• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) How should the Warlord be implemented in 1DnD?

Vaalingrade

Legend
Meanwhile the sergeant or the love interest or the coach shouting, screaming, or otherwise inspiring them back onto their feet is a key cinematic moment. And an inspirational class that can't do that to me fails as an inspirational class.
I'd go as far as to say the healing should be non-negotiable.

Not like it's going to break anything as combat healing is worthless in 5e.

mellored

Legend
Inspiring word: target creature regains 1 hit point, and a number of temporary hit points equal to your charisma modifier + twice your level in this class. In addition, if the target is prone, they can stand up as a reaction.
A creature can only benefit from this once per long rest.
At level 5, it becomes once per short rest.

Now they are back in the fight, but are still "injured". And you can't really rest-spam it to heal.
5a675b_550611.jpg

Inspiring word: target creature regains 1 hit point, and a number of temporary hit points equal to your charisma modifier + twice your level in this class. In addition, if the target is prone, they can stand up as a reaction.
A creature can only benefit from this once per long rest.
At level 5, it becomes once per short rest.

Now they are back in the fight, but are still "injured". And you can't really rest-spam it to heal.
So wait a second. Who "injured" them given there are normally no long term consequences for having been at 0hp? And they take precisely zero skill penalties for being at 1hp. Did the inspiring make them strain themselves?

Except the way some folks are describing the Warlord, their whole schtick would be predicated on acting like the party commander, right down to how their abilities work. The rogue's schtick is not predicated on stealing from the party, nor the cleric's on being intolerant. So, nice try, but these are poor comparisons and not a useful response.
I think you are not understanding that “whole schtick” then

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I don't mind the idea of Warlords granting temporary hit points, mind you. I think that's perfectly acceptable, though shouting someone out of a coma is something that occurs irl and it would be nice if that could be retained.

My main issue goes back to the whole hit point debate about what they/are not to some people, and why some methods of regaining hit points are kosher, but others are not, even as the game goes out of it's way to tell you your all-Fighter party doesn't need a Cleric, honest!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads