Paizo How will OGL 1.1 affect Pazio, PF1 and P2?

Scribe

Legend
I'm not a fan of PF2. But I stopped by my FLGS to pick up a copy. They were sold out. They didnt' have a ton of them, but there was a rush on sales.

Yeah, I'm heading into my local (not really local but closest!) shop tomorrow to see what PF stuff I can buy.

delericho

Legend
I wouldn't place too much hope in Paizo launching a big fight back.

Here's how I see things: WotC's big goal at the moment isn't about money per se (the OGL is small fry) - the main thing they want is to end Open Gaming as a concept. That means getting people to stop using the OGL 1.0 and, ideally, avoiding a challenge in the courts. They know that Paizo are the company best placed to launch that challenge, and also the ones with the most to lose.

Meanwhile for Paizo this is an existential threat - their existing games are too bound to the OGL to carry on as they are, and a court case would be at best highly expensive and very risky.

If I were WotC, therefore, I would offer Paizo a license to continue using anything and everything in the 3e and 5e versions of the SRD, royalty and reporting free, for X years - long enough for them to see out the current editions of Starfinder and Pathfinder. In return, they'd sign away their ability to use the OGL, and the new editions when they come would need to be new enough to avoid the need for an ongoing license.

And that way they both get what they want: Paizo carry on without legal headaches or risks, and WotC nullify their biggest risk. (It also explains their radio silence - negotiations are likely ongoing at how many years they need.)

And if that is the case, I absolutely couldn't fault Paizo for taking the deal. As I said, it's an existential threat, and they have too many people depending on them not to at least consider it strongly.

I wouldn't place too much hope in Paizo launching a big fight back.

Here's how I see things: WotC's big goal at the moment isn't about money per se (the OGL is small fry) - the main thing they want is to end Open Gaming as a concept. That means getting people to stop using the OGL 1.0 and, ideally, avoiding a challenge in the courts. They know that Paizo are the company best placed to launch that challenge, and also the ones with the most to lose.

Meanwhile for Paizo this is an existential threat - their existing games are too bound to the OGL to carry on as they are, and a court case would be at best highly expensive and very risky.

If I were WotC, therefore, I would offer Paizo a license to continue using anything and everything in the 3e and 5e versions of the SRD, royalty and reporting free, for X years - long enough for them to see out the current editions of Starfinder and Pathfinder. In return, they'd sign away their ability to use the OGL, and the new editions when they come would need to be new enough to avoid the need for an ongoing license.

And that way they both get what they want: Paizo carry on without legal headaches or risks, and WotC nullify their biggest risk. (It also explains their radio silence - negotiations are likely ongoing at how many years they need.)

And if that is the case, I absolutely couldn't fault Paizo for taking the deal. As I said, it's an existential threat, and they have too many people depending on them not to at least consider it strongly.
Yep, that’s 100% what WotC will do. Neutralise Paizo, cut off access to DrivethruRPG and they’ve basically won already.

delericho

Legend
Yep, that’s 100% what WotC will do. Neutralise Paizo, cut off access to DrivethruRPG and they’ve basically won already.
We're at the end of the first day in "Independence Day". The leaker is Jeff Goldblum. And the aliens are about to blow up the White House.

Anyone good with Morse Code? 😀

Remove ads