D&D (2024) How Will They Fix Warlock Spellcasting Issues?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
You could still stand in the dungeon doorway and spam summon lesser demons.

"The demons pursue and attack the nearest non-demons to the best of their ability."

Use arcane eye to make sure the creatures inside are viable targets, then send in the infinite demons. Get a zealot barbarian ally if you need more blood.
That what’s known as a bag of rats. Not compelling.

the demons attack the nearest non-demon. Better they don’t see a squirrel and waste half the spells duration chasing it. Or an innocent woodsman.

So far every “issue” is only possible by being a cheesy munchkin, or just doesn’t work.
And I am certain I haven't thought thought all combinations where an infinite supply of hp and remote damage would be helpful.
It should be helpful.

Helpful isn’t broken.

mellored

Legend
the demons attack the nearest non-demon. Better they don’t see a squirrel and waste half the spells duration chasing it. Or an innocent woodsman.
Not worried about duration when you can freely cast it again.

But I expressed my concerns. And there are plenty of ways to fix it (such as range limit or short rest invocations).

Still like the idea in general.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Not worried about duration when you can freely cast it again.

But I expressed my concerns. And there are plenty of ways to fix it (such as range limit or short rest invocations).

Still like the idea in general.
The feature itself could also specifically address spells that summon or conjure creatures, if necessary.

I just don’t believe that any spell on the warlock’s list should become less available, and I think a lot of “problem” spells would be if made SR recharge invocations, rather than finding another way to control their usage but keep them on the spell list.

mellored

Legend
Because you risk pissing off your patron or, in the case of the GOO l, waking it up.
Still feels pretty video-gamey to me.

I mean, if you want to take a risk... involve a dice roll.

I.e.
As a bonus action, you regain a spell slot and roll a d20. Reduce your maximum hit points by that amount as your patron takes payment.

Dausuul

Legend
Still feels pretty video-gamey to me.

I mean, if you want to take a risk... involve a dice roll.

I.e.
As a bonus action, you regain a spell slot and roll a d20. Reduce your maximum hit points by that amount as your patron takes payment.
Rather than damage each time, I'd grant one recharge guaranteed, then roll each subsequent attempt. 10-19, you recharge normally. 2-9, your patron says no; you're done for the day. On a 20, your patron is pleased and restores hit dice equal to your level; if this takes you over your limit, roll the extras and gain that many temp hp. On a 1, your patron is irritated and smacks you down to zero hit points (but stable).

mellored

Legend
Rather than damage each time, I'd grant one recharge guaranteed, then roll each subsequent attempt. 10-19, you recharge normally. 2-9, your patron says no; you're done for the day. On a 20, your patron is pleased and restores hit dice equal to your level; if this takes you over your limit, roll the extras and gain that many temp hp. On a 1, your patron is irritated and smacks you down to zero hit points (but stable).
It should scale by level somehow.

And I kind of prefer getting the spell but at increasing cost theme.

But yea. Several ways to do a die roll.

Remove ads