D&D 5E (IC) Scourge of Daggerford

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Angis Honack
Floshin Estates/Swan’s Nest
Afternoon
Round 0

“Aye,” Angis agreed with Escella. “Shove ‘em under the bridge,” he suggested. “Guid job, lass,” the bloody dwarf told Escella as he limped over to pick up his heavy crossbow. He was able to yank one of the bolts out of an orc, but the other had broken. “Who’s tha’?” he asked Tommi, who was dragging someone out of the dirt hole across the pit.

Angis jumped down into the ditch to start shifting bodies to be hidden under the bridge.

Mounted Crossbow: +6 2d6 100/400

Marauding gnolls (Ardeep Forest, noble hunting party hostage)
Orcs in the north (Harpshield Castle, Floshin Estate, Newfield)
Lizardfolk with steel weapons and armor (Rock Tower, Crom’s Hold)

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action: Move Hunter’s Mark to last orc
Horde Breaker:
Reaction:
Concentration: Hunter’s Mark on last orc
Inspiration:

Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 14/15 (dual wield)
HP: 7/40 HD: 4/4d10+2

Bolts: 11
Bolts used:
Handaxes: 12/12

Spells
1) 2/3 Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.

Escella
Vairar - elven cleric
Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Enseth - warforged war cleric shield guardian
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter

The creature that supports Tommi stands down putting away his war hammer and shield. With dust covering everything and coming out of the crypt you might be asking yourself is this apparition mortal or not.

But it seems harmless enough now, if you ignore dead, partially exploded dog and an orc.

"It will take more work, but you might consider hiding them in the crypt. I wouldn't normally advise hiding orc bodies in elven crypt, but they already disturbed their rest and right now secrecy may be more important than pride."

It is hard to say if the warrior is elf, human or some variation thereof since the armor and the helm cover most of the face and the body. It is fairly lithe even in the heavy armor, but the voice is rough, certainly rougher than you would expect from an elf. Then again, it came out of the elven crypt on an elven manor and long hair cascades down his back.

Vairar runs back into the crypt and returns with a pack and long spear, the pendant fluttering in the light breeze. It is a blue field with a cloud raining.

He unclips a rope and trusses up the orc after checking him, it, for hidden weapons. Finally, he stands tall in front of the group
"I am Aredhel Vairar Aina'carthin and thank you for coming to my aid. If you didn't arrive, I'm afraid this place would be used as a staging point for attack on the manor. Me and my kin owe you a favor."

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"Yeah. This is Vairar," says Tommi as they reassemble. He makes his way to the Houndmaster corpse, and checks for keys or other things that might be useful.

"Why do you think this will be a staging point for an attack?" Escella says. "If the orcs already know about the secret entrance to the manor, they will send another force here when these orcs do not return. I also doubt we have the skill to hide that hole in the crypt wall to conceal our own entry. Maybe we put them in that building (AE19) to avoid further despoiling the crypt."

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Dandin straighens from the Houmdmaster's corpse just as Tommi gets there. He smiles at his friend and lifts one of the orc's arms to help pull him back down the bridge.

Seeing the others getting into what was likely to become a lively discussion on the merits of more stealth against the sanctimony of the dead, Dandin sighed.

"Look, I'm sure the dead won't mind a bit more company for the time being. We can have workers come clean it out and a priest come and re-consecrate the place when this is all over. For now let's focus on stopping these orcs and saving as many people as we can.

Maybe if we collapse the tunnel they'll decide it isn't worth the effort. We can even leave some of these corpses in the tunnel to show as proof of a 'good' idea gone wrong."

As they got things taken care of, and after dandin checked each of the orcs for valuables and potential magical items he stood to meet the 'elf?' They'd apparently saved.

"Sorry for the delayed introduction friend. I'm Dandin Applesbane of Daggerford, and we're the Doughty Daggerfordians, well some of them anyways. We came to help deal with these rampaging orcs. Are you from the manor then?"

Last edited:

"Collapsing the tunnel is a good idea. But the blood and lack of guards may make it hard to hide. But these Hulgorkyn were never the smartest."

The elf speaks levelly, the voice not getting any gentler now that the dust settled.
"Whatever you want to do, you need to do it fast."

OOC: If anyone knows military or mercenary bands or has special connection to the elves, they can recognize the flag

"We only need one or two bodies visible in the rubble," Escella says. "They'll just assume the others were trapped inside, hopefully. But before we do that, is there another way in? We don't want the ceiling dropping on us."

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The orc's sapper-tunnel was a way into the crypts, presumably for the orcs to rob them. The proper way in was a stair-and-hallway under the shrine. Vairar had sealed that path from inside, but now that he was not harassed by orcs, he was able to return through the sapper tunnel and open the way. The group gathered the orcs and filled the sapper tunnel with their bodies, and collapsed the tunnel on them, leaving false evidence, in case they were discovered by roaming orcs, that they had perished in their greed.

Within the shrine, there was a device for communicating with the manor-house (the reason the Daggerfordians had come) and they found it with a bit of difficulty. It was a carved soapstone, hanging from a silken rope on the wall next to a beautiful tapestry depicting the passage of seasons.

When activated, a voice filled the room, a woman speaking elvish, "Who is there? If you have desecrated our family crypts, you will not live long to regret it."

Vairar recognized the voice as that of Shalendra Floshin, Lord Darfin's sister. He had met her once, at the manor house, but clearly she was unaware that he had gone to secure the crypts (he was not a member of the house staff, but an occasional guest, this time only recently arrived.)

On the shrine's floor there was a patterned mosaic, and a circle began to glow brightly within it.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Dandin smiles as he hears the voice from the device. It was amazing how the elven language seemed to have a musical element even when spoken in anger. But then he schooled himself, it wouldn't do to sound amolused in this situation, and replied in the elven tongue himself.

"Not us no, but we did 'stumble' upon a party of orcs that'd just broken into them. Fortunately, we were able to dispatch them before they'd done more than break down a wall."

"I am Dandin Applesbane of the Daughty Daggerfordians. The duke asked us to look into the situation and see if we can help."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases