log in or register to remove this ad

 

5E (IC) Scourge of Daggerford

Having travelled this road many thousands of times in the past five centuries, Sir Dafin was intimately familiar with every curve, bend, tree, and stone. However, he had not left the road for longer than these particular animal trails had existed; yet still, he easily led the Daggerfordians along them. With the Boon of the Elk (as provided by Tommi), they left no trace of their passing and made no sound.

A little under a half-hour after leaving the manor house, the group found the orcs. The had made camp in the shelter of a rocky overhang, grown thick with underbrush. Even silent, it was difficult to get close enough to take full stock of the enemy, sheltered as they were in the shadow of the overhang. ORB5 began to buzz foward, flying to make a count of them, while Dandin and Escella led the way up toward the road. It was a steep climb and the group kept hidden by using a rocky cliff and a large boulder for cover.

There were quite a few orcs spread out along the road, keeping to the sides under the cover of the foliage. A full count had still not yet been made when Dandin realized that there was an orc not ten feet away from him, on the other side of the boulder. The others were not far behind, but they were still working their way up, and Dandin knew that eventually they would be spotted.

GM: Encounter: Doughty Daggerfordians & Sir Darfin vs Orc Encampment on the Road South
SouthRoad1.jpg

Locations:
(BGs) Orog (AH13); Orc1 (Q18); O2 (M13); O3 (N8);
O4 (W10); O5 (AE12) O6 (AK16);
(PCs) Angis (P27); Dandin (O21); Escella (S25); Tommi (R28); Vairar (H23);
(NPCs) Darfin (N26); Guard1 (R22); G2 (T23); G3 (G23); ORB5 (AB24);
(Notes) Visibility: Outside: (Bright); Camp: (Dim); Terrain: Forest (Difficult); Cliff (30 foot drop);
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Angis AC14 HP 40/40 HD 1/4 PP14* SS 2/3
Dandin AC14 HP 23/23 HD 4/4 PP14 SS 1/4 3/3 BI 2/3
Escella AC14 HP 24/24 HD 3/4 PP 14 SS 4/4 2/2
Tommi AC14 HP 28/28 HD 2/4 PP14
Vairar AC18* HP 31/31 HD 2/4 PP13* SS 3/4 2/3
(NPCs)
Sir Darfin AC18 HP 60/60 PP 15*
SunElf Guard1 AC16 HP 16/16 PP12*
SunElf Guard2 AC16 HP 16/16 PP12*
SunElf Guard3 AC16 HP 16/16 PP12*
ORB5 AC13(18) HP 10/10 PP14* SS 2/3
Name * Damage Taken * (Notes)
(BGs)
Orog AC16 HP 50/50
Orc1 AC13 HP 15/15
Orc2 AC13 HP 15/15
Orc3 AC13 HP 15/15
Orc4 AC13 HP 15/15
Orc5 AC13 HP 15/15
Orc6 AC13 HP 15/15
GM: Begin Round One (with Surprise)
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
As the danger approaches so does elven lord become quieter, his mien getting serious. Killing is close and it is never light-hearted thing to do. He thinks on his magic, but at the moment just holds the sword ready.

Actions: double move to around T24 (or as close as possible - behind the boulder)
OOC: this guy could kill the party by himself :eek:
 



Kobold Stew

Adventurer
Tommi makes his way towards the road. Tommi blows into three pebbles he takes from the cliffside.

OOC: Uncertain how this works, but:
either: move/dash: R28 to S28, T28, U28, U27, U26, U25. Each space in difficult terrain. Still in the woods.
or: move/dash: R28, to R27*, R26*, R25*, S24. Counting climbing the cliffs in difficult terrain as triple*. Still in the woods.

Cast Magic Stone. If it can be assumed he can cast this beforehand, then he can either get somewhere near U23 by either route (still in the woods) or hide from where he is.
 

Dandin was disappointed as he peeked around the large boulder at the nearby orc. These orcs appeared to be wearing hides and instead of the axes that were the most common weapons of their kind, they wielded claw-like weapons, strapped to their forearms with knotted rope or sinew. In addition, he noticed that most of them appeared to be female.

OOC: Heat metal would not be at its best here, though not totally useless, I guess.
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Dandin peeks over the rock for a moment and smiles before loweing his head back down again. This was too perfect. Maybe he could get the orcs distracted for more fun and profit. He saw another orc over by a nearby tree and grinned as he held his finger up to his lips for the others to see.

Then he whispered a little message to the orc by the tree.

"Hey lump face! I 'eard that an 'elf wench were yer mammy!"

Using Message, I only wish Dandin knew orcish, but even if he doesn't understand the words, it should piss him off anyways. Deception: 1d20+5 22 to sound like an orc.

Side note, if they're metal and touching skin it would be enough to make the spell cause automatic damage with no save until they could remove them. But I'll probably save it in any case. Only have so many 2nd level slots left.
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
Once their presence is revealed, Escella casts a special form of darkness, targeting the Orog, hoping to catch the two orcs next to it in the 15 foot radius darkness. Escella can see through this darkness. "Take the visible orcs first, the ones in darkness should be delayed."

OOC: Spends 2 sorcery points to cast darkness so she can see through it. Does not expend a spell slot.
 

The Boon of the Elk was so amazingly useful that the orcs did not notice as the Daggerfordians and the Elves worked their way up the steep slope toward the road - they slipped through the thick underbrush, which only swayed slightly as if a mild breeze were passing through.

Even the heavy breathing of Angis, as the Dwarf hiked up the steep hill, was carried away with the breeze. He shuffled around the rocky switch-back and crept low through the bushes. He stopped just short of the road, staying low, and carefully loaded his crossbow.

OOC: Turn One, Move to (U28) & Dash (through difficult terrain) to (X27); Turn Two Move (still DT) to (Z25) & Hide (Stealth Check: 1D20+13 = [13]+13 = 26). Angis is hidden, holding his loaded crossbow within sight of the enemy. If @KahlessNestor comes back he can shoot with advantage.
 

The orc by the tree spun around, answering Dandin's spell in a thickly-accented version of the common tongue, "Eh? Hoo sezzit? Shawyer suff!"

The one across the road from her said in orcish, "What're you doing? No one's there."

The first responded to the other in orcish, "But I heard'im!"

OOC: This exchange will not reveal Dandin or the others.
 
Last edited:

Vairar and a Sun Elf Guard worked their way along the bottom of the cliff to the switchback. Sir Darfin came up behind the boulder - he was vastly experienced but somewhat out-of-practice for this sort of work, and he did not want to make his new allies feel unappreciated by taking over the operation. He nodded to the guards, who understood their jobs, and kept quiet. He was here to see that they succeeded and stayed safe.

Tommi came up behind the boulder, holding warm stones and his sling. He found a nice spot to hide, and was thrilled to notice that the boulder was cracked in half - with a tight crevice between the two pieces through which he could see an orc. This would serve much like an arrow-slit, allowing him to sling stones through it while staying behind the cover of the rocks.

Seeing that everyone was nearing position, and hearing the confusion caused by Dandin, Escella decided that it was a good time to act. She summoned a dense magical darkness around the already shadowy, guarded opening of the rocky overhang, centred on the largest of the orcs that she could see.

From her darkness, there were shouts of confusion that revealed the presence of more orcs that had been out of sight.

OOC: It's kind of like a wide-open cave over there. There may be more orcs behind the darkness - okay, there ARE more.
 

GM: Encounter: Doughty Daggerfordians & Sir Darfin vs Orc Encampment on the Road South
SouthRoad2.jpg

Locations:
(BGs) Orog1 (AH14); Orog2 (AG10);
Orc1 (Q18); O2 (M13); O3 (N8); O4 (W10); O5 (AE12) O6 (AK16);
(PCs) Angis (Z25); Dandin (O21); Escella (S25); Tommi (S22); Vairar (V26);
(NPCs) Darfin (T24); Guard1 (O21); G2 (T23); G3 (U27); ORB5 (AB11);
(Notes) Visibility: Outside: (Bright); Camp in Overhang: (Dim); Terrain: Forest (Difficult); Cliff (30 foot drop); Spells: Darkness (AE10-AJ16)
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Angis AC14 HP 40/40 HD 1/4 PP14* SS 2/3
Dandin AC14 HP 23/23 HD 4/4 PP14 SS 1/4 3/3 BI 2/3
Escella AC14 HP 24/24 HD 3/4 PP 14 SS 4/4 1/2
Tommi AC14 HP 28/28 HD 2/4 PP14
Vairar AC18*(20*) HP 31/31 HD 2/4 PP13* SS 3/4 2/3
(NPCs)
Sir Darfin AC18 HP 60/60 PP 15*
SunElf Guard1 AC16 HP 16/16 PP12*
SunElf Guard2 AC16 HP 16/16 PP12*
SunElf Guard3 AC16 HP 16/16 PP12*
ORB5 AC13(18) HP 10/10 PP14* SS 2/3
Name * Damage Taken * (Notes)
(BGs)
Orog1 AC16 HP 50/50
Orog2 AC16 HP 50/50
Orc1 AC13 HP 15/15
Orc2 AC13 HP 15/15
Orc3 AC13 HP 15/15
Orc4 AC13 HP 15/15
Orc5 AC13 HP 15/15
Orc6 AC13 HP 15/15
GM: End Round One; Begin Round Two
 
Last edited:


gargoyleking

Adventurer
Don't forget advantage on the shot, assuming you're shooting at one of the orcs in the darkness.

Sling: 1d20+4 8 1d4+2 6
Advantage: 1d20+4 20 (didn't see the part about getting advantage until after I posted.) Editing post.

Dandin laughed out loud at the confused orc and stepped out just long enough to sling a stone at the oaf. The stone crashed against the orc's head leaving a sizeable welt. As soon as the stone flew, the halfling turned and ducked around behind the elven guard who'd apparently been assigned to protect him. As he ran he stuffed the sling back into it's pouch.
 
Last edited:


Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
Through the crannied hole in the wall Tommi sees the orc making his way. With a single overhand spin he lobs a stone through the hole. It hits the orc, cracking him on the head. Tommi remains hidden in position, amazed at how silent everyone is.

OOC: 1d20+6=14, hit! damage = 1d6+4=6. I don't think Sneak attack dice count since there is no one adjacent, but itf there is advantage, it's +2d6=5 for a total of 11.
Maintain concentration on Pass Without Trace.
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Angis Honack
Floshin Estates/South road
Late Afternoon
Round 2

Angis crouched, hidden in the foliage, and took aim at the orc by the boulder (Orc 1, Q18). He mystically marked the orc and took his time before firing. The bolt caught the orc in the side, sending her staggering.

Mounted Crossbow: +6 2d6 100/400

Marauding gnolls (Ardeep Forest, noble hunting party hostage)
Orcs in the north (Harpshield Castle, Floshin Estate, Newfield)
Lizardfolk with steel weapons and armor (Rock Tower, Crom’s Hold)

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action: Crossbow, hidden, advantage
Heavy Crossbow Hunters Mark advantage: 2D20.HIGH(1)+3 = [13, 5]+3 = 16
1D10+1+1D6 = [3]+1+[4] = 8

Bonus Action: Cast Hunter’s Mark on Orc 1
Horde Breaker:
Reaction:
Concentration: Hunter’s Mark (Orc 1)
Inspiration:

Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 14/15 (dual wield)
HP: 40/40 HD: 1/4d10+2

Bolts: 11
Bolts used: 1
Handaxes: 12/12

Spells
1) 1/3 Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.


Escella
Vairar - elven cleric
Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Enseth - warforged war cleric shield guardian
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter
 

Their ambush went as well as could be expected. Dandin and Tommi slung their slings, and the elf guards threw javelins. Vairar prayed for blessings, while Sir Darflin flung flames across the road. The orc there rushed toward them on fire, but fell before getting far.

Angis, staying low, shot the closest orc with his crossbow. With a quarrel in her back, she turned and rushed toward him howling with rage, but was intercepted by one of the elf guards, who blocked her claws with his shield. Dandin ducked back behind another guard, and the orc he'd struck with a stone clawed her fiercely, but the elf held her own.

Orcs began to work their way out of the rocky overhang, through Escella's darkness, while she fired an eldritch bolt at one up the road who was rushing toward them. Something large moved in her darkness. No one could make it out but her (it was moving quietly, and ducking low behind the underbrush, but she was pretty sure it was an ogre - and there was something else there as well, but she could not be sure what it was.)

Then, from up on the cliff, two arrows rained down, striking Angis through the cover of the bushes. An orc was up there with a longbow, and he was a very good shot.

GM: Resolutions
(PCs)
Angis did 8 (xbow) to O1
Dandin
did 6 (sling) to O2
Escella
did 10 (EB) O3
Tommi
did 11 (sling) to O6
Vairar
blessed himself, Dandin & Angis
(NPCs)
Darfin did 15 (firebolt) to O4 (dead)
SunElf Guard1 missed (javelin) O2
SunElf Guard2
did 7 (javelin) to O5
SunElf Guard3
did 2 (javelin) to O6
ORB5
hovered about
Ogre moved
Orog1 dashed
Orog2 dashed
OrcSniper did 11 & 7 (bow) damage to Angis
Orc1
missed (claws) SEG2
Orc2 did 4 & 7 (claws) to SEG1
Orc3
dashed
Orc4 burned to death
Orc5 dashed
Orc6 dashed
 

GM: Encounter: Doughty Daggerfordians & Sir Darfin vs Orc Encampment on the Road South
SouthRoad3.jpg

Locations:
(BGs) Ogre (AG14); Orog1 (AF17); Orog2 (AB13); OrcSniper (Z6); Orc1 (V21); O2 (O19); O3 (W22); O4 (W12, Dead); O5 (AC15) O6 (AC21);
(PCs) Angis (Z25); Dandin (P21); Escella (P24); Tommi (S22); Vairar (W23);
(NPCs) Darfin (V23); SEG1 (O20); SEG2 (V22); SEG3 (X24); ORB5 (AB11);
(Notes) Visibility: Outside: (Bright); Camp: (Dim); Terrain: Forest (Difficult); Cliff (30 foot drop);
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Angis AC14 HP 22/40 HD 1/4 PP14* SS 2/3
Dandin AC14 HP 23/23 HD 4/4 PP14 SS 1/4 3/3 BI 2/3
Escella AC14 HP 24/24 HD 3/4 PP 14 SS 4/4 1/2
Tommi AC14 HP 28/28 HD 2/4 PP14
Vairar AC18*(20*) HP 31/31 HD 2/4 PP13* SS 3/4 2/3
(NPCs)
Sir Darfin AC18 HP 60/60 PP 15*
SunElf Guard1 AC16 HP 5/16 PP12*
SunElf Guard2 AC16 HP 16/16 PP12*
SunElf Guard3 AC16 HP 16/16 PP12*
ORB5 AC13(18) HP 10/10 PP14* SS 2/3
Name * Damage Taken * (Notes)
(BGs)
Ogre AC16 HP 60/60
Orog1 AC16 HP 50/50
Orog2 AC16 HP 50/50
OrcSniper AC13 HP 26/26
Orc1 AC13 HP 7/15
Orc2 AC13 HP 9/15
Orc3 AC13 HP 5/15
Orc4 AC13 HP 0/15 (dead)
Orc5 AC13 HP 8/15
Orc6 AC13 HP 2/15
GM: End Round Two; Begin Round Three
 
Last edited:

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top