• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [IC] Against the Slavelords

GreenKarl

First Post
Tirion is sure that the bear understands his and Levanna's words. It's light blue eyes reflecting in the unnatural light almost glow with intelligence. Kelvin is sure that the bear is not a 'natural' bear, there is something off about it. It is very similar to the bear that was used to kill the escaped slave at the Devil's Den fighting pit.

The bear then sits on its hindquarters and huffs a couple of times. It eyes each of the heroes for a second and finally settles at staring at the priest Tirion. After a few more minutes and then seems to shift; starting to shrinking! Not much but within a few second the bear had transformed in a large humanoid female (not quite human, and standing at least seven feet tall). She carries no weapons and is dressed like a forest barbarian of the Suss.

In a deep baritone voice she says "Well ye ant orks and that's why yer still alive. But orkkind are not the only plague on these lands. So I give ye a chance to prove yer not with the iron man, before I decide weather or nots to kill you..."

GM: Now that she is chance you all recognize that she was a full bear-form werebear... but the biggest werebear any of you have ever heard of or seen. You get the strong feeling she rarely takes on human form. With Kelvin and Levanna earlier Nature roll, they think she is a 'natural-born' were-creature. These beings were not cursed with lycanthropy but instead born of werebear parents, etc.

[sblock=Human form]
This is close but her eyebrows are much thicker and her hair is a bit darker in color...and of course she is standing around seven feet tall.

werebear.female.jpg
[/sblock]

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Tirion Cayde, Cleric Level 5 (Life)

Cave south of Elredd
Day 2/Midday

Tirion watched with fascination as the bear changed, shrank slightly, shifting into a more or less human form, though still large.

“No, we are not orcs,” Tirion agreed, “nor are we with the iron man. We are our own,” Tirion told the bear. “However, we may have seen another of your kind in the village, fighting in the pits,” he told her, considering. “They called him...Goregell, I believe? We did not mean to bother you, but we were about to go hunting the orcs, and your tracks were at the scene, and around the farmsteads.”

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Conditions: Guidance

Inspiration: 1

Initiative: +0
Perception: +4 (Passive: 14)
Speed: 30
AC: 20 (plate and shield)
HP: 33/33 HD: 5/5d8
Main Hand: None
Off Hand: None

Prepared Spells:
Cantrips: Guidance, Thaumaturgy, Mending, Sacred Flame
1st: (Bless, Cure Wounds), Healing Word, Guiding Bolt, Command
2nd: (Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon), Prayer of Healing, Hold Person, Blindness/Deafness
3rd: (Beacon of Hope, Revivify), Spirit Guardians, Dispel Magic, Mass Healing Word

Spell Slots Remaining/Total
1st: 4/4
2nd: 3/3
3rd: 2/2
[/sblock]

BlueLotus

Explorer
[section]
Levanna could not help a smile from spreading on her lips as she watched the bear transform into the tall woman. Despite her skill with the arcane arts, she still held much of her sense of wonder and excitement at discovering the unknown as she did as a child.

Stepping beside Tirion, Levanna nodded her agreement with the cleric.

"I have so many questions for you.... But perhaps the most important is 'will you speak with us'? Perhaps we can lend aid to each other. I have no love of the orcs in this area and even less of the Iron Men. I would see them both plague these lands no more."

Levanna then introduced herself and the others.
[/section]

[sblock='Mini Stat Block']
Levanna (Wizard 5) 5th level
Initiative: +1 Perception: +2
Passive Perception: 12
Passive Investigation: 17
Speed: 30'

AC: 14
HP 32/32

In Hand:Quarterstaff

Spell Save DC: 14

Prepared Spells:
1st: Mage Armor, Shield, Feather Fall, Magic Missile,
2nd: Misty Step, Suggestion, Invisibility, Flaming Sphere
3rd: Counterspell

Spell slots remaining/Spell slots total:
1st: 3/4

Active Spells (c) denotes concentration
Mage Armor, Light

Character Sheet
[/sblock]

Last edited:

GreenKarl

First Post
At the mention of the other bear in the fighting pits the woman stands even straight and takes a step forward. There is fire and hot-hatred in those eyes. For a second her shape starts to shift as her emotions take over, but then she growls deep in her throat and seems to calm. "I do not recognize the name but I am seeking my mate in these lands. Two moons ago he was traveling here to hunt and fish along the waters by the great sea. We often travel apart, as is our way. But he should have returned to our den at the last moon and so I came in search of him. We are rare these days as the great darkness of evil and corruption has spread into the Suss and greenwood. I doubt there is another of our breed in these lands. Tell me of this 'fighting pit'..."

Her gaze then falls onto Levanna and she adds "On this we can agree. Once these lands were dangerous but not corrupted. Evil has crept into the lands and a new dark power is rising up from the dark places of the earth..."

Forged Fury

First Post
Brak Blood-Bear, 5th Level Barbarian

Brak looked the woman up and down appreciatively. He liked tall women. But, he kept his yap shut about the fighting pit considering he was fully willing to fight her mate and kill it.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer

Cave south of Elredd
Day 2/Midday

“Yes, the Dragon Below. We have heard and seen tidings of this threat. Iconography on the keep in the village, and in the missive of the orc shaman we found among the bodies of the scouts. What do you know of this dragon?” he asked.

“I will tell you what I can of the fighting pits. They are in the large wooden building near the center of the village. When we first entered, a large bear was in the pit, mauling on some slave chained down there with him. When he was done, he walked back into the underside of the arena and was caged by the fight mistress there. He seemed willing enough, though I admit to not knowing if he was one of your kind or not, if you do not know his name. I was just warned that he was...testy. I never saw him transform as you have,” Tirion admitted.

[sblock=Mini Stats]

Prepared Spells:
2nd: (Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon), Prayer of Healing, Hold Person, Blindness/Deafness
3rd: (Beacon of Hope, Revivify), Spirit Guardians, Dispel Magic, Mass Healing Word

[/sblock]

GreenKarl

First Post
The female rubs her chin with her finger thinks and says "I know legends and hearsay, I know not how much truth there is too it. The rumors say that around the time that the orks captured the southern sea port, that a wildmen from the Pomarj came down from the mountains and started preaching this new cult. He quickly gathered many new followers and they disappeared back into the Drachensgrab. Recently they have returned and now seem to cast others into bondage for the glory of their dark god's need to rule over all others..."

"As to the temperament of mate, we do not do well in captivity and we do not normally take on... human form. It is... uncomfortable for us. From what you have said I would think he has been bewitched in someway, mayhaps poisoned."

KahlessNestor

Adventurer

Cave south of Elredd
Day 2/Midday

Tirion nodded to the were-bear female. “The bear did seem rather...docile to his handlers, considering he was fighting in the slave pits,” he mused.

“Now, you ran into the orc patrol. Do you know where the orc tribe is gathering?” Tirion asked the she-bear.

[sblock=Mini Stats]

Prepared Spells:

[/sblock]

Forged Fury

First Post
Brak Blood-Bear, 5th Level Barbarian

Brak mentally agreed with Tirion's assessment. The bear did seem to be off a bit in the pits. He scuffed the toe of his boot on the ground as the party continued their discussion with this interesting creature.

BlueLotus

Explorer
[section]
Levanna nodded in agreement with Tirion as he spoke with the tall woman.

Levanna shuddered at the thought of the enslaved werebear. No creature should be forced to live as he does. But the confirmation that he is sentient made his captivity all the more appalling to the wizard.

"These lands have troubles in great supply. I would aid her in freeing her mate, but I doubt we could do both if she intends to act immediately," Levanna said to the party. Worry flashed across her eyes. She then turned to the werebear and voiced her concern. "What will you do about your mate?"
[/section]

[sblock='Mini Stat Block']
Levanna (Wizard 5) 5th level
Initiative: +1 Perception: +2
Passive Perception: 12
Passive Investigation: 17
Speed: 30'

AC: 14
HP 32/32

In Hand:Quarterstaff

Spell Save DC: 14