• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[IC] Underdogs [a core dnd game]

covaithe

Explorer
Washi said:
"You fools! They will kill us all for sure if we don't have the witch as hostage!"
"Then you will die," responds Assaq, unmoved. "You should not have come here. Mogro! Adokul! Don't just stand there, stop them getting closer!"

[sblock=ooc]From the round 1 notes, it looks like all the other grell act before us? If so, I'll wait to see what they do before acting. Assaq intends to shoot at Borthi, but if Washi and/or Kornah manage to close with the gnolls, he might engage them in melee instead.[/sblock]

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Mogro can't help but stand confused... and then become angry. A waste. That's all this was. A waste of his time, energy, and emotion. If this was the end result of all of this... these grell messing up whatever attempts at negotiation with the gnolls they were accomplishing... only for all of them to be struck down by said gnolls when the rest of them come out of their barricade... then he would have no part of it.

Mogro rushes over to where Champion is tied off, then unties his horse. He climbs up into the saddle and addresses the entire group of grell... both his party and the newcomers.

"Our efforts here have been destroyed. I will not attack our bretheren... regardless of how stupid there actions have just been... but I will also not stay here only to be cut down by these gnolls when they undoubtably believe we have betrayed them.

If the krel thinks so little of my beliefs that they would throw them in my face like this... then my efforts here are through!"

Mogro then takes off on horseback and begins the long, arduous ride back to his home.

doghead

thotd
ic - Underdogs

Round 2

The gnoll howls fill the forest.

Washi slows to a halt some fifteen feet in front of the party. She still holds her short sword, but does not take a fighting stance. She glances around the faces of the four grell in the party. "We still have time to grab the witch. Listen to the howls - they are coming. If we have nothing to bargain with, we are dead. By the spirits, they are gnolls!"

Borthi snarls as he watches Assaq cast his spell over Washi and the others. Borthi reloads, but pauses, glancing over at Washi, as if uncertain what to do. He keeps his bow loosely pointed in the direction of the party and the gnolls behind them, however.

Assaq readies his bow to shoot Borthi, but holds the action as Borthi pauses.

Urthe and her two guards watch the exchange carefully. Occasionally growled comments pass between them, but Urthe seems to be keeping her companions in check for the moment. But they maintain their wary, defensive stances.

Meanwhile, in the area of Assaq's spell Wormis struggles mightily to free himself. He is unsuccessful. Kornah successfully remains free, but is only able to move a short way towards the edge of the spell area.

"Assaq!" screams Kornah. "Release us from this infernal spell or I will make you regret it. Spirits help me I will." Beneath the bravado there is an undercurrent of fear in the big grell's voice.

Adokul finishes loading his bow. He draws and aims at Washi.

Borthi swings his bow to bear on Adokul. "Don't do it you little runt. Or I will stick you!"

Assaq, bow still at the ready, brings it up to bear on Borthi.

Washi glances around her, peering intently into the forest surrounding the meeting site. She freezes then turns back to the party.

"See, now you are dead!" she hisses. "You deserve to be slaughtered for your stupidity!"

[sblock=Perception DC 12]Approaching through the forest on the left and right of the party can be seen a number of gnolls. About 5. They could not have got there from the gnoll camp this fast - they much have been circling around as the party talked to Urthe. They are about 100 feet or so away. It will take them about a round to get within charge range. Close enough to charge in Round 4, in other words.[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]I usually write up the round summaries as I go, posting when everyone has posted, or a couple of days have passed. I don't usually interrupt round posts mid sequence. PbP games are slow enough. But in this situation (the stand off) it seemed the best thing to do.

Adokul's shot will trigger Borthi's readied action, which will trigger Assaq's.

Mogro's and Ershe's turns are still to come in the initiative sequence.

As for the last bit (the gnolls in the forest), I was going to give that to you at the end of the round. But seeing as we have a moment, I thought I would throw it in there now.[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
"See, now you are dead!" she hisses. "You deserve to be slaughtered for your stupidity!"

"We were dead the moment we stepped out of the forest, if these gnolls wished it. And yet we stand. As for you... if you throw down your weapons now, you may yet live long enough to stand trial before the elders." Assaq responds, arrow still at the ready.

Autumn

First Post
"Mogro! Mogro, wait! The krel did not do this. Kharad Fall does not speak for the krel - not yet. Not unless we let it."

A part of him wants to give chase, but he knows he won't catch Mogro on horseback... and after all, it's up to him. He can only hope that his words got through.

Turning back to the gate crashers, Ershe regards them with narrowed eyes, tensed and ready to invoke a second spell of ensnarement to compliment Assaq's if any of the free ones try to run.

OOC: Ready action to cast Entangle if any of the grell should try to flee.

doghead

thotd
Round 2 continued

Adokul pays no heed to Borthi's warning and moves to shoot. As does Borthi. Assaq shoots first. Assaq'a arrow takes Borthi as he is just about to fire, throwing off his aim. Adokul shoots Washi. Washi clutches at the bloody arrow, a stunned look on her face.

"When the learns you sided with the gnolls, you will never be permitted to return to your fall," hisses Washi.

"And if you do I will kill you myself!" bellows Kornah.

Ershe readies himself to cast entangle should any of the grell attempt to flee.

Mogro, seeing his avenues of escape closing, kicks his mount into a canter.

[sblock=Round 2 Notes]
Assaq 18 vs Borthi 13 = 5 overkill
* Dam 11 vs Soak 4 = 7 wounds.
* * Borthi is moderately wounded, -1 to rolls.
Borthi 14 vs Adokul 17 = miss.
Adokul 15 vs Washi 6 = 9 overkill
* Damage 12 vs Soak 2 = 10 wounds.
* * Washi is moderately wounded, -1 to rolls.

A quick recap. PC's are at the centre of the clock. Urthe and companions are at 12 o'clock, about 10-15 feet away. The camp lies beyond them. Gnolls can be see/heard coming from that direction. Washi is at 5 o'clock, some 15 feet from the PC's. Kornah and Wormis are further back, about 50 feet from the PC's. Borthi is a little further back, outside the area of Assaq's spell. Gnolls are approaching through the forest from 10 o'clock and 3 o'clock. They will be still outside charging range for round 3. Mogro is heading off along the lines of 8 o'clock.

Wounded: Urthe's companions (seriously and critically), Borthi and Washi (moderately).[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Assaq clenches his teeth in frustration at Adokul's attack just when things seemed close to a peaceful resolution again. But his choice is made; these traitors cannot be allowed to ruin the negotiations. Seeing that Washi is so close, he aims his second arrow at her, hoping to bring her down before she can close to melee range.

Voda Vosa

First Post
"I'm my own master now. You should leave now or perish here, it is your choice." Adokul states coldly. He knew that if didn't attack the traitors, the gnolls will not be so certain if they should treat them like allies or enemies. He draw his short sword, and place himself in front of Assaq. "Keep shooting her, she'll taste my blade if she approach too close" Adokul says with a smile.

Autumn

First Post
Ershe's stomach churns as Adokul lets his arrow fly with Washi making no attempt to defend herself, and even more so as he hears his next words.

"Stop this!" he cries, rounding on the two of them. "They're fools, but they are still our people. The gnolls' judgment on them will be harsh enough. What you are doing is murder. Washi! Back off and lay down your sword, and you may still have some slim chance of living out the day."

OOC: Obviously this is dependent on Washi still being standing by Ershe's turn. If not I'll edit.

Remove ads