(IC) Against the Giants PBP Group 2

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC:
If the snake does not find a way, he will cast a spell to look beyond the door.
A snake can slither under the gates. Let me know: Do you send it under the first gate you come to (East wall, "courtyard" gate - the one most obvious on the picture I posted) or do you continue clockwise down the wall to the south end and send it under the "main" gate near the watchtower? Also: Give me a stealth check for the snake (does a familiar get the PWoT bonus from its master or does it need its own? Hmm...

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Gimlak follows the group, impressed by the spell that makes him quieter than he is used to.

As they discuss near the wall, he says "We should scout the perimeter and get a sense of the number of giants inside. We should pick them of one by one if we can. If need be, I can try to create a tunnel to access inside under the wall."

OOC: Nice, natural 20 on the stealth roll for a total of 32
I'm assuming that mould earth can dig under the wall.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The company crossed the open field between the rocky tor and the steading's palisade without incident. They hugged the twenty-foot palisade wall - on their right was the eastern gate and north of that the outbuilding. On their left was the long eastern wall of the steading, with two stone chimneys twenty-five feet high. Around the corner, on the left, out of sight now but in view earlier, was the main gate. Behind it was the watchtower. Around the corner toward the right (northward) the outbuilding had two chimneys, one of which (the closer) was not smoking.

OOC: Okay, let's present some options: 1) Eastgate (snake under see what's up, tunnel under); 2) Head south (left) to the main gate and/or watchtower. 3) Climb a chimney (look large enough to climb down inside of). If so, probably the non-smoking one in the outbuilding? 4) PROFIT!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The Colonel, silent so far, assesses the building.

"Here's another possibility, that can perhaps work alongside what you've suggested. I can get onto the roof, or into the guardhouse, with perhaps one other. From there I can let down a rope for the rest. From there we can have an aerial access to the courtyard, or to the main hall through the thatched roof.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: Just in case anyone is having trouble visualizing what I'm talking about...though it's a bit pulled-back to make yourselves out...

G2Stead0.jpg

Notes: The outbuilding is Top Right. The Watchtower is Bottom Left (both are partially off the map); Bottom middle is the main gate; PCs are on the right-hand side, around a chimney just below the eastern gate. Doc intends to move clockwise to the watchtower, but Duvrael has also suggested letting snake under a gate. Lots of ideas.[/ooc]

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
OOC:

A snake can slither under the gates. Let me know: Do you send it under the first gate you come to (East wall, "courtyard" gate - the one most obvious on the picture I posted) or do you continue clockwise down the wall to the south end and send it under the "main" gate near the watchtower? Also: Give me a stealth check for the snake (does a familiar get the PWoT bonus from its master or does it need its own? Hmm...

Hisss the snake familiar slithers underneath the first gate and its master closes his eyes in order to perceive through the serpent’s senses.

OOC: I think PWoT specifies which creature benefit from it, and I doubt that included a familiar that didn’t reveal itself up till then. But…

Stealth familiar: 1D20+3 = [20]+3 = 23

With that roll, it doesn’t matter.

So first the closest gate.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Durable stood by the eastern gate and his eyes went snake-like as he looked through the eyes of his familiar, who went under the heavy wooden door. There was a wide, L-shaped courtyard (with, thankfully, plenty of grass for the snake to hide in, up against the sides of either building. The center was worn to bare dirt, and filthy with animal waste. And there were the animals: Across the courtyard, at the bend, were four horse-sized wolves. They were fighting over bones in an enormous scrap-pile. Two were young and backed off quickly, while the other two snarled and snapped at each other. Noise and smell (as the snake flicked its tongue) from a big door beyond them suggested that through it was a bustling kitchen.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
”Four large wolves,” Duvrael intones, eyes still unseeing.

”A courtyard before the kitchen. No giants in sight.”

The wizard waits before his familiar has returned before getting back to his own eyes and ears.

”The wolves are distracted but will notice us immediately. Magical invisibility will not fool their noses.”

With an expectant look Duvrael looks at Kahru. From what he gathers, the northlander has some druidic magic and may be able to deal with the giant wolves.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Silent as a corpse, Doc was the first to move and Kahru like the others followed behind. The idea of burning the whole place to the ground and slaying the inhabitants as they came out had some appeal to the Barbarian, though that might reduce his chance of recovering the stolen whistle.

Though he was wise enough to remain silent and patient enough to bide his time observing, the Barbarian was not one for clever schemes, a stealthy entry and strong attack was his style. So as the others put their ideas down he spent his time scanning the building assessing its constructing - sturdiness, flaws, points of entry or exit besides the gates and places that might be climbed.

He saw Hisss the snake familiar slither beneath the gate and grinned as he considered the possibility of himself doing the same - a new form!

When Duvrael returns with the report of four wolves Kahru considers the possibilities. “I will need to be able to see them, and they must see me” he explains “even then four may be too many to calm -”

It was the Colonel that suggested climbing to the roof as an option, and that idea appealed to Kahru, especially as he had the option of flying up and then spying out the full lay of the steading and the numbers inside. He might also better observe the wolves and come up with a clearer strategy…

Last edited:

Remove ads