• NOW LIVE! -- One-Page Adventures for D&D 5th Edition on Kickstarter! A booklet of colourful one-page adventures for D&D 5th Edition ranging from levels 1-9 and designed for a single session of play.
log in or register to remove this ad

 

D&D 5E (IC) Scourge of Daggerford

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Dandin

Before turning in, Dandin spent some time in the central courtyard, training his bear. Ol'Sooty had long been abused by the orcs, but he had been well trained by them. Still, he was a rugged and willful old bear. While Dandin was not overly familiar with handling animals beyond his usual beasts of burden, he proved to be something of a natural. He and Ol'Sooty played games, with Dandin offering food as a reward.

At one point, Dandin spotted one of the Sun Elf Guards watching them from a window. She had been one that had accompanied them in the day's raids, and Dandin had fought side-by-side with her. While he didn't know her well, he knew that her name was Sashenha. He was about to wave to her, but she disappeared from the window, so he went back to work with the bear. About half an hour later, just as Dandin was about to quit the training and head to bed, she returned with a gift for him.

She had converted a saddle (where she had gotten it, Dandin had no idea) into a harness for the bear. Her leatherwork was impressive, and it fit Ol'Sooty comfortably. They adjusted it so that when the bear was on all-fours, Dandin would be leaning forward, holding the harness around the bear's neck. If the bear stood up, he would be comfortably sitting on the bear's back, peering over its shoulder.

They tested it out, and it worked. Sashenha smiled and bowed.
 

log in or register to remove this ad

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Tommi

Shalendra, Titus, and Tommi headed down the grand spiral staircase to the manor's lowest level. Here Tommi marvelled for a moment as he peered down a long hall toward the kitchen. He had intended to thank the cook for the fine meal, but there was only one servant remaining (the rest had turned in), a young man a few years shy of Tommi. What had caught Tommi's attention, the domestic noises, was the washing up. The plates, platters, goblets, and tankard were being cleaned by elemental creatures about the size of a halfling. One made of water would scrub the dish, and then pass it off to one of swirling air to dry. The human youth was ignoring them entirely as he finished packing away leftovers.

Across the kitchen (which was on the ground floor and faced the estate garden), three elf guards stood at their posts, peering out into the night through arrow loops. It was sobering to remember the horde of orcs that were out there in the dark.

"Come along." Shalendra barked at Tommi impatiently, "You wanted to see the gateways."

Titus chuckled as Tommi caught up to them, and Shalendra led them away from the kitchen, past pantries and storage rooms, into a long corridor that was dug deep under the waterfall, that Tommi could just hear above them, as if far away. There was a guard barracks, with four resting human soldiers and two of the elf guards who had accompanied them earlier. The elves were out of their armour, and their shields were hanging on the wall. They appeared to be in a trance, but they quietly nodded to Tommi as he passed by, to a small, unremarkable door in the guard-room's back wall.

Shalendra opened the door, saying quietly (so as not to wake the sleeping human guards - the first time Tommi had ever seen her to be polite), "As you see, the gateways are guarded by the nature of their location (and their secrecy). You are not needed here, but as you are eager to see them, I will show them to you."

She led the way down yet another long corridor to another door, behind which was a circular room lined with fine slabs of white marble and engraved with glowing organic designs, including most prominently, the crescent moon. In the middle of the room, on a low pedestal, stood a statue of an elf in elegant warrior’s robes and chain mail, leaning on the pommel of a magnificent longsword.

Behind the statue was another door. Shalendra opened it, and led the way down yet another long corridor deep underground; at the end was another door. Shalendra waved her hand and spoke elvish words of magic, and the door slid open, revealing a broad, circular chamber. The walls seemed to flicker or shift, but Tommi couldn't quite make out what he was looking at.

Shalendra took him by the shoulders and moved him to the centre of the room. She told him to close his eyes for a moment, relaxe, and then open them. He did and he saw that the walls shifted to show vistas that could only belong to other places: On one side was a hall where stone trees (pillars perhaps) wove together to form an arching canopy; on the other side, a field of fire and a river of lava; Ahead were the gates of a ruined castle, built on a lonely hill. The outer wall was almost entirely ruined, but the inner walls and towers stood, though battered by many wars and years of neglect.

"Now you have seen it." Shalendra said sternly, "You may stay at the guard room if you wish to sleep, or you can stand watch at Corellon's statue."
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Tommi looks at Shalendra, and tries to determine if there is an obvious answer to the options he is presented with. Obviously it is an honour to stand watch, indicating a level of trust he is not sure he has earned. Though he knows the chance to talk to the guards might tell him more. He considers her offer...
OOC: Insight 1d20+9=26
...and decides to stand watch.

That builds trust, and he might learn something about access, or where the portals lead and how they operate. He envisions himself jumping through, always thinking he might come back. Perhaps he would. In his mind's eye, he is always jumping through and holding Sherlen's hand.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Tommi

Shalendra nodded and gave Tommi and Titus a dismissive wave. Tommi eyed the elf noblewoman for a moment, sizing her up. He could tell that she had little patience for anyone, and he was doing his best not to cross her. She was aloof, serious, and condescending, but for all that she had shown him respect. He was not unused to difficult people, and she was certainly that - but she also clearly had a lot on her mind. Not just the siege, Tommi thought, but some deeper issue that she was struggling with and trying to keep secret.

But his post, the statue, was one chamber removed from the gate-room. Shalendra seemed to expect to be alone there, and Tommi knew that he should not bother her further. Titus nudged him, and the two of them moved down the tunnel to the statue.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Vairar

Vairar was thinking along similar lines to Tommi, though neither knew it. As he sat in his elf-trance, neither sleeping nor awake, his thoughts played over the day's events and one thing stood out to him: Shalendra was not herself. She'd always looked down her fine nose at non-elves - but here she was being friendly to Titus and Tommi. Perhaps it was just to please her brother Darfin, who Vairar did not know as well, but had heard him to be very fond of humans in particular. Though lord of the manor, Sir Darfin spent most of his time at his townhouse in Daggerford, leaving running the estate to Shalendra. It was she, and not Darfin, that had allowed Vairar to occupy the shrine at the Swan's Nest, in exchange for its upkeep.

He had spent most of his time alone there, so he did not know her well. At this point in his life, he knew no one truly well. But still, he felt that Shalendra was acting strangely out of character.

Lionel

Lionel was in his bed, snoring the deep sleep of a halfling who had had an exciting day.

Angis

As Angis returned to his room after running into Escella in the hall, he felt his mood darken; his thoughts returning to home. He had hoped to escape it by adventuring with these younger folk (elves aside). He had grown fond, perhaps even fatherly, to them. They (and the trouble they dragged him into) provided him with a much-need distraction. Unfortunately, whenever they had down-time, he returned quickly to his problems. Perhaps even quicker than before, causing what was rolling hills and dales of emotion to become mountainous peaks and valleys.

Eventually, he fell into a sleep troubled by sorrowful dreams. He found that he was not at all unhappy when Talynen knocked at his door, just before dawn - a distraction at last!
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"I am gravely sorry to wake you all, at such an early hour and with unfortunate news," said Talynen, knocking on the doors of the four rooms where Dandin, Lionel, Escella, and Angis slept (and Viarar meditated). It was dark still, and with the news he brought, Talynen had forgotten to bring a light.

"It appears that the orcs have moved toward an all-out assault. They gather in the garden just out of bowshot, for what will certainly be another attack - the largest one yet - on the kitchen and the upper balconies. Worse, a large group has circled around and will be at the main gates in less than a half an hour."

He gave a moment for that to sink in and added, "Sir Darfin has asked that you help to man the gatehouse, so you can protect your wagon and horses, but if you wish to object, you can find him on the balcony by the library. Good luck to you."

He nodded solemnly to those who could see him, and he dashed off, informing the others.

Word had already travelled to the cellars, and Tommi (who had dozed a little by the base of the statue, taking shifts with Titus) could hear the wakened guards assembling their armour in the barracks nearby.

Titus saw Tommi looking toward the barracks and said, "I've got it here if you want to go help."
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
Escella dresses in silence. She travels through the castle without light easily taking a direct route to the gatehouse. She looks for high ground from which she can attack the orcs from above with spells. But also making sure she can't be overrun.
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Angis Honack
Floshin Estates/Main Gate
Night
Round 0

Angis grunted awake and listened to the report brought about the orcs. He nodded and pulled on his gear. He carefully placed the oil skin wrapped handkerchief and lock of hair inside his armor and slid his axes into his belt, heading to the main gate to join the others.

“Anyone want on the war wagon?” he asked, surveying the set up at the main gate and looking out for any sign of the orcs.

Mounted Crossbow: +6 2d6 100/400
Bolts: 58
Bolts used: 0

Marauding gnolls (Ardeep Forest, noble hunting party hostage)
Orcs in the north (Harpshield Castle, Floshin Estate, Newfield)
Lizardfolk with steel weapons and armor (Rock Tower, Crom’s Hold)

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Horde Breaker:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Hunter’s Mark (if needed):
Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Initiative: +1
Perception: +5
Speed: 30
AC: 14/15 (dual wield)
HP: 49/49 HD: 5/5d10+2

Bolts: 51
Bolts used:
Handaxes: 2/2

Spells
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
2) 2/2 Pass Without Trace
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.


Vairar - elven cleric
Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Enseth - warforged war cleric shield guardian
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter
Lionel - halfling rogue folk hero
Escella - Human sorcerer
 

MetaVoid

Explorer
Vairar sighs at the news. "I will find the lord and join you at the gateway. There is something that weighs on my mind."

He finds Lord Darfin (and insists if he is rebuked)
"My lord, if I may take a minute of your time?"

"I may be wrong, but Lady Shalendra seems...weird is too strong a word, but definitely not herself. I realize this is not usual situation, but still...if my trance was focusing on that it may be something more. I cannot pinpoint something specific beside her being friendly to our new human guests. I'm going with them to defend the gate. Please keep this at the back of your mind, speak with her if you get a chance.

I hope this is not too abrupt from me, but we may not have time later."


With that, he bows and rushes off unless lord stops him.
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Dandin woke up feeling 'different'. He wasn't quite sure why, but he felt as if something within himself had 'shifted' somehow and while he couldn't quite explain it to himself, he found it difficult to remember some of the spells he'd learned recently, as if they were foggy and hard to make out. But now new spells came to him more natural feeling in some ways and strangely he could vaguely sense Ol'Sooty perhaps the bond he'd forged with the bear had brought something out in him? He was curious, to know more. But for the moment, he needed to focus on the simple fact that their plans had been, unsurprisingly, preempted by their enemies. He knew they couldn't count on the Orcs to just stand on their laurels once two of their checkpoints had been wiped out! Oh well, despite the urgency, he took the necessary time to prepare for what was bound to be a hard-fought battle. Once outside he did his best to get the lay of the land and the battle. Ol'Sooty would be nothing less than an obstruction and target on the battlements, so he opted to find a fairly sheltered location for the bear to wait out the initial conflict at the very least. If they managed to break the gate or storm the walls though...
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Tommi nods to Titus when he is dismissed. He is grateful for the opportunity, but perhaps regretful that he has not really accomplished anything, and that the other human guards are still asleep. "Is there a back way out?" he asks, with more than one motivation governing his question.

Gutter is on his hip, hanging from a loop off his belt. The sword seems almost reticent to cut through the leather thong, almost as if it only enjoys a living target. It is an ugly blade, Tommi knows. And it does ugly things.

His sling is tied around his wrist, and his pocket is filled with pebbles. Tommi regularly grabs a few and holds them to his lips, as he blows good luck onto them. Unless he is given a back way out, he reports to the others, and offers what he can. "I'm better when I move" he suggests. "Down there, I have a much better chance at accomplishing something worthwhile."

[If he does get a separate exit and it takes him outside the castle, he'll wave from there to the battlements, such as they are, to signal where he is and that he's ready.]
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Vairar

Vairar found the elf lord on a large balcony that overlooked the garden. Dawn was near enough that there were few stars in patches of clear sky overhead. In the gardens, the orcs were too far away to see well, even with elvish sight, but there were sounds of movement, and the light of the occasional torch appeared out there in the gloom. The orcs were being stealthy, as orcs go, but Vairar knew well that discipline was hard for them. No leader of theirs should expect their ruse to work for long, but they continued to keep the appearance of a surprise attack.

Sir Darfin was playing along - no alarms sounded within the manor. Talynen had woken everyone quietly, and everyone was taking defending positions. Three elves were on the balcony, carefully hanging extra quivers on the rail. The elf lord listened to Viarar and noddend, "Thank you for your concern. I agree. Something troubles her and she seems unwilling to share. I will speak to her the first chance I get, and I grant that you may do the same, if you see her first. Tell your allies that I am very thankful for their aid. May the Lady of Air and Wind see to your victory."

Tommi


When Tommi asked about another exit, Titus shrugged. Lady Shalendra was busy in the gate-room, perhaps placing wards (Tommi was unsure). The guards were awake now, and gearing up when Tommi began to move through the barracks. When asked, one of them (a human from Daggerford) answered Tommi, "Not if you want to get to the gatehouse. There's a secret way out garden-side, well-hidden, but you'd have to climb the cliff near the waterfall. I hear that his lordship did it when he was young, but he's an elf, and he knew it well. Much easier for you to go up the main stairs, really."

OOC: Tommi can try it if he likes - there's probably time, but like the guard says, he could just go up the stairs.
 


jmucchiello

Adventurer
Escella asks some who looks like a leader, "Are there any plans to lay some tree trunks across the road to the gate house? Some thing to slow down any kind of battering ram? Do we know if they have rams?"
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"The trees on either side of the road are eight hundred years old and were planted by the Lord and Lady's mother" said a haughty elf sergeant named Ryallan to Escella, as if it were obvious, "I'm afraid that we don't have the time to find, destroy, and move lesser trees for that purpose. As far as rams go, I would assume that they have some means to try to break our door, or they are fools."
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Angis Honack
Floshin Estates/Main Gate
Morning
Round 0

Angis was working on removing the mounted crossbow from the war wagon near where Escella was talking to the elf. He glared at the elves. Gods above, how annoyingly arrogant the pointy eared bastards were.

“Don’t yeh think yeh shuild hae thought o’ tha’?” he asked. “Ain’t ye e’er been in a siege b’fore? Ye got any way t’ deal wi’ an orc batterin’ ram? Boilin’ oil? Murder holes? Fire arrows? Ye daft elf! I swear, I shuild jus’ bury a dozen o’ ye up t’ yer necks in front o’ the gates sae at least ye can bite at their ankles!”

Mounted Crossbow: +6 2d6 100/400
Bolts: 58
Bolts used: 0

Marauding gnolls (Ardeep Forest, noble hunting party hostage)
Orcs in the north (Harpshield Castle, Floshin Estate, Newfield)
Lizardfolk with steel weapons and armor (Rock Tower, Crom’s Hold)

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Horde Breaker:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Hunter’s Mark (if needed):
Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Initiative: +1
Perception: +5
Speed: 30
AC: 14/15 (dual wield)
HP: 49/49 HD: 5/5d10+2

Bolts: 51
Bolts used:
Handaxes: 2/2

Spells
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
2) 2/2 Pass Without Trace
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.


Vairar - elven cleric
Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Enseth - warforged war cleric shield guardian
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter
Lionel - halfling rogue folk hero
Escella - Human sorcerer
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
"Rein it back a bit, Angis," Escella says. "It's not his fault no one thought to put something nearby that could be used to lay across the road before an attack."
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The elf sergeant sniffed and said, "This is a quiet stately manor house, not a rowdy dwarven fortress. I plan to shoot them with my arrows until they die or flee into the dark corners of the woods, where they belong."
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Tommi thanks the guard who gave him the tip on the back exit, and promises to buy him a round next time they are both at the Happy Cow. He wants to know if this is a viable way back in, should he ever want one.

(Why would he? He does not know. His fantasies about gate-hopping are completely unreaslistic for a boy from Daggerford, he knows. But he takes notice in any case -- the route he would follow, the mechanism for the lock if there is one; anything that would make returning to the gates easier. As an escape? as the start of an adventure? as a precaution against invaders? Truthfully, he does not know if it is any of these or all of them. But it is knowledge he wants to have.)

He makes his way to the entrance, and as he does so the roar of the waterfall is increasing, and a fine mist soon soaks his clothes. He runs his fingers through his hair as a makeshift comb. The effort is ineffective, but he's smiling as he sees the cliffs, and begins his ascent.

OOC: Three rolls. Athletics 1d20+3=22. Stealth 1d20+5=11. Perception 1d20+7=17.


He's outside the gate, he's wet, he has a pocketful of pebbles, and he's ready to scout. It's later than it should be. He sees his friends setting up a catapult on the roof. If they notice him, they probably think him a damn fool. The rust on gutter seems particularly fetid, as if burrs were there to hold on to rotting flesh. Tommi doesn't notice. He's ready for the day.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Tommi

The guard showed Tommi to a store-room, that had a long, diagonal "chimney" that led to a small window. This let light (and in good weather, air) into the cellar. Tommi easily made the climb, and he opened the window with a little brass handle. The way was too narrow for anyone as broad-shouldered as Angis, or Titus in his armour, (or for that matter, an orc), but Tommi had little trouble slipping out onto a grassy hill amidst the roots of a large old tree. From outside, he saw that the window would be quite hidden from anyone who did not know it was there, unless they stumbled upon it.

From there, it was a quick scramble up the tree's wide roots, along the north side of the manor house, and a slow, damp, slippery climb up the rocks on the side of the waterfall. Angis, setting up the mounted crossbow on the gate's roof, spotted him as he was hopping from rock-to-rock over the creek.
 

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top