• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [IC] Against the Slavelords

BlueLotus

Explorer
[section]
"Tirion speaks wisely. With all of our efforts combined we can drive off these orcs easier than if we all acted separately. But if some of the villagers are afraid of you, then I am concerned that they may do something rash right in the middle of the battle. I would not see you suffer harm because of ignorance or misunderstandings"
[/section]

[sblock='Mini Stat Block']
Levanna (Wizard 5) 5th level
Initiative: +1 Perception: +2
Passive Perception: 12
Passive Investigation: 17
Speed: 30'

AC: 14
HP 32/32

In Hand:Quarterstaff
Off Hand: None

Spell Save DC: 14

Prepared Spells:
1st: Mage Armor, Shield, Feather Fall, Magic Missile,
2nd: Misty Step, Suggestion, Invisibility, Flaming Sphere
3rd: Counterspell

Spell slots remaining/Spell slots total:
1st: 3/4
2nd: 3/3
3rd: 2/2

Active Spells (c) denotes concentration
Mage Armor, Light

Character Sheet
[/sblock]

GreenKarl

First Post
The female shrugs but nods to the pair, adding "Very well, let us go then."

The group leaves the cave and heads back to the homestead. When they get in sight there are a few dozen people milling about. Most are armed and armored. When they see the group they start moving out to greet them but stop when they see the large female walking with the group...

One of the younger men wearing studded leather armor and carrying a loaded crossbow yells out "Halt there...whose that with you?"

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Tirion Cayde, Cleric Level 5 (Life)

Cave south of Elredd
Day 2/Afternoon

Tirion halted as one of the youths called out to them. He held up his empty hands. “This is an ally,” he said. “She knows much about the strength of the orcs we are about to face. She took out the orc patrol on the hill,” he explained, pointing in the direction of the hill where the orc bodies were found. “She would add great strength and knowledge to our band. She is a skinchanger.” He thought the more generic term would go over better than werebear, with all its implications of the curse of lycanthropy.

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Conditions: Guidance

Inspiration: 1

Initiative: +0
Perception: +4 (Passive: 14)
Speed: 30
AC: 20 (plate and shield)
HP: 33/33 HD: 5/5d8
Main Hand: None

Prepared Spells:
Cantrips: Guidance, Thaumaturgy, Mending, Sacred Flame
1st: (Bless, Cure Wounds), Healing Word, Guiding Bolt, Command
2nd: (Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon), Prayer of Healing, Hold Person, Blindness/Deafness
3rd: (Beacon of Hope, Revivify), Spirit Guardians, Dispel Magic, Mass Healing Word

Spell Slots Remaining/Total
1st: 4/4
[/sblock]

GreenKarl

First Post
"A skinchanger..." someone in the group mutters, "An't they all evil? Like werewolves and such?" someone else calls out.

The older woman, Helmi, steps forward and tells the folks with her to calm down. She then walks forward and says "Any help is welcome if ye all trust... her" she stares up at the large woman for a moment and then adds "The young ones are ready for yer raid. I trust that you will not waste any of their lives on this endeavor... So what is your plan?"

Scotley

Hero
Kelvyn Human Rogue

"There is no time to waste. We know that the Orks could move at any time. We need to try and take them while we know where to find them. This one has proven she is no friend to Orks and that is good enough for me. She has lived among you for some time without causing any harm."

BlueLotus

Explorer
[section]
"Ah... She is a particular sort of skinchanger, one able to assume the form of an animal. But as my friends have said, I am convinced that she poses no threat to your people and shares our mutual goals of ridding these lands of the orcs," said Levanna, stepping forward. The wizard then turned to Helmi and nodded her head in respect.

"I am loath to see any loss of life from your people at all. Though we cannot promise that all will return, I can promise that we intend to minimize your suffering..." Levanna said solemly. "That is where she comes in. Not only will she be a formidable ally in a battle with the orcs, but she knows the lands they occupy well. We will scout the lands with her aid to try to find a route to attack the orcs by surprise, rather than fight them directly."
[/section]

[sblock='Mini Stat Block']
Levanna (Wizard 5) 5th level
Initiative: +1 Perception: +2
Passive Perception: 12
Passive Investigation: 17
Speed: 30'

AC: 14
HP 32/32

In Hand:Quarterstaff

Spell Save DC: 14

Prepared Spells:
1st: Mage Armor, Shield, Feather Fall, Magic Missile,
2nd: Misty Step, Suggestion, Invisibility, Flaming Sphere
3rd: Counterspell

Spell slots remaining/Spell slots total:
1st: 3/4

Active Spells (c) denotes concentration
Mage Armor, Light

Character Sheet
[/sblock]

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Tirion Cayde, Cleric Level 5 (Life)

Cave south of Elredd
Day 2/Afternoon

“Not all skinchangers are evil,” Tirion explained. “Some are born with the gift and do not carry the curse of lycanthropy. They usually hold no ill will toward humans.” He looked to the large woman to confirm. “The large bear tracks belong to her, and the slaughtered orcs are her work,” he explained. “She has been looking for her missing mate.”

Tirion let the others explain the plan. “There are about sixty orcs, including orogs and a spellcaster,” he told them. “It will be best if we can manage to cordon off smaller numbers to handle. If you will handle the orcs, we will try and handle the more powerful orogs and the spellcaster,” he told the homesteaders.

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Conditions: Guidance

Inspiration: 1

Initiative: +0
Perception: +4 (Passive: 14)
Speed: 30
AC: 20 (plate and shield)
HP: 33/33 HD: 5/5d8
Main Hand: None

Prepared Spells:
Cantrips: Guidance, Thaumaturgy, Mending, Sacred Flame
1st: (Bless, Cure Wounds), Healing Word, Guiding Bolt, Command
2nd: (Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon), Prayer of Healing, Hold Person, Blindness/Deafness
3rd: (Beacon of Hope, Revivify), Spirit Guardians, Dispel Magic, Mass Healing Word

Spell Slots Remaining/Total
1st: 4/4
[/sblock]

GreenKarl

First Post
Helmi listens and while she looks concerned about the large female she finally nods her head "Well I figure you folks no more about war and fighting then we do. We have fought of raids for many years but never an invasion force. If you think this... lady can help, ok. We are agreed. And the more young folk you bring back a live the better for all of us..."

Looking back at the crowd she signals Aysche to step forward "My daughter will lead the family militia but she will defer to your counsel and you are in charge of the fight."

With that ten of the younger folk along with Aysche move up to the group and look ready to go wherever the party leads them.

BlueLotus

Explorer
[section]
A few side conversations with her companions was all the confirmation Levanna needed. Even with ten young villagers, attacking the orcs as they were was a grim prospect.

After the militia had said their farewells to their loved ones and joined the party, and after the group had left the elders behind Levanna approached Aysche.

"Your mother is looking out for your people. I do not fault her in that. But what she does not realize is that by refusing to involve the other families, she is placing your lives in greater danger. We must have greater numbers if we are to successfully drive the orcs from these lands. If she will not speak with the other families, we must instead," the wizard declared.

OOC: Assuming that the militia is willing to follow us in that, and the party still agrees, then...

The group made haste to the other fortified settlements occupied by the remaining families. At each in turn, Levanna appealed to their senses and shared her story to any who would listen. She also relied on her companions to add their own voices to hers.

They did not linger long at each location, for they knew that every delay risked more attacks from the orcs.
[/section]

[sblock=Levanna Mini Stats]Levanna
AC: 12 (10 flat-footed, 12 touch)
HP: 07/07
CMB: -1 CMD: 11

Fort: +1 Reflex: +2 Will: +4
Perception: varies +3 to +8 Sense Motive: varies +2 to +4
Initiative: +6

Cantrips prepared: Prestidigitation, Light, Acid Splash
Level 1 spells prepared: Color Spray, Mage Armor

Current Weapon in Hand: Quarterstaff
Current Conditions in Effect: None