I really don't think it should be called the "ORC license"

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I only wish they chose boring legal language so we didn't have to be distracted with debates on the political correctness of orcs. Besides, the community will come up with cute alternate names from any initials anyway.

Open Source Gaming License

OSGL

Orcs Slay Gatekeeping Lawyers

There you go. And I'm sure sci-fi TTRPG fans could come up with their own clever names. Needn't be anchored in fantasy genres.

Reynard

Legend
Count me as one more "ORC is good" vote.

The limiting factor is not access to rules, seldom access to dice or cards, but all too often...
the limiting factor is access to people willing to play any given game/setting.
Sure. It takes more effort. That doesn't make it impossible.

However, there's only one kind of tea here, and I'll die on that hill: If you ask for tea in GA, you're getting cold syrup. Anything else is by special request.
Oh, so true.

Unless I was eating at some kind of chain, where they actually served plain iced tea, I grew accustomed to ordering hot tea and a glass of ice. I remember hearing once when going to my favorite greasy spoon "oh, there's that nice young yankee who wants his northern tea. Here ya go, hon." I was just trying to show my pancreas some mercy.

Fun times!

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Trying to haul this back into some semblance of on-topic:

The industry is healthier than it has ever been, AND D&D is more popular than it has ever been. These two things are in no way mutually exclusive.

The dialogue around success in this industry needs reframing. Paizo is an extremely successful TTRPG publisher, and all of their games together make up about 5% of campaigns being run online.

Wizards and D&D is not a meaningful benchmark of market share, especially not right now.

Looking to roleplay more? Don't focus on finding players for a campaign. Focus on building a diverse group of players with complex interests who find playing together more compelling than playing a particular game.

MGibster

Legend
I only wish they chose boring legal language so we didn't have to be distracted with debates on the political correctness of orcs. Besides, the community will come up with cute alternate names from any initials anyway.
I suspect this only a debate among a miniscule number of people, mostly online, with an overwhelming number of people not being in the least bit offended.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Speaking for myself only, I have found it relatively easy to get people to play one-shots (or short "campaigns" - that last no more than 3-4 sessions) of all sorts of games. It's why I've been able to explore so many rules-lite and one-page games, and have created a bunch of my own for home use. None of those is traditional fantasy.

But just like most people, I struggle to sell people on playing other games for anything more than that. Any campaign has to be D&D. I don't know what it is- obviously, it's not a "learning rules" issue because people are fine doing it just for a single game. I just can't get them to commit to a real campaign of anything that isn't D&D/fantasy.
I might be investment. My group and I are heavily invested in D&D. We have tons of books and want to use them. It would be very hard and probably impossible for me to convince them to walk away from that and do something new. Heck, I don't want to walk away from it. The second issue for me and some in my group is time. We only have 1 day to meet and play, so D&D it is. If I had time for a second day of RPG play, I'd be open to trying something new short term like you describe in your first paragraph, and if I liked it I'd be open to a long term campaign. But I don't have the time.

Remove ads