game I did that was 7th Sea 2e. I’m too much in the paradigm of “here’s an obstacle; now roll to solve it”. 7th Sea was too far into the “here’s a scene; roll now, and decide later which obstacle you wish to solve”. I really want to like this game but never succeed in playing right).

Then sometimes after a few more sessions, we realize the game is just not for us and we bounce off for… reasons.

Last edited:

Remove ads