• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) How should the Warlord be implemented in 1DnD?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
So...do you automatically become the party leader
Yup he picks who gets what treasure and which adventures the group takes and whether they take prisoners and if they are willing to bribe someone and who gets kicked out of the group all that stuff and nobody gets any say in any of it.

Just like the Cleric who gets to decide the only ones he heals or raises from the dead are those who change to his religion and gets to condemn the rest to a horrific after life. He is the spiritual leader after all.

And the thief is actually supposed to steal from the party or he is not actually roleplaying.

Hence my suggestions of names with less authority.
Like coordinator, assistant, or tactician.
I've put a lot of thought into this, and for a very long time people have been debating which word best captures the "Warlord" archetype if that term itself is inappropriate for some reason. Most people are advocating for an existing word, and there is usually opposition to any existing word for a variety of reasons.
  • Some people don't want the Archetype name to be an actual military title, as it makes assumptions about their background: Captain, Officer, Marshal, and the like.
  • Some people don't want an existing word to be redefined as "martial tactician leader": Can a Wizard or a Paladin be a "Tactician"? Or can only the Fighter?
  • Some people don't like names that suggest that the character has authority over their peers: Like "Princess" or "Commander"
Rather than shoehorn imperfect real words, why not play around with alternatives, and create a new fantasy-themed name and give it a job in a multiverse where it is semi-normal to have squads of mercenaries and adventurers going on quests and fighting monsters. Embrace the potential D&D lore that could be created.

Here are some fantasy-sounding archetype names.
  • "Bravura" (It even has history)
  • "Tacticzar"
  • "Vanguardian"
  • "Warcaller"
  • "Warseer"
Anyone have even cooler names that evoke a fantasy battlefield shot-caller when you're not really military? One that doesn't assume they are the boss of the entire group?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I've always wondered why this remains a sticking point. 5e has ways to heal quickly without magic; Second Wind, spending Hit Dice, the Healer Feat.

Given how abstract hit points have always been claimed to be, it shouldn't really matter how you regain them, should it?
Second Wind: Small amount
Hit Dice: Takes an hour
Healer Feat: Small amount

Like I said it needs to be magical if it's either more than a small amount, or a lot very quickly.

I'd be OK with granting temporary hit points by the way. Just not a lot of healing quickly, unless it's magical.

Clint_L

Legend
Yup he picks who gets what treasure and which adventures the group takes and whether they take prisoners and if they are willing to bribe someone and who gets kicked out of the group all that stuff and nobody gets any say in any of it.

Just like the Cleric who gets to decide the only ones he heals or raises from the dead are those who change to his religion and gets to condemn the rest to a horrific after life. He is the spiritual leader after all.

And the thief is actually supposed to steal from the party or he is not actually roleplaying.
Except the way some folks are describing the Warlord, their whole schtick would be predicated on acting like the party commander, right down to how their abilities work. The rogue's schtick is not predicated on stealing from the party, nor the cleric's on being intolerant. So, nice try, but these are poor comparisons and not a useful response.

Eubani

Legend
Except the way some folks are describing the Warlord, their whole schtick would be predicated on acting like the party commander, right down to how their abilities work. The rogue's schtick is not predicated on stealing from the party, nor the cleric's on being intolerant. So, nice try, but these are poor comparisons and not a useful response.
I think we all know the class is based on inspiration or tactical advice. Anything further is an individuals add either to be "that player" or just one of the many arguments that are a tad short of honest ie just as valid as the it's magic line.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads