(IC) Against the Giants PBP Group 2

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
OOC:
Sorry, out for the weekend. I would go with taking out the guard at the watchtower. But that would just be me, and it seems like most people want to send Larry down. So, let's do that and get it goin'!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: I proposed greater invisibility because @JustinCase’s didn’t have invisibility on his character sheet
OOC: Actually, he does. Maybe you looked at the sheet before he finished it. I'm going to assume he casts it, even though he hasn't chimed in, just to get things moving. I'm sure he'd be okay with it. Invisibility is a much better choice here than Greater, what with 1 hour duration.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
OOC: awesome call to get regular invisibility!!!! We'll have an invisible reconnaissance drone for 1h. Note that Gimlak instructs Larry to come back every 8 minutes or so, so he can re-initiate telepathic speech (otherwise, as per the summon aberration spell, he'll basically freeze waiting for instructions if none are given to him)

Gimlak smiles as Larry disappears. He telepathically instructs the aberration to silently go down the non-smoking chimney, scout, and describe what he sees, and to head back after about 4 minutes. To make sure, he asks that someone count to make sure the telepathic link doesn't expire As Larry describes what he sees, Gimlak verbalises everything to his companions.

OOC: Not sure how you wanted to handle the duration of telepathic speech. I'm assuming that my character has a sense of how long he can maintain the connection.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
With their hiding spot seeming secure, the group discussed not "wasting" their time with Gimlak's summoned aberration. This came with a quiet discussion of the wizard's magic, and led to Duvrael offering to turn the beholder-kin invisible to scout while they waited.

With that, the hour passed as the invisible Larry would periodically leave and return (surprising everyone with a slightly-too-loud "Gbrabgh!" as he announced his return. During the scouting, the dwarf and the aberration would telepathically argue for a while, as Gimlak tried to get more precise details off the lazy and rude beholder-kin.

Eventually, the group were able to put together some (hopefully accurate) details:

OOC: With a map!
SteadingG1Bird.jpg
OOC: Map Key: 1) Where the party arrived; 2) Gatehouse (guarded); 3) Watchtower (giants); 4) Smoke-less chimney; 5) Great Hall bonfire smoke-hole; 6) Kitchen roof (PCs are HERE!); 7) Courtyard (4 dire wolves); 8) Outbuilding (sleeping ogres)

Larry stubbornly refused to give exact numbers, but he reported that there was a large party of giants in the Great Hall (a large room in the middle). The "king" was entertaining guests there, probably not more than a dozen, all giants. (Larry was unclear on the type). He revealed that there were actually more than one (Gimlak narrowed it down to three) giants in the watchtower (Kahru had only seen one) and guards (probably ogres) in the gatehouse.

Larry had gone down the two smoke-free chimneys. The one in the outbuilding, Larry reported "sleeping ogres", while the one at the south-west corner, he reported "one giant" but had no idea what the giant was doing, other than being "awake in the room". By his reluctant description, Gimlak thought that the giant was likely a Stone Giant.

It was fully dark by the time Larry disappeared, but the kitchen fires burned for another hour. A light rain began, washing away the mists that had rolled down out of the hills, but making any chance of a roof fire unlikely. They were cold, damp and cramped from sitting on the wet thatch roof, but the various noises from around the steading had died down and so had the smoke from most of the fires, with one exception: The fire from the chimney that they had initially climbed to get on the roof increased, and the one further south from that one stayed steady.

The bonfire in the great hall still burned, but the smoke from the giant smoke-hole calmed, indicating that it was burning low. Things would likely have changed somewhat, since Larry's reports.

Last edited:

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Reckon we should take care of the guards, first.

OOC:
Recommend we take care of the three giants in the watchtower first. Ideally, it would be nice to go after the sleeping ogres, but we'd have to go by the dire wolves. Don't think dropping in on the great hall, even if they're sleeping, is a great idea.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
There was a noise from below and a hill giant came out from a door not far beneath them. He crossed the courtyard, and the dire wolves barely took notice of him. (they had moved to comfortable grass and were now curled up, fat on scraps and dozing). The giant began to slowly circle the courtyard, on guard duty.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Kaligan says, "We could go down the kitchen chimney. It's far from the tower and it's dark out, so we would not be seen. Once inside, we can explore and engage as we will, without the tower guards being aware."

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Kitchens mean fire, knives and scrounging guards” the Barbarian opined before looking back to the guard tower.

Kill the guards then down the smokeless chimney is my plan” Kahru announced his intention. The gunman made him uneasy but Kahru had to agree about taking out the guards and was already moving that direction, pausing at the apex to see if at least one other would back him up …

OOC: Stealth_: 1D20+1 = [13]+1 = 14

At roof Apex will check what guard is doing, then sneak to Chimney 4.

Kahru StormBear AC15 HP 83/83 HD 9/9 PP16 SSdc14 4/4 3/3 3/3 WS 2/2 Rage 3/3 Staff 5/7

Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Duvrael offers no explanation as he softly starts casting another spell. Producing a small piece of cured leather from a pouch on his bandoleer, he touches it to his other hand while intoning a few eldritch phrases and making complicated gestures. A greenish sheen of scales appears on his skin briefly before fading.

"I can make one of the guards attack the others," Avrael offers matter-of-factly as he puts the spell component back, confident in his magical prowess.

The wizard seems a bit distracted, as if making plans and calculations in his head rather than listening to the input of the others.

"However, violence will likely attract more attention than we want. We could draw out most of the giants with a distraction, but they will return faster than we can escape. I've only got one or two invisibility spells left, but that will not fool the wolves. One of us could go down there and tie up a few sleeping giants, slowing them down when they wake up."

He seems to be thinking out loud rather than coming to any conclusion.

OOC: Sorry, you guys are posting a lot faster than I can keep up with over the weekend. :)

So Duvrael has cast Invisibility on the beholderkin (feel free to assume I can cast whatever spell you need if I'm not online for a few days), and has now cast Mage Armor on himself.

I can cast Enemies Abound on one of the giants or ogres, making them attack its allies, and when doing so I will use the Portent to replace their saving throw roll with the '4' I rolled earlier. :)

Duvrael AC15* HP 56/56 HD 9/9 PP15* SSdc17 3/4 2/3 3/3 3/3 1/1 P 4,17
Reaction readied: Cast Shield spell when hit by an attack, increasing AC to 20 and potentially turning a hit into a miss.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Kaligan nods in agreement at Duvrael's words that attacking the guards will likely attract more attention than we want. "We are already past them. Let's go down and deal with what giants are inside."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases