D&D 5E (IC) Fitz's Folly

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Rodrigo carefully approached the ruins while listening for sounds within. The ruin was a squat, stone building surrounded by palms and overgrown with vines and ferns. It was surrounded by a lone stone wall, though much of it was crumbled. The main building appeared mostly intact, and it entrance was marked by a worn stone staircase that led to archway flanked by reliefs of coiled serpents. The archway was carved with writing in an obscure cuneiform.

Rodrigo was confident that nothing was making any noise from inside the structure. From behind him Qawasha called out, "I believe it is a temple devoted to one of the Omuan Trickster totemic deities - the serpent. Would you like me to translate that writing? It might take me a moment, and I would have to move closer. Perhaps you would guard me while I work."

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Harb materialized out of the bushes nearby and nodded to Qawasha as he took stock of the temple itself.

"That would be wise."

The monk readied his bow as he moved up to cover the courtyard.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"We have you covered, friend Qawasha" says Miss Imogen as she slides her bow off her shoulder, after setting Weed down by her feet. "Stay close," she tells him, as if it will do any good.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
The Little Star
Omu
Round 0

Dellrak hefted his axe. “I’ll come with yeh,” he told Qawasha.

Kasqa joined on the druid’s other side with his spear.

OOC: 9 goodberries available.

OOC: Death Curse: You now must spend Hit Dice to regain HP in a Long Rest (as well as a Short one) and you only regain 1 HD at the end of a Long Rest. Additionally, Short Rests take 2 Hours. Everything else about resting follows the usual book-rules.

Kasqa: 17/17 HD 3/3
Move:
Action:
Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 49/49 HD: 5/5d10+2

Bolts: 18
Bolts used: 1
Arrows: 19
Arrows used:

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 4/4 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
2) 2/2 Misty Step (Horizon Walker, BA), Healing Spirit

Rodrigo Di Castalone - male human fighter
Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Qawasha and Dellrak moved to the archway while Harb and Imogen covered them with their bows. Weed, for his part, put a stone in his leaf-sling and disappeared under a fern. It took Qawasha a full twenty minutes to decipher the writing, saying:

"It is Old Chultan - it would have been oddly archaic when Omu was thriving. Still, I think I have it, it says: 'The Serpent Moa teaches (shows) us that secrets (or perhaps lies) hide the truth (or mask the true face)'. You see? I told you these totemic deities are not to be trusted. Moa is their god of deceit. This is a temple to his teachings."

gargoyleking

Adventurer
"A riddle within a riddle perhaps? We must take great care while exploring this place."

And with that, Harb slipped into the courtyard, cautiously looking for danger and perhaps clues related to the writing.

Perception: 1d20+5 11
Stealth: 1d20+6 20
Sneaky as hell, but not very perceptive. Yep! Sounds like Harb's standard scouting MO!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
As Harb gracefully stepped forward, Qawasha nodded and returned to the relative safety of the ship. Falx, the master-at-arms was scanning the opposite "shore's" cliff-side with a spy-glass, in case of trouble there, and he nodded to the Sticks that it was safe to proceed with investigating the ruined temple.

The captain and her crew kept the ship ready to go. It was actually difficult work - the ship kept trying to rise in the heated air that came from the lava below. They could choose to set the ship down in a more permanent fashion, but then it would take much more time to lift-off in case of trouble. Kasqa and Hup'lo stood guarding the gang-plank, in case the Sticks needed to embark in a hurry.

The overgrown courtyard led to the stairs, the stairs led though the archway, and the archway led to a dark, rubble-strewn corridor with walls that were carved with serpents. Dark arrow-slits were spaced at regular intervals along both sides of the corridor. Cobwebs filled the arrow slits and hung like drapes from the corridor ceiling.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Miss Imogen positions herself at the mouth of the corridor, but maintains a rear position, hesitant to proceed.

"Watch for traps," she advises, unsure exactly how best to do that. She has one of her few remaining arrows nocked, her eyes struggling to adjust to the sudden darkness.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Seeing no immediate danger on their way into the structure Harb went to the corridor and frowned into the darkness. He had no way of seeing without a light source, and he'd need to see to spot any traps before setting them off. Regretfully, he stowed his bow, held his staff with one hand and lit a torch in the other.

"I would suggest that none follow until I am across."

Cautiously he held out his torch to illuminate the way, studying what lay in his path.

Perception: 1d20+5 23
I think I remember Investigation being a thing, but Harb is no good at that. Assuming a -1 instead of a +5 would put that roll at a 17.

Remove ads