D&D 5E (IC) Fitz's Folly

EarlyBird

Explorer
Dellrak excepted the small praise though he was still a bit upset at the group not retrieving the necklace the smuggler's talked about. The appearance of the other half of their pay brightened him a bit, though and he nodded in thanks before following the rest out.

He frowned at "Harb" and his need for secrets, but let the man go without a word. "What say we head to the Souk, I do be needed a drink."

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
A drink would be nice - How about Dellrack and I pick up those rain coats for everyone, you can repay me. I have a few other things I would like to purchase too... Dellrack, I could adjust that armor if I got a few tools...

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Van'Sharen bade the allies farewell and they went their separate ways. Some to shop, some to meet with contacts, and others for their own ends.

The Grand Souk was as amazing as it had been the previous day. It seemed that everything was bought and sold here. Even a few items unfamiliar to foreigners, like wet-weather-clothes, raincatchers (for capturing fresh water), tej (the fermented fruit drink), a strange long boat (a canoe), and a well-crafted spear-like weapon called a yklwa.

It becomes apparent that other, more costly things are also available (such as dinosaurs and minor magic items) if one can find a way to be introduced to a Merchant Prince (or at least one of their people).

OOC: Nearly everything in the PHB (other than Heavy Armour) can be purchased in the Grand Souk for reasonable (regular) prices. A "raincoat" is 3gp. Raincatchers are 1gp and weigh 5lbs. An yklwa is a 1d8 simple weapon. Thrown 10/30. That's actually pretty good. A canoe is still pretty expensive at 50gp.

Last edited:

Fradak

Explorer
The outcome was not very glorious and the investigation remained at a standstill... Chrysagon did what he always does when in doubt, look up at the sky.

"Well, it could be worse. It might rain.
So, I'll try to find this priest. Everybody is welcome. Perhaps we should set up a rendezvous point?"

Chrysagon remained silent for a moment, "Wait... I know Van'Sharen is on it and we don't know the place but I don't like to stay passive, it's just not me. Miss Imogen could use her kids network, maybe someone knows something.... I think we could try to find those guys.

Last edited:

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Harb easily disappears into the crowd. He finds his way to a particular stall in the market suggested by The Wren where he is able to purchase a set of thieves tools. He also finds a 'raincoat'. Afterwards, he goes in search of the dying.

OOC: Minor discrepancy between my character sheet and my RG post of 5 gp. I'll be satisfied to say that I have just enough gold to buy both and leave it at that. Thieves tools 25gp+coat 1gp. I should have up to 30gp now according to my character sheet, but will say the rest was used up in bribes and/or random assorted costs up till now.

Squirrels are evil!

EarlyBird

Explorer
Dellrak moves with the bravado through the market nodding to his statements. ooc: not sure if you were speaking or not, not in bold type.

When they stop for a drink the dwarf doesn't say much, only noticing that protection from the weather would be welcome, and mentioning that not knowing what they may be up to next that they should save a few coins.

OOC: Going to buy a raincoat and water catcher, -4 gp

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Rodrigo looked around for a brace of throwing knives, but found an old woman selling darts, with fletching made of dark feathers, on a woven bandoleer - they were remarkably accurate, and light too. The swordsman bought a dozen. Next he found the raincoat, and finally - and this took some work - a portable set of armorsmith's tools.

Most of the reward money was gone, but he felt it was money well spent. Now to find Dellrack and do something about those straps...

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Miss Imogen takes the 15 gp and says, "I'll see you all later. I'm going shopping." She stays with the others, and soon has bought herself a raincoat and a rain catcher. (net +11gp).

She then pulls herself away and heads to the area of town in search of her uncle. If others follow, that's fine, but she's to inviting them. Getting lost in a big town is easy, of course, and it is not hard to end up in the seedy part of town, even when the districts are rigidly separated, as here. She comes to the Old City, admires the architecture.

Assuming no one tries to rob her, she soon finds herself in a large, low-roofed tavern that smells of soot and sweat. She orders a drink -- a half pint of stout, if they have it -- and finds a likely target to help her find Pock-marked Poe.

OOC: If needed: Insight: [roll0]. Persuasion: [roll1].

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Miss Imogen

Miss Imogen left the Grand Souk and travelled up the widest of the city streets to the largest of the city gates. She worked her way through the crowd and through the gate to the Old City. Three ancient, vine-covered ziggurats towered above the district, which was a colourful juxtaposition of ancient and decaying (but still occupied) stone structures interspersed with flimsy new huts and longhouses of bamboo and thatch.

In her short time in Port Nyanzaru, she had learned that the Old City was run by “beggar princes” in a mocking parallel to the merchant princes of the city proper. They had no official authority, but each of them sat atop a web of debts, favours, incriminating information, and loyal muscle that allowed them to get things done with an efficiency that the merchant princes sometimes envied. Unlike the merchant princes, whose positions were based on wealth that passed from generation to generation in the same family, the identities and even the number of the beggar princes constantly changed.

The Old City was run-down but it wasn’t exactly a slum or a haven for thieves. Most of the residents were lower-class labourers or struggling artisans who couldn’t afford the higher rents of homes inside the city walls. Pock-Marked Poe was ostensibly one of these; a potter of some reknown. But Miss Imogen knew him to be something more, at once both a "beggar prince" and a highly-placed member of the international Black Network - the Zhentarim. Or at least, that's who she expected to find - her Uncle.

Upon entering the potter's workshop, she was surprised to find that the man himself was, in fact, a small dark man with terrible facial scars. An illness in the man's distant past had left him blind in one eye, and unable to walk without aid. As Miss Imogen stood wondering what to say and covering her surprise as she was taught, the man called out to a servant, who came from a back room to help him up from his potter's wheel. Miss Imogen relaxed as she saw this servant, for though he was deeply disguised as a humble care-worker, she knew that this man, was the power behind the 'throne' - her Uncle.

With the help of his servant, the stooped man known as Pock-Marked Poe approached Miss Imogen and said, "What can I do for you today, my dear?"

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Miss Imogen takes one step in the doorway, happy to be in the shade even if the humidity is in now way decreased. She stands tall, and has to duck to get through the small doorframe. The sight of pock-marked Poe is a small disappointment to her, but the sight of her Uncle fills her with a great warmth of affection.

Looking at the small man before her, there is obviously no need to inquire whether he is Pock-Marked Poe.

"Sir, I am Miss Imogen. I am hoping that there is rather something I can do for you. My Uncle felt I should introduce myself." It was not her place to identify her uncle -- though the irony of him being in the room was not lost on her, and no doubt infused her introduction with warmth as she mentioned his name.

Remove ads