• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I have Heroes of Shadows

About the Blackguard's Holy Smite/Power Strike equivalent that deals auto cold + necrotic and additional ongoing cold + necro if the attack hits, how does the damage on that power scale, if it does at all?

CelticMutt

First Post
Thanks for doing this. :)
Vampires can use ki focus or holy symbol. They have a mix of melee, close and ranged attacks, all implement based targeting NADs. They get 3 at-wills, each targetting a different NAD (a will based 'pull closer' power, a fort based melee temp hitpoint gain, and a reflex based basic melee attack that pushes the enemy away).
Do they get all three at-wills, or do they have to choose two out of three?

Ah. That's a bit poop, but still that's not the worst thing ever.
Eh, it's just like the Cavaliers, which they're supposed to be the mirrors of. I think you can retrain or choose older powers instead of the common at-will anyways since it has a level. For Cavaliers at least - I'd assume the same goes for Blackguards.

So, Con-based warlocks are still shafted, but there is a good ammount of stuff that can be taken by a STR cleric that doesn't have a great WIS.
I suspect taht if the Class Compendium for the Warlock ever gets done, it will be errata'ed so it's Cha prime for everything.

As for Flail Expertise, the Class Compendium article for Feats is sometime this month. If they actually manage to hit their "deadline." Maybe FE will appear there?

Aegeri

First Post
One example, at 29, the cleric gets a melee touch daily where they spend a surge to deal bloodied value in necrotic damage, as an effect, no roll necessary.
This was asked elsewhere but I've noticed this myself and am curious: Is that the targets bloodied value or is it the bloodied value of the creature? If that's the targets bloodied value then that is just incredibly ridiculous on solos. But I imagine it's the warpriests bloodied value. A whopping amount of damage as an effect without a roll seems rather absurd though.

Also what are some of the Death domains general features and other dailies like?

Cheers, you are doing us all proud and keep up the good work (once you arise from your slumber that is).

CelticMutt said:
Do they get all three at-wills, or do they have to choose two out of three?
I'd say it would be all three from the way he put it. Given they get few choices and are pretty much straight on rails, being able to choose any NAD to attack would be a huge advantage (especially given their mechanics).

Last edited:

CelticMutt

First Post
I'd say it would be all three from the way he put it. Given they get few choices and are pretty much straight on rails, being able to choose any NAD to attack would be a huge advantage (especially given their mechanics).
It's certainly what I'm hoping for. :D

Of course ... I'm also hoping that eventually Dragon will do at least new powers, if not a whole new build for the Vampire. Preferably before Halloween.

mageta80

First Post
I suspect taht if the Class Compendium for the Warlock ever gets done, it will be errata'ed so it's Cha prime for everything.

I can understand your point of view, but I sure hope not that it will be the case. I like that my infernal warlock is naturally tough and durable, it's part of my fun.

Could be CHA primary and CON secondary, but in that case the AC will lack behind, and INT will still be important for all the riders and for damage at Epic. Unless a complete upheaval of the class, powers and feats is coming.

---

My questions for the very kind WalterKovacs:

Does the Blackguard has access to plate & heavy shield and does it have defender hit points and surges like the paladin?

Likewise, does the Binder has HP/Surges/Armor like a Warlock (12+Con HP, 5 by level, leather armor) or like a classic controller (10+Con HP, 4 by level, clothes armor)?

Does the encounter powers of the Binder have Miss/Effect lines (from the previews of DDXP they didn't !)

No return of "Intrinsic Nature" abilities for Summons?

Is there anywhere in the book a clarification about powers that have both the Implement and the Weapon keywords?

Does the CHA mod to damage when getting CA for the Blackguard scales? (2+CHA mod at level 5, ...)

---

Thanks again WalterKovacs, this book looks nice so far. Particularly the Blackguard seems a blast to play . It will be a great and tough striker (but why will we play an Infernal Hexblade again? Sigh.)

Looking forward the new Paragon Paths. Oh, the vampire too.

But...

/rant on

...I can't understand why they publish another At-Will striker power that deals necro damage (the new gloom hexblade) without a feat or item that lower necro resistance AND in the same book made a Necromancer with a feature that ignores the same resistance & a cantrip to lower it.

For the sake of the Infernal/Gloom Hexblade, I demand the access of the cantrip NOW & FOR FREE. Or am I forced to Eldritch Blast my undead enemies to "death" because there is no wizard in my party?

That is madness. :rant:

/rant off

If so it'll be strange if the Cleric Class Compendium (*) doesn't errata the Str Cleric out of existence. The Con Warlock has had much more support than the Str Cleric ever has.

* Need to add a word beginning with "P" to the end of this, for acronyms sake.

the-golem

Explorer
If so it'll be strange if the Cleric Class Compendium (*) doesn't errata the Str Cleric out of existence. The Con Warlock has had much more support than the Str Cleric ever has.

* Need to add a word beginning with "P" to the end of this, for acronyms sake.

Primer?
Preview?
Poopdeck?

..what, Clerics can be Pirates too! (oh, another one!)

Ranadiel

First Post
Any changes to the Revenant's unnatural vitality? A DDXP char sheet suggested it was changed so the Revenant is dazed instead of being limited to one standard action while in subzero HP.

AntlerDruid

Explorer
Can you please tell me briefly what the new Binder Utility powers are for 2nd & 6th level is?

Do Binders get any other "summoning" powers except for the one at 9th & the paragon lvl one?

Do Binders still only get Wands & Rods as implements?

So you get a max of 3 uses of blood drinker per encounter at 11, but it does require you take the paragon path, otherwise you only get 2. Your other encounter power is feral assault (or unleashed fury), the attack you can spend a surge on to either target a second creature or boost the damage against one.

... So from levels 3 to 6 your encounter powers leave you surge neutral? Ouch! That sucks. (Pun intended). Do you get to spend before or after rolling?

Remove ads