How would you stat a boomerang?

Alexemplar

First Post
Gosh, given how hard they are to actually use properly, it'd be nice if there were some sort of obstacle to any random Joe picking it up and using it. In 3E, I'd call them Exotic Weapons. I don't have the PHB yet -- is there anything comparable there?

The stats otherwise look fine.

Your random Joe doesn't have proficiency in any weapons.

Yaarel

He Mage
Simple Ranged Weapons
Throw Stick [1 sp] 1d6 bludgeoning [2 lb] − light, thrown (30/100)

Martial Ranged Weapons
Boomerang [5 gp] 1d4 bludgeoning [1 lb] − finesse, thrown (30/100), special

Special: if your attack with the boomerang misses, it returns at the end of your turn.

Notice. The throw stick benefits from Strength only, and can be used ambidextrously with a weapon in each hand.

By contrast, the boomerang can benefit from Dexterity or Strength, but requires special aim and body motion making it awkward for ambidextrous combat.

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
1d6 seems too high. You're saying that throwing a stick at someone is the equivalent of stabbing them with a spear or slicing them with an axe.

It's just not. Heck, even 1d4 seems silly.

Yaarel

He Mage
1d6 seems too high. You're saying that throwing a stick at someone is the equivalent of stabbing them with a spear or slicing them with an axe.

It's just not. Heck, even 1d4 seems silly.

[Edit.]

You are probably right. I had earlier editions in mind where ‘club’ is 1d6 and ‘mace’ is 1d8.

But 5e downgrades these to 1d4 and 1d6, respectively.

Last edited:

MechaPilot

Explorer
I'd treat a boomerang as a non-weapon, unable to even serve as an improvised weapon.

I know that's not the answer you're looking for, so how about this:

Boomerang
Martial ranged weapon
75 gp
1d6 bludgeoning damage
Returning (range 30/120), light

Returning: This weapon returns to you after being thrown (on a hit or miss). Because of the time required to catch it, you can throw it only once when you use an action, bonus action, or reaction to throw it, regardless of the number of attacks you can normally make.

In general, I'd agree with a fair amount of that.

I think 1d6 is more appropriate for a bladed boomerang (dealing slashing damage) or for a boomerang reinforced and weighted with small metal plates. I'd go with 1d4 for a more standard blunt, wooden boomerang.

I think the 75 gp cost is a bit high. I'd probably go with 50 for the 1d6 bladed or weighted version, and 25 for the standard wooden version.

I like the range you've given it.

I mostly like the returning property you gave it. However, I'd require an object interaction to catch the returning boomerang. If you used that up already, say to draw the boomerang on the turn you threw it, then you'd have to blow your bonus action to catch it. I'd also stipulate when it returns to you. I'd probably go with the end of your turn, but I can see a valid argument for the start of your next turn.

I think the determination of whether it's a martial or exotic weapon should probably depend on culture. Just as a boomerang would be an exotic weapon in Europe and a much less exotic weapon in Australia, so I could see it being an exotic weapon in some parts of the game world and a martial weapon in others.

I also wouldn't have a problem with the simultaneous existence of a cheapo, 1d4, returns only on a miss, simple ranged weapon version used by commoners to hunt small game (i.e. the real-world usage).

Yaarel

He Mage
Simple Ranged Weapons
Throw Stick [1 sp] 1d4 bludgeoning [2 lb] − light, thrown (30/100)

Martial Ranged Weapons

Boomerang [5 gp] 1d4 bludgeoning [1 lb] − finesse, thrown (30/100), special

Special: if your attack with the boomerang misses, it returns at the end of your turn.

Yaarel

He Mage

Should there be some kind of check to see if you catch it properly?

Remove ads