• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) How should the Warlord be implemented in 1DnD?

Eubani

Legend
I have only ever heard of the Warlord being in charge due to class in the form of "what if" sort of argument wheeled out to discredit the Warlords right to exist. The sort of player that would do that would find a way to be disruptive regardless of what they are playing, the Warlord or whatever name it would be called are not at fault for poor player behavior or weak DM table control.

Eubani

Legend
There are 4 ways that a Warlord provides Buffs:
1. Disrupting the enemy, which other players are not forced to take advantage of.
2. Providing Tactical advice which does not force anyone to follow.
3. Inspiration, bonuses granted can be chosen not to use
4. Pre existing plans, which require buy in to work.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Can you define "small amount"? Cure Wounds at level 1 heals 1d8+Wis. Healing Word heals 1d4+Wis. Each requires a daily use spell slot.
Second Wind heals 1d10+Fighter level and can be used 1/hour (side note: Purple Dragon Knights can share this benefit with others).
Cure Wounds heals 1d6+4+total Hit Dice/level of target and can be used 1/hour per target until you run out of magic duct tape (5 gp per 10 uses).
Hit Dice heal anywhere from 1d4 to 1d12+Con. You get one of these per level.

So is it just the ability to get more dice of healing that you're opposed to? Because it feels like non-magical healing is more efficient than magical healing in 5e.
Yes, cure wounds is a small amount. So is healing word. Doing that amount of healing without magic seems OK to me.

It's the people healing 40-50 hit points in a round or a few without magic that I think breaks the concept.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I don't know, there was a time being a level 9 Fighter made you a Lord and that didn't bother anyone.
Yeah, but back then you really were a Lord of your own castle, surrounded by NPCs. It was the highest level that some races could ever get to, and implied that you were one of the most important people in the land. (Unironically).

As for this whole "ah, this class makes you the boss of the party" I'm a bit confused on this point. So we're ok with Bards inspiring people, Clerics bolstering our morale to the point we get to add d4's to die rolls and increase our maximum hit point totals, and Paladins being so awesome just being near one gives you bonuses to saves and immunity to fear, but the idea that someone could improve morale by being a good leader or improve party efficiency through knowledge of tactics is a bridge too far?
Yeah, it's strange. Though AFAICT, it's not the name "Warlord" that causes that reaction in people, it's the usual 4e hate for using the term "Leader" for that whole character role. The problem lies (and it lies in a LOT of 4e hate) is that (while ALL D&D rulesets do this) 4e used words as inspiration for fluff, but did not intend them to be taken totally literally.

I want to point out the Mastermind Rogue already exists.
Yup.

Myself, I'm not fond of the name Warlord. Not because of some strange fear that players will use it as an excuse to misbehave, nor entirely because it's too lofty, but because in my head it's too... Genghis Kahn. Too despotic.

It's not a dealbreaker, though! In fact, I think they probably should make a really good support fighter subclass and call it Warlord just to make people happy. (As happy as they can be, I mean, obviously we'll all be on here arguing over why it didn't get to be a full class, naturally.)

Sacrosanct

Legend
What I would want out of the archetype is easy because last year I gave this a lot of though when I came up with the Commander Class for Chromatic Dungeons. ;) (I had to put a limit on parry because during our campaign, the PC using parry and not a 1 was ruining my day as a DM :p Seriously though, it was pretty OP).

Minimum Scores: INT 9, CHA 10
Ability Bonus: +1 to either INT or CHA
Armor Prof: All
Weapon Prof: All

1682349000169.png

NOTE: Commands and stances are not stackable with the same command or stance from another commander at the same time. Only one command or stance of the same name can be in effect at any given time.

Class Features

Commands (1st level): At first level, the commander learns one command from the command list. The commander can invoke 1 command in total per long rest. Additional commands and uses are granted as the commander levels as described in the table above. Unless otherwise noted, all commands require the commander’s action to invoke. Reactions will still use up one of the commander’s uses per day, and if the commander has none remaining, they cannot use the command, even if it’s a reaction.

Alter Morale (1st level): Modify the morale results by 1 point up or down for every odd commander level.

Leadership (1st level): +2 bonus to all persuasion or intimidation ability checks.

Stances (1st level): Choose one stance from the stance list. Stances are passive abilties that do not require uses of commands to invoke. These are inherent abilities, or abilities gained via motivation throughout the day that do not require actions to use unless specifically noted.

Improved Initiative (2nd level): +1 bonus to initiative rolls for every even level you have in Commander.

Rear Guard (4th level): Negates opponent to-hit bonuses upon you when being attacked from the rear, flanked, or surprised.

Extra Attack (6th level): At 6th level, gain extra attack when you use your action to make a weapon or unarmed attack. The attacks may be split up between moving, but must be made on your turn.

No One Left Behind (8th level): As a reaction to an ally falling to 0 or fewer hp from physical attack (weapon or magic), you can move up to your movement rate for free, and if applicable, apply bandage to stabilize target.

Iron Mind (10th level): Immune to fear and charm.

Stance List

Ambush If you have surprise, gain additional +1 point of damage for every odd commander level to each attack in first round. All allies in the encounter area gain this bonus.

Commander’s Luck You and all allies within 10ft of you gain a +2 bonus to saving throws.

Defending Command You and all allies within 10ft of you gain a +1 bonus to AC.

Drill Sergeant You and all allies in sight or earshot gain an increased carrying capacity of 5 lbs per commander level you have.

Push On +5 bonus to your movement rate. Spend an action to increase the movement of all allies within 50ft by 10ft until the end of your next turn.

Tactical Master Replace STR and DEX modifiers to hit with INT as if INT score was the same as STR (for melee) and DEX (for ranged). That is, if your intelligence is 15, you gain a +2 modifier to hit with melee and ranged attack rolls as if your strength and dexterity were 15 respectively.

Tactical Retreat Allies within 10ft of the commander do not need to disengage from battle to avoid any opportunity attacks.

We are Legion Commander and all allies within 10ft gain +1 damage reduction. +2 at level 5, +3 at 9, and +4 at 13.

Command List

Battle Speech Target alley gains 1 temp hp per commander level and +1 bonus to all saving throws. One target can be selected for every odd level of the commander. Lasts until end of combat encounter.

Combat Planning (reaction to initiative roll) Swap the initiative order of any two combat encounter participants. One of these can be you. At 12th level, swap up to 3 participants in the order you choose. At 20th level, you determine the initiative order of combat.

Commander’s Strike Give an ally within 50ft a +4 bonus to hit, and +1 dmg per commander level to their next attack as long as it resolves before the end of your next turn.

Distracted Enemy Mark one creature within 60ft that you can see. All attacks against targeted creature gain +1 bonus to hit for every odd commander level until the start of your next turn.

Heroic Motivation (reaction) Target any ally within 50ft who failed a saving throw. Allow that ally to reroll, taking the new roll.

Not a 1! (as a reaction to a natural 1 being rolled on any d20 roll) Allow target ally (or yourself) within 50ft to reroll that die, taking the new result, even if it’s a 1.

Parry (reaction to being attacked with melee or ranged attack) Turn a successful hit upon yourself into a miss. You may do this a number of times per long rest equal to your proficiency modifier.

Rally Target ally within 50ft recovers 2 hp per commander level.

Rejuvenating Speech Remove one negative status (such as fear, charm, paralysis, etc) from target ally within 30ft.

Sacrificial Move (as a reaction to an ally suffering a physical attack) You can move that damage to yourself, reducing it by half.

Set Up Sacrifice your action this round. An ally within 10ft can make a free attack instantly that doesn’t count against their action on their turn.

Shield Protection Grant a +4 bonus to AC, and 1 point of damage reduction per odd level of commander you have to an ally within 5ft of you until the end of your next turn.

Skirmisher (reaction to being attacked) Move up to your movement rate without provoking any opportunity attacks.

Study Enemy Learn an aspect of an enemy. All further attacks against that enemy will bypass any one identified resistance for the remainder of combat. Thus, by spending an action to study a creature resistant to non-magical weapons, all attacks for the remainder of the encounter after your turn resolves will bypass this resistance.

Tactical Advantage Switch places with willing creature within 10ft. This does not provoke any opportunity attacks. If you have multiple attacks, you can attempt one attack after swapping places.

You Can Do It Grant an ally within 50ft a +1 bonus for every odd commander level you have to their next ability check if it is taken within the next 1 minute.

Remove ads