• NOW LIVE! -- One-Page Adventures for D&D 5th Edition on Kickstarter! A booklet of colourful one-page adventures for D&D 5th Edition ranging from levels 1-9 and designed for a single session of play.
log in or register to remove this ad

 

D&D 5E (IC) Scourge of Daggerford


log in or register to remove this ad

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Dandin finally shows up just in time to see Escellla slip off to the treeline. Normally he'd be the one foolishly trying to scout out the enemy, but he'd been a bit behind the others this morning and so he decided to mount the stairs where he found himself next to the haughty elf.

He was a pretty good judge of character, and quickly sussed out the reason for the elf's ire, though he found it strange that Angus's grumbling seemed to be coming from beyond an exterior wall.

Whispering a message that only the elf could hear, in elven, he attempted to smooth things over.

"Don't mind him, Angus's a bit gruff, and about as fond of elves as any dwarf, but he means well. Noone better to have your back in a battle!"

Then he spoke up, smiling and winking at the elf as he did so.

"Everything comfy for you out there Angus? Want me to get you a nice hard stone slab to lay on?"

Drawing Siren's call, he shifted it into it's musical form and played a soft, yet upbeat tune hoping to inspire anyone nearby for the battle ahead.

Since this seems to be a thing... Insight to read the room, Diplomacy to smooth ruffled feathers and then Performance for inspiration.

Insight, Diplomacy, Performance,: 1d20+5 14 1d20+6 14 1d20+6 18

Also, One D6 Inspiration die for Angus!
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Tommi waves at Escella, and suddenly feels self-conscious that he's taken 'the hard way' just to get t the gate. She looks so puled together, he thinks, as he tucks his wet shirt into his trousers.

Still, he joins her for scouting, but the water in his boots means he is not at the top of his game.

OOC: Three rolls. Atheltics: 8, Stealth: 14, Perception: 9.
 

MetaVoid

Explorer
Vairar frowns at the elf.
"Do you think orcs will keep the trees if we fall? Don't you think honored mother would prefer to lose one of the oaks than the manor or her children? And even if you ask one of the forest fathers, after 800 years some of them may be ready to give their lives for the elves. Don't underestimate orcs under powerful leader - as we know they have.

Trust me, I've fought them more than my share, you don't want to meet them close up. And we're too few to stop them only with arrows. Depending on the numbers and types, as our scouts return, we WILL bring down one of them. Unless one of the nobles stop us."
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Angis Honack
Floshin Estates/Main Gate roof
Morning
Round 0

Angis nailed the mounted crossbow down to the roof beams, removing a few tiles to secure it. Then he stacked some hay around in front of the crossbow for cover. He was checking the sight lines when he saw Tommi climbing the waterfall behind the manor and shook his head. “Fool boy,” he muttered, but he supposed the scouting intelligence he brought back would be useful, if he didn’t get himself in trouble. They weren’t going to be able to rush in and save him. Same with Escella, when she exited. They should let the elves scout.

"Everything comfy for you out there Angis? Want me to get you a nice hard stone slab to lay on?" Angis heard Dandi call from below.

“Aye, lad. A wee nap before the fun starts wuildnae ‘urt,” Angis said with a chuckle as he set the box with the extra crossbow bolts upright near at hand.

***

1d6 Inspiration die (100r)

Mounted Crossbow: +6 2d6 100/400
Bolts: 58
Bolts used: 0

Marauding gnolls (Ardeep Forest, noble hunting party hostage)
Orcs in the north (Harpshield Castle, Floshin Estate, Newfield)
Lizardfolk with steel weapons and armor (Rock Tower, Crom’s Hold)

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Horde Breaker:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Hunter’s Mark (if needed):
Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Initiative: +1
Perception: +5
Speed: 30
AC: 14/15 (dual wield)
HP: 49/49 HD: 5/5d10+2

Bolts: 51
Bolts used:
Handaxes: 2/2

Spells
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
2) 2/2 Pass Without Trace
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.


Vairar - elven cleric
Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Enseth - warforged war cleric shield guardian
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter
Lionel - halfling rogue folk hero
Escella - Human sorcerer
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Vairar frowns at the elf.
"Do you think orcs will keep the trees if we fall? Don't you think honored mother would prefer to lose one of the oaks than the manor or her children? And even if you ask one of the forest fathers, after 800 years some of them may be ready to give their lives for the elves. Don't underestimate orcs under powerful leader - as we know they have.

Trust me, I've fought them more than my share, you don't want to meet them close up. And we're too few to stop them only with arrows. Depending on the numbers and types, as our scouts return, we WILL bring down one of them. Unless one of the nobles stop us."

The elf takes a deep breath...then another.

"With all due respect to your status as a guest and priest, sir" he practically spits the last word "...I fought orcs before you were born and certainly before any of these..." one could see the effort it takes him to control himself not to say something worse "...adventurers grandfathers were off their mothers tits. We're supposed to stand here, yet the lord saddles me with untried, untested and above all un-elven local mavericks who among themselves couldn't add their years to one century. How am I supposed to feel? And to top it off, first thing I get is 'Cut those trees!'. Well, I'll cut my ears off before I allow it unless you really bring the lord here to tell me that!"
At the end his voice starts raising and he speaks faster. He stops and looks at you lot. Stiffly, he salutes and turns his back on you.
"Don't touch those trees!"
 


FitzTheRuke

Legend
Tommi and Escella slipped forward, using the side of the road and its curve toward the south to keep cover. The sky began to light as dawn approached, though they stayed in the shadow of the eastward ridge. After several minutes, the sound of marching could be heard. Tommi and Escella hid by the side of the road and watched as a large group approached: An impressive orc on a giant bull auroch was flanked by two dire boars with riders. Behind him were two ogres, a male and a female. Marching under the leadership of two orogs were fourteen orcs; five of whom were slighter-built and held longbows. They moved at a very fast pace and Escella and Tommi could not afford to watch them for long before they would not be able to beat them to the manor house.

The two scouts ran back toward the manor, but the orcs moved quickly. Quick enough that they were eventually spotted and the entire group charged after them.

OOC: I will return to set this up! Gotta get to work!
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
When Escella and Tommi were nearing the manor house, somewhat out-of-breath, they shouted the situation to the defenders, and Vairar stood by the door waiting for them. ORB5 flew out to find them, making high-pitched trilling noises. Not as far as they would have liked, behind them, the company of orcs rushed around the curve in the road and came into sight. Angis nodded grimly and turned the mounted crossbow toward them, as the light of dawn dimly grew behind them.

GM: Encounter: Doughty Daggerfordians & Elf Guards vs Orc Attack at the Floshin Gate
FloshinGate1.jpg

(General Features) Difficult Terrain: The trees & bushes;
Elevation: Cliff (30 foot drop); Visibility: Dim light (dawn)
(Note) The roof is 30 feet further right than it appears (the crossbow is mounted at M13)
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Angis AC14(15) HP 49/49 HD 5/5 PP15* SS 4/4 2/2
Dandin AC14 HP 31/31 HD 5/5 PP15 SS 4/4 BI 3/3
Escella AC14 HP 29/29 HD 5/5 PP18 SS 4/4 3/3 SP 4/4
Lionel AC14 HP 43/43 HD 5/5 PP14
Tommi AC14 HP 33/33 HD 5/5 PP17
Vairar AC18*(20*) HP 38/38 HD 5/5 PP13* SS 4/4 3/3 2/2
(NPCs)
ORB5 AC13(18) HP 10/10 PP14* Shock+4,1d8; SS 0/3 fly60
Elite Elf Guard AC15 HP 52 PP14* AE 3/3
SunElf Guards AC16 HP 16ea PP12*
-SEG1 HP 16/16; SEG2 HP 16/16; SEG3 HP 16/16
Name * AC * HP * PP * (Notes)
(BGs)
Auroch AC13 HP 38/38 PP11
OrcAurochRider AC16 HP52/52 PP13*
DireBoars AC14 PP8*
-DB1 42/42; DB2 42/42
OrcBoarRiders AC15 PP11*
-OBR1 32/32; OBR2 32/32
Ogres AC11 PP8*
-Ogre 59/59; Ogress 59/59
OrcEye AC16; HP 45/45 PP11*
Orogs AC18 PP10*
-Orog1 42/42; Orog2 42/42
OrcArchers AC13 PP13*
-OA1 16/16; OA2 16/16; OA3 16/16;
-OA4 16/16; OA5 16/16;
Orcs AC15 PP10*
-O1 15/15; O2 15/15; O3 15/15;
-O4 15/15; O5 15/15; O6 15/15;
-O7 15/15; O8 15/15; O9 15/15;
GM: Begin Round One
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
"Oh dear..." Dandin couldn't believe what he was hearing. Vairar, an elf himself suggesting cutting down some centuries old trees in order to thwart their attackers? While an interesting tactical solution, given time to pull it off, Dandin couldn't bring himself to agree with the concept. That, and there'd be no time to do it now anyways.

Dandin decided to speak up, using the elven language as well. "Vairar, I know we haven't known each other that long, but I'm surprised at you. Even I know that something like this is sacred to your people. Don't ever sacrifice on your beliefs just to win. That's how you become the villain in your own story."

But then he turned on the other elf, his ire rising at the things he'd said about the Daggerfordians. "And you! So rude! I've met Prince Alagarthas and dined with your lord and lady. None of them are nearly as disrespectful as your words just now."

"You may be old, and have a lot of experience fighting orcs. But that doesn't give you the right to treat us as inferiors. You don't have to like it, but Lord Darfin has asked for our help. So maybe you should focus that anger on the enemies rather than on the people who are here to help you. Now..."


Dandin's words cut off at the sound of a not so distant battle cry. With a frown, he moves to the nearest unoccupied arrow slit. "Think they saw Escella?" He asked, not knowing that Tommi had snuck out to scout as well.
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Angis Honack
Floshin Estates/Main Gate roof
Morning
Round 1

Angis saw the horde of orcs charging after Escella and Tommi. “‘Urry it up,” he urged them quietly into his beard as he lined up his bow on the largest target, the ogre. It was a long shot, but maybe he could give them. pause and buy his two companions a few seconds.

The crossbow wire twanged, and Angis was already cranking the string back and loading another bolt, grinning as he heard the wail of pain from the ogre he’d just hit.

***

1d6 Inspiration die (99r)

Mounted Crossbow: +6 2d6 100/400
Bolts: 58
Bolts used: 1

Marauding gnolls (Ardeep Forest, noble hunting party hostage)
Orcs in the north (Harpshield Castle, Floshin Estate, Newfield)
Lizardfolk with steel weapons and armor (Rock Tower, Crom’s Hold)

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action: Attack nearest ogre
Mounted crossbow range disadvantage: 2D20.LOW(1)+6 = [19, 9]+6 = 15
2D6 = [2, 4] = 6

Bonus Action:
Horde Breaker:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Hunter’s Mark (if needed):
Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Initiative: +1
Perception: +5
Speed: 30
AC: 14/15 (dual wield)
HP: 49/49 HD: 5/5d10+2

Bolts: 51
Bolts used:
Handaxes: 2/2

Spells
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
2) 2/2 Pass Without Trace
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.


Vairar - elven cleric
Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Enseth - warforged war cleric shield guardian
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter
Lionel - halfling rogue folk hero
Escella - Human sorcerer
 

MetaVoid

Explorer
Dandin decided to speak up, using the elven language as well. "Vairar, I know we haven't known each other that long, but I'm surprised at you. Even I know that something like this is sacred to your people. Don't ever sacrifice on your beliefs just to win. That's how you become the villain in your own story."

Vairar turns toward Dandin, his (fairly quiet) discussion with the elf interrupted. He sighs.
"Dandin, you must understand that 800 years is NOT a long time. I mean, sure, even elves know it is not quick. If you said to someone this was planted by my mother that would be what? Thirty years? Fifty? It is less time than it takes an elf to grow out of childhood. And the tree would already be imposing. The trees are valuable and take time to grow, yes, but elven lives matter more than trees.

I agree with you, it would be a shame to sacrifice them, but I have no will to sacrifice my beliefs. Orcs need killing. The trees can help. Although since they are already close, we don't really have time to do it properly. This here field will have to suffice.

Please do NOT doubt my conviction and do NOT presume what is and isn't sacred to us. I am a priest of Winged Mother, she of highest peaks, of coldest winds and unlimited freedom. But even other elves don't hold them sacred in a divine sense, we just hold deep reverence for things enduring in time."
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
But then he turned on the other elf, his ire rising at the things he'd said about the Daggerfordians. "And you! So rude! I've met Prince Alagarthas and dined with your lord and lady. None of them are nearly as disrespectful as your words just now."

"You may be old, and have a lot of experience fighting orcs. But that doesn't give you the right to treat us as inferiors. You don't have to like it, but Lord Darfin has asked for our help. So maybe you should focus that anger on the enemies rather than on the people who are here to help you. Now..."


Dandin's words cut off at the sound of a not so distant battle cry. With a frown, he moves to the nearest unoccupied arrow slit. "Think they saw Escella?" He asked, not knowing that Tommi had snuck out to scout as well.
The elf stopped and turned along with Vairar so Dandin now has two grave elves looking at him.
Sargeant shakes his head.
"You are of course right, warrior. I fought rarely among less...erm...nature oriented races. I apologize for my ignoble speech, we have to work together to survive this. And nothing brings people together better than killing orcs. But Vairar is also right, what people think they know about the elves is often a fabrication."
One cannot escape the impression that "less" with the pause was supposed to be lesser races, but he did recover from faux pas fairly well. And he does seem gratified with Dandins support for the trees.

As the sounds of orcs reach them he goes into combat mode.
"People, man the holes. Move as soon as you shoot so others can join. Wyndaess, get your bow yonder and target the meanest one. Ignore the rabble. Priest, what can you do at range or here?"

IIRC, @MetaVoid complained at some point he has no ranged option - so...bless?
 


Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Tommi had been seen, and Tommi had been running. It might almost have been funny, if he weren't the one presently running for his life. He felt the water still in his shoes, and he was inordinatlely proud that he had climbed the falls, even though it had led to this situation. Him, running for the gatehouse, and Escella compromised because he had been seen.

On the roof of the building that he approached, he could see the crossbow mounted. This is where they would make their stand. The stonework was solid, the arrow slits a solid defensive position. Behind the battlements he could see some elves getting into position. No doubt there were others there too.

And the gate was open, waiting for him and Escella to find safety within the walls. Angis beckoning them in to safety.

Tommi looked, and he knew that inside he would be able to contribute nothing. What might he do outside? He didn't know. But at least here he could do something, and so he turned, veering left as he ran into the cover of the trees and then makes his way back, towards the approaching army.

OOC: Tommi is hiding, and hoping to get to the rear of the advancing forces. Is everything Green difficult terrain, or only the trees?

If just the trees: Move+Hide+Move = 60' will get him apparently into the tree at AA24, but in fact at the tree at AJ 25. Hide = 1d20+5=20.

If any thing Green is difficult: the same sequence, but to the tree at the bottom, AC 28.
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
Escella rushes for the gatehouse door when she spies Vairar on the roof casting a spell. It washes over her. She hears Tommi behind her dash off into the woods and hesitates for a second continuing for the door. Turning to take a glance, she sees where he has hidden himself and prays Tymora is with him. She rushes through the door and takes a short breath as two of the elves secure the door. They don't need the help of her weak arms, she decides, before finding an arrow slit to share. To the sergeant, whom she knows is rolling his eyes at her, she says, "I'd tell you how many are coming, but you can obviously see that now."

Actions: double move
Perception: 1D20+8 = [19]+8 = 27 to notice Tommi (and anything else that might be important).
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: I forgot to mention...


While Sergeant Ryallan had been arguing, then making peace with the Daggerfordians, one of the Sun Elf Guards had been making sure that they had whatever they needed. He offered Vairar a spot to hang his shield by the door, in case he needed it when things got close, and a longbow if he desired to use one. In addition, he managed to produce some smaller bows, which he referred to as "children's bows" (though he did not mean it unkindly - it's what they were to the elves). He offered one to Dandin, and another to Lionel. Next to each of the arrow-loops quivers hung from steel pegs. The elf guards instructed their allies with a quick drill on how to move up to the loop, fire an arrow (or two) and move out of the way while grabbing arrows from the hanging quivers.

This, they were practicing, when Escella and Tommi came running around the bend in the road in the growing light of dawn while calling them to be ready.
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Angis Honack
Floshin Estates/Main Gate roof
Morning
Round 1

Angis watched with satisfaction as his large crossbow bolt caught an ogre. While he reloaded, he noticed Tommi veering off and shook his head. “Fool boy. Get a guid, strong stone wall b’tween ye an’ a horde o’ orcs,” he muttered as he reloaded the crossbow. “Ain’t nae one t’ come t’ yuir rescue, boy, when ye get in trouble.”

***

Bless (10r): attacks and saves +1d4 (10r)
1d6 Inspiration die (99r)

Mounted Crossbow: +6 2d6 100/400
Bolts: 58
Bolts used: 1

Marauding gnolls (Ardeep Forest, noble hunting party hostage)
Orcs in the north (Harpshield Castle, Floshin Estate, Newfield)
Lizardfolk with steel weapons and armor (Rock Tower, Crom’s Hold)

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action: Attack nearest ogre


Bonus Action:
Horde Breaker:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Hunter’s Mark (if needed):
Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Initiative: +1
Perception: +5
Speed: 30
AC: 14/15 (dual wield)
HP: 49/49 HD: 5/5d10+2

Bolts: 51
Bolts used:
Handaxes: 2/2

Spells
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
2) 2/2 Pass Without Trace
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.


Vairar - elven cleric
Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Enseth - warforged war cleric shield guardian
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter
Lionel - halfling rogue folk hero
Escella - Human sorcerer
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Elves take positions on the arrow slits and shoot. But the first round totally dissapoints. It seems they are not used to move after each shot and the rotation doesn't suit them. The elves are creatures of patience and once they set in their bow stance (which takes time) they are not to be moved.

The arrows fall among the advancing horde, but not one orc so much as staggers.

The exception is their sargeant whos first arrow flies true and embedds itself in the orc rider. But this one is made of sterner stuff and one arrow is not about to kill it.

 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The horde charged forward while arrows flew from one side to the other. Most did not find their mark; the range was long, the light dim, and the targets moving (on the one side) and behind solid stone (on the other).

Most of the orcs ignored Tommi, had they seen him at all, as he climbed into the branches of a short, but thickly-grown old tree. Its gnarled trunk and limbs provided easy hand-holds for him to get up, and its thick growth provided much cover for him to hide in. ORB5 flew over to join him. The curious little orb was in stealth-mode: Its usual little lights were out and its usual buzzing and squeaking were silent. Tommi found it a great comfort to have a friend nearby, strange as it was.

An orc archer stopped running not far from the tree, and she scanned the branches, looking for them. Tommi could feel his heart beating and he held his breath, but the orc couldn't see him.

Angis saw his quarrel strike the ogre and he began to reload. He was glad for his bale of hay, as an arrow that was flying for him struck it and lost all momentum before bouncing off the mounted crossbow.

An elf guard fired out the arrow-loop and then moved aside for Lionel to take the position as arrows clattered off the stonework outside. Lionel wondered just how safe he would be peeking out. The arrow loop was narrow, to be sure, but it was not impossible for an arrow to find its way through. As Lionel peeked out, one struck the edge and he ducked reflexively. The elf guard nodded grimly to him in support.

Viarar chanted blessings to the others as he held the door open for Escella. When Tommi failed to arrive, he closed the door and they sealed it tight.

GM: Resolutions
(PCs)
Angis did 6 (xbow) to Ogre
Dandin
inspired Angis
Escella
dashed
Lionel readied
Tommi hid (dc20)
Vairar blessed Angis, Escella, & Ryallan
(NPCs)
Ol'Sooty waited
Sgt.Ryallan did 15 (bow) to OAR
SunElf Guard1
missed (bow)
SunElf Guard2 missed (bow)
SunElf Guard3 missed (bow)
ORB5 flew, hid (dc14)
Auroch dashed
OrcAurochRider rode
DireBoar1 dashed
DireBoar2 dashed
DireBoarRider1 rode
DireBoarRider2 rode
Ogre dashed
Ogress dashed
OrcEyeofGruumsh dashed
Orog1 dashed
Orog2 dashed
OrcArcher1 failed to spot Tommi
OrcArcher2
missed
OrcArcher3 missed
OrcArcher4 missed
OrcArcher5 missed
Orc1 dashed
Orc2 dashed
Orc3 dashed
Orc4 dashed
Orc5 dashed
Orc6 dashed
Orc7 dashed
Orc8 dashed
Orc9 dashed
 

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top