• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[IC] Underdogs [a core dnd game]

doghead

thotd
ic - Underdogs

Round 3

Washi glowers at the two three grell standing between her and the gnoll witch. Its obvious that they are not going to support her actions, or let her through to get at the witch herself. Their play has failed, and there is only one thing to do.

Washi glances her two companions, still entangled, then at the approaching gnolls. "Release them from your spell Assaq, or they will be butchered. Please."

With that she turns and runs.

Ershe gives Washi a moment to get clear, then casts his spell. Once more the vegetation goes wild. But Washi, even wounded, is again too agile to be caught. Although she is caught in the area of the spell.

The approaching gnolls begin to fan out slightly. Three head for the knot of grell and gnolls including Urthe and the party. Two make for Kornah and Wormis. They carry short spears and small shields.

Urthe and her companions watch the events unfolding.

Wormis despite his size, remains unable to free himself from the grasp of the plants. Kornah, pausing momentarily to see if Wormis is free, is once more bound by the vegetation.

"Get out of here Borthi!" shout Wormis. "There is nothing you can do!"

Assak, seeing that Washi posses no more threat to Urthe, lowers his bow.

Borthi begins to back away, keeping is bow ready. For a moment it seems that he will fire one last Parthian shot. But in the end, he turns and flees into the forest.

Adokul drops his bow and draws his sword. But it becomes apparent that he no longer needs it. He no longer needs it to protect Urthe from Washi at least.

Mogro continues to makes his way away from the camp until the events behind him give him pause, and cause to reconsider.

[sblock=ooc]I'm going to hold off posting round 4 for a day to give DEFCON a chance to post his Round 3 (and 4 obviously). But I thought I would get this up now to give everyone a chance to think about the next round.[/sblock]

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]I don't mean to step on Mogro's toes; if his round 3 action changes the situation significantly I'm willing to change this. But I wanted to post this now while I was thinking about it.[/sblock]

Assaq quickly replaces the arrow in his quiver, and turns to the gnoll leader, careful not to point a weapon toward her. He begins speaking rapidly, in an urgent tone, gesturing to Ershe at one point.

[sblock=trader]"Please believe that these fools were acting against the orders of my tribe's elders. You have every right to kill them for their crime, but we would consider it a favor if you would spare their lives so that they might face justice at the hands of our elders. As a token of our good faith, may we offer to magically heal the wounds these traitors have caused? Ershe here can draw on the power of nature for healing, and I carry a healing wand."[/sblock]

Autumn

First Post
Ershe quietly unbuckles his scimitar from his belt and drops it to the floor, watching Assaq and trying in vain to glean the meaning of his words. He can only hope that he is interceding on behalf of the transgressing grell.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Mogro leads Champion through the trees as the sounds of yelling receed behind him. "What a fool I have been! I have been played the fool! Why send us our here? Why?!? WHY?!?"

This last word he screams in frustration, and the sounds ring out through the trees. He grits his teeth and turns his head back towards the gnoll camp... anger overtaking him. He reaches up and strokes the mane of his steed, listening to the shouts of his brethren as they try and negotiate some sort of settlement. Mogro stands silently and closes his eyes... allowing the anger to pass.

A few moments later Mogro hears the sounds of crunching snow. He opens his eyes and sees Borthi running in his direction. The look of panic and sadness in his eyes tells him that whatever they had planned obviously has failed... and this sparks a little bit of hope in Mogro's heart.

"Borthi!" he shouts to him as he darts through the forest. "Did you fail at your assigned task?!? Have you been punished for your actions against Horak-krel? Heh heh... good."

With a sense of satisfaction, he begins leading his mount back to the gnoll encampment. Maybe their actions our here were not all for naught like he thought.

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
ic - Underdogs

Round 4

Ershe disarms himself.

Washi leaps and dodges, but is unable to remain free. A moments hesitation, and she is once more caught by the writhing vegetation. She screams with frustration.

The largest of the approaching gnolls shouts something, two of the gnoll interlopers change direction, setting off after Borthi. The remaining two stay with the large leader. They don't slow down. They don't lower their weapons. They charge the three grell standing in front of Urthe. The largest, marked by a scar running across his face, slams into Assaq. Assaq manages to turn aside the gnoll's spear, but the impact staggers the grell for a moment. Ershe, weaponless, is gifted a bloody gash that bleeds profusely. Only Adokul manages to evade the attack.

Urthe howls something in her native tongue and leaps into the fray. She grasps the spear arm of scar face. The larger gnoll shrugs her off. Urthe's two companions move forward, protecting the small gnoll. Heated words pass back and forth between the two gnolls. The other two gnolls, Scar face's companions pause, uncertain what to do. They don't press their advantage, giving the three grell a moment's respite to step back.

[sblock=Sense Motive DC15]Urthe seems to be insisting that Scar Face stop attacking the grell. Scar Face obviously does not wish to, but Urthe's commands carry some weight it seems. Enough to make him obey? Its not clear at this point.[/sblock]

Wormis and Kornah both struggle to free themselves. Neither are successful.

Borthi continues to flee.

Paused

Assaq ...

Adokul ...

Mogro ...

[sblock=Round 4 Notes]Gnoll 1 17 vs Assaq 17 = hit, no overkill.
* Dam 7 vs Soak 9 = 0 wounds.
Gnoll 2 21 vs Ershe 11 = 10 overkill
* Dam 14 vs Soak 7 = 7 wounds.
* * Ershe is moderately wounded, -1 to rolls.
Gnoll 3 11 vs Adokul 18 = miss.
Urthe 14 vs Gnoll 1 15 = miss.
Adokul, Ershe and Assaq still within melee range, if they wish to attack back, no move required. The 'step back' was most just descriptive. But they may also disengage cleanly if they wish to. Ershe's sword is still at his feet, close enough to pick up.[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
"I think she told them to stop. Ershe, get behind me. Here," Assaq says. He steps to Ershe's side, drawing his healing wand, and applies it to the fresh wounds.

[sblock=ooc]Sense motive 1d20+2=21
1 charge of CLW cures 2 wounds, 47 charges remaining.[/sblock]

Autumn

First Post
Ershe complies, staggering a little as he steps behind Assaq. He draws his own oaken healing wand, applying it to his own wounds, and between that and Assaq's help the bleeding has mostly stopped.

He covers himself with his shield, but otherwise remains passive. It's obviously up to Urthe now to find a peaceful solution.

At his side Vashi growls, tensed and ready to pounce on the aggressors. Ershe lays a calming hand on her head and she relaxes a little, though she still seems agitated.

[sblock=OOC]Sense Motive 1d20+3 = 22

Another 2 points healed - 3 remaining.[/sblock]

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Mogro moves closer to the battle to see the interloper grell stuck within the twisting foliage, and the gnolls in a shouting match with each other. His three companions stand quietly to the side watching the events unfold, and Mogro begins moving their way.

"I heard one of the others running off through the woods. I assumed their ill-advised attack did not succeed. How do you all fare? This has all been something that is going to play out badly when we all return home. I can feel it."

Remove ads