D&D 5E (IC) Scourge of Daggerford

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Seeing the first gnoll in the doorway, Helgrim rests his crossbow on the flipped table in front of him and carefully aims. He does not want to hit young Lionel, and a few seconds go by before the old dwarf takes his shot.

The bolt hits the creature in the eye, and digs its way out of the back of its skull in a red gorey line. The gnoll falls over dead immediately.

"Sorry 'bout that," Helgrim says as he watches the corpse lying almost in the doorway.

OOC: Shoot the prepared bolt at Gnoll archer 2:
1D20+3 = [14]+3 = 17 (hit)
for 1D10 = [5] = 5 piercing damage


That, after Escella's blast, kills it.
 

log in or register to remove this ad

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Lionel knew that he wouldn't be able to hold the door for long with a gnoll pushing against it, trying to hit him with an axe, so he followed Lunn's advice and ducked away, running over to the fireplace where he loaded his crossbow and turned it back toward the door. By then, Escella and Helgrim had shot down the gnoll that burst through after him. A second gnoll came into view and he fired his quarrel at that one, catching it in the chest. Both gnolls landed in a pile in the doorway behind the overturned table.

Across the room, Tommi held gutter. When the last gnoll staggered from being grazed by Escella's eldritch bolt and ducked from Oh-Six's whizzing dive-bombs, Tommi slid gutter into its abdomen and it fell lifeless to the floor.

It was only as the room grew quiet that they realized how noisy the gnolls were - always howling a high-pitched whine followed by grunts and chuckles. A similar sound from upstairs indicated that more of the beasts awaited them above.

OOC: Escella did 6 to GA2 & 7 to GA6; Tommi finished GA6; Helgrim finished GA2; Lionel finished off GA4. That's all of them downstairs.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Upstairs, Doctor Wells peered through the store-room door, now open a crack. There seemed to be no defensive plan on the part of the gnolls there. They simply waited, psyching themselves into a lather (in one case, quite literally - the gnoll was foaming at the mouth). Three were here, howling nonsense and waiting for their turn to kill or be killed. It all seemed senseless.

From the sound of falling books in the Red Wizard's study, it seemed to Morgan that the Red Wizard, Thegger Grynn was planning a hasty exit and was collecting the most important parts of his studies in a hurry.

In addition, there had to be more gnolls about. Morgan was vaguely aware that Noryeghu, a particularly vicious gnoll who seemed to be the pack leader, occupied the rooms to the south with a few of his inner circle or bodyguards.

On top of that (if things weren't bad enough) an albino gnoll shaman was somewhere about, likely in the rooms to the north.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: Encounter: Inside Phylund Lodge
PhyHall4.jpg

(General Features) Difficult Terrain: Chairs; Visibility: Dim (Hearth); Cover: Table, Pillars
Phy2ndFloor3.jpg

(General Features) Difficult Terrain: Table; Visibility: Dim (Braziers); Cover: Table, Railing
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Escella AC14 HP 24/33 HD 3/6 PP18 SSdc13 3/4 1/3 2/2 SP 5/5 C:ER
Helgrim AC19 HP 47/58 HD 3/6 PP11* SDdc15 2/5d8 2W 1/1 AS 1/1
Lionel AC16 HP 49/51 HD 6/6 PP14
Lunn AC18* HP 44/71 HD 3/6 PP14* RGdc15 1/3 MA 3/3 BM 3/3
Morgan AC12(15) HP 32/32 HD 6/6 PP11 PI17 SSdc15 0/4 0/3 0/3 AW 0/16
Tommi AC14 HP 30/39 HD 6/6 PP17
Vairar AC18*(20*) HP 45/45 HD 4/6 PP13* SSdc14 4/4 3/3 2/3
(NPCs)
Oh-Six AC13(18) HP 22/22 HD 4/4 PP15(20)* SSdc13 1/3 fly60'
Grottur AC13 HP 16/19 PP13*
Name * AC * HP * PP * (Notes)
(BGs) Upstairs
Red Wizard (Thegger) AC15 HP 58/58 PP12 BC2/2 MA1/2 Ho2/2 Inv2/2 Wb2/2 SU1/1
Flind (Champion) AC15 HP 66/90 PP14*
Gnolls AC13 HP 22ea PP13*
-Gn1 22/22; Gn2 22/22;
GM: End Round Three; Begin Round Four?
 
Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Stoving his battle axe and taking one of the throwing ones in his hand, Lunn gets to the stairs and pauses a moment to wait for others to get ready

"I would run up and establish a beachhead up there. Several of you, Escella, Lionel, maybe Tommi, could dash in, shoot and return, while Helgrim and Vairar come after me to hold the line. What do you say?"


OOC: I won't wait on everyone to respond, everybody does how they like (as usual) ;)
Free interact: put away the battle axe
Action: ready throwing axe
Move: to the base of the stairs AD37, maybe one more square up (if possible without exposing himself to the fire from above)
 

HP: 32/32
AC: 12/15(Mage Armour)
Init: +2
Skills
Spell Slots:
Spell Save DC: 15
Arcane Ward: 0/16SavesPass Perc: 11 Pass Inv: 17 Pass Ins: 111st[ ] [ ][ ] [ ] 2nd [ ] [ ] [ ] 3rd [ ] [ ] [ ]
STR: 10+0
DEX: 14 + 2
CON: 12 + 1
INT: 18+4
WIS: 12 +1
CHA:12 +1
STR: +0
DEX:
+2
CON: +1
INT: +7
WIS: +4
CHA:+1
Arcana: 10
History: 7
Investigation: 7
Medicine: 4
Persuasion: 4
Religion: 7
Cantrips
Control Flames, Chill touch, Shape water,
Shocking grasp
Memorized Spells
1st
Grease, Mage Armour, Prot. Evil, Shield
2nd Arcane Lock, Invisibility, Web
3rd Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Slow


The last thing that Morgan wanted was for the Red Wizard to escape with all the evidence and, just as importantly, Morgan's spell book!

Quickly, he burst through the door, holding the strand of web delicately in his hand and, while retreating back to the stairs, he shouted arcane words and gently blew on the dusty web. As the web floated across the room, it grew thick and grey, filling the back of the room catching the rear-most gnoll among the thick strands and sealed the door that lead to the wizard beyond.(1) Hastily, the Doctor fled down the stairs, towards the axe wielding Lunn.(2)

"Hello, there, folks!" He nodded to Helgrim, "Your arrival is quite fortuitous and a welcome relief."



1. Casting Web(Save: Dex vs DC 15) or restrained.
TL;DR: If restrained Make Str save vs DC 15 on consecutive rounds to escape.

The webs fill a 20-foot cube from that point for the duration. The webs are difficult terrain and lightly obscure their area. If the webs aren’t anchored between two solid masses (such as walls or trees) or layered across a floor, wall, or ceiling, the conjured web collapses on itself, and the spell ends at the start of your next turn. Webs layered over a flat surface have a depth of 5 feet. Each creature that starts its turn in the webs or that enters them during its turn must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is restrained as long as it remains in the webs or until it breaks free. A creature restrained by the webs can use its action to make a Strength check against your spell save DC. If it succeeds, it is no longer restrained. The webs are flammable. Any 5-foot cube of webs exposed to fire burns away in 1 round, dealing 2d4 fire damage to any creature that starts its turn in the fire.
BQ/BR/BS/BT
34/34/34/34
35/35/35/35
36/36/36/36
37/37/37/37
The intent to to capture the gnoll at BT34 and to stick the door shut to prevent the wizard from leaving the room.

2. Using movement to move down the stairs to BY 37 (or AE 37 on downstairs map)
 
Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Lunn startles at the sudden rush and swings his axe arresting it at the last moment.

"Gud vay to get killed." He grumbles
"Grottur, get hold of this one, don't let him do anything!"
 

HP: 32/32
AC: 12/15(Mage Armour)
Init: +2
Skills
Spell Slots:
Spell Save DC: 15
Arcane Ward: 0/16SavesPass Perc: 11 Pass Inv: 17 Pass Ins: 111st[ ] [ ][ ] [ ] 2nd [ ] [ ] [ ] 3rd [ ] [ ] [ ]
STR: 10+0
DEX: 14 + 2
CON: 12 + 1
INT: 18+4
WIS: 12 +1
CHA:12 +1
STR: +0
DEX:
+2
CON: +1
INT: +7
WIS: +4
CHA:+1
Arcana: 10
History: 7
Investigation: 7
Medicine: 4
Persuasion: 4
Religion: 7
Cantrips
Control Flames, Chill touch, Shape water,
Shocking grasp
Memorized Spells
1st
Grease, Mage Armour, Prot. Evil, Shield
2nd Arcane Lock, Invisibility, Web
3rd Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Slow


"Wait! No! I'm on your side! I know Helgrim and Grottur! I was being held prisoner by a Thayan Wizard! He's trapped upstairs behind my webs!"
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The spider's web expanded to shroud the the south-west corner of the landing, covering the door to the Red Wizard's study in a thick tangle and wrapping up a startled gnoll. The others howled as the doctor dove down the stairs.

Grottur had began to follow Lunn's order, coming toward the stairs and he yelled to Helgrim in something of surprise, "'Tis the young doctor! They've kept him alive!"

Any suspicion toward the doctor that questioned what he had done to ensure his safety was put aside as the gnoll appeared on the stairs. Dr. Morgan Wells had barely managed to introduce himself to the intimidating Lunn Dornuk, when the gnoll was on him from behind, hacking at him with a hand-axe.

OOC: Gn1 is stuck in the Web; Gn2 got Morgan for 7.
 

HP: 25/32
AC: 12/15(Mage Armour)
Init: +2
Skills
Spell Slots:
Spell Save DC: 15
Arcane Ward: 0/16SavesPass Perc: 11 Pass Inv: 17 Pass Ins: 111st[ ] [ ][ ] [ ] 2nd [X] [ ] [ ] 3rd [ ] [ ] [ ]
STR: 10+0
DEX: 14 + 2
CON: 12 + 1
INT: 18+4
WIS: 12 +1
CHA:12 +1
STR: +0
DEX:
+2
CON: +1
INT: +7
WIS: +4
CHA:+1
Arcana: 10
History: 7
Investigation: 7
Medicine: 4
Persuasion: 4
Religion: 7
Cantrips
Control Flames, Chill touch, Shape water,
Shocking grasp
Memorized Spells
1st
Grease, Mage Armour, Prot. Evil, Shield
2nd Arcane Lock, Invisibility, Web
3rd Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Slow


The doctor shouts in pain and falls backwards but manages to maintain focus on the magical webs.
Concentration check succeeds:
_: 1D20+1 = [13]+1 = 14
 


AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Upcoming Releases

Top