• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) How should the Warlord be implemented in 1DnD?

Horwath

Legend
Fighter subclass.

redesigned purple dragon knight.
add some auras for save/move speed bonuses.

Pick Inspiring leader and Healer (half)-feats.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
may i ask the people who don't like the name warlord what about it you think is an inapropriate title for the class? just looking at the wikipedia description of the term it seems quite accurate to me, or at least no more inaccurate than some of the other class names.
A warlord is a person who exercises military, economic, and political control over a region in a country without a strong national government; largely because of coercive control over the armed forces.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Second Wind: Small amount
Hit Dice: Takes an hour
Healer Feat: Small amount

Like I said it needs to be magical if it's either more than a small amount, or a lot very quickly.

I'd be OK with granting temporary hit points by the way. Just not a lot of healing quickly, unless it's magical.
Can you define "small amount"? Cure Wounds at level 1 heals 1d8+Wis. Healing Word heals 1d4+Wis. Each requires a daily use spell slot.
Second Wind heals 1d10+Fighter level and can be used 1/hour (side note: Purple Dragon Knights can share this benefit with others).
Cure Wounds heals 1d6+4+total Hit Dice/level of target and can be used 1/hour per target until you run out of magic duct tape (5 gp per 10 uses).
Hit Dice heal anywhere from 1d4 to 1d12+Con. You get one of these per level.

So is it just the ability to get more dice of healing that you're opposed to? Because it feels like non-magical healing is more efficient than magical healing in 5e.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
may i ask the people who don't like the name warlord what about it you think is an inapropriate title for the class? just looking at the wikipedia description of the term it seems quite accurate to me, or at least no more inaccurate than some of the other class names.
I don't know, there was a time being a level 9 Fighter made you a Lord and that didn't bother anyone.

As for this whole "ah, this class makes you the boss of the party" I'm a bit confused on this point. So we're ok with Bards inspiring people, Clerics bolstering our morale to the point we get to add d4's to die rolls and increase our maximum hit point totals, and Paladins being so awesome just being near one gives you bonuses to saves and immunity to fear, but the idea that someone could improve morale by being a good leader or improve party efficiency through knowledge of tactics is a bridge too far?

I want to point out the Mastermind Rogue already exists.

Horwath

Legend
I think temp HP makes more sense than actual healing for a Warlord.

Or an ability which lets characters roll their own hit dice for healing in combat, rather than on a short rest.
This.

Ally in an aura of warlord can spend a Bonus action to spend a number of HDs equal to prof bonus of the warlord.

mellored

Legend
Damage reduction works for me.
I.e.
Warning shout: as a reaction, reduce damage by your warlord level.

Maybe a little first aid, but it only felt like they got healing because they filled the grid.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I don't know, there was a time being a level 9 Fighter made you a Lord and that didn't bother anyone.

As for this whole "ah, this class makes you the boss of the party" I'm a bit confused on this point. So we're ok with Bards inspiring people, Clerics bolstering our morale to the point we get to add d4's to die rolls and increase our maximum hit point totals, and Paladins being so awesome just being near one gives you bonuses to saves and immunity to fear, but the idea that someone could improve morale by being a good leader or improve party efficiency through knowledge of tactics is a bridge too far?

I want to point out the Mastermind Rogue already exists.
yes the boss thief who definitely decides who gets the spoils of conflict. (he is the superior planner)
Can you define "small amount"?
the definition is intrinsically inferior to casters... and less flexible.

Last edited:

Damage reduction works for me.
I.e.
Warning shout: as a reaction, reduce damage by your warlord level.

Maybe a little first aid, but it only felt like they got healing because they filled the grid.
Meanwhile the sergeant or the love interest or the coach shouting, screaming, or otherwise inspiring them back onto their feet is a key cinematic moment. And an inspirational class that can't do that to me fails as an inspirational class.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think we all know the class is based on inspiration or tactical advice. Anything further is an individuals add either to be "that player" or just one of the many arguments that are a tad short of honest ie just as valid as the it's magic line.
Yup this... a tad short of honest

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads