• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[IC] Underdogs [a core dnd game]

doghead

thotd
ic - Underdogs

Urthe nods in response to Assaq's reply.

[sblock=Speak Trader]"That is good. We mean him no harm. We would have spoken with him. But he chose to leave quickly.

"We mean you no harm. You have heard about my people. You have heard bad things, I think. Some of them are true. But there are many misunderstandings.

"You come here to check on us, I think. You protect your people. You are brave. We respect bravery. The dorindi, the ... " she pauses for a moment, seeing the word, "spirits, serve the brave."[/sblock]

The small gnoll, if you can call nearly 6 and a half feet small, makes a gesture as she finishes the sentence. Ershe, while not understanding the words, recognises the gesture as a benediction to the spirits, the anima forces of the wild. The grel shaman use a similar gesture.

[sblock=Trader]"We are not here to make trouble. We wish to live in peace. We wish to trade. We need food. We need hides and materials for shelter. We need some weapons. We have valuables."[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]Thanks for looking that up covaithe.

Everyone Given the tensions between members of the party, I might leave Assaq to translate. Its not slowing things down any. Keep in mind that while you may have sneaked a peek at the sblocks, your characters only know what Assaq tells them :)

Voda, I'll get a corrected character sheet up in the OOC thread, and you can post it to the RG thread. Use the OCC thread for purely OOC comments.[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
"She says she's glad Hussik survived, that they meant no harm, and mean us no harm. She says they respect bravery, because the spirits serve the brave, or something like that. She says they want peace, and they want to trade for hides and food and building supplies," Assaq translates. "And weapons," he adds, with a significant glance.

Assaq speaks in a low voice. "Slim chance they won't hear us," he says. "If their ears are as wolflike as they look, they'll be able to hear a fading pulse at fifty paces. They might not speak grell, but... That witch of theirs knows too much. I'd wager she'll find a way to understand us. Still, we should speak quietly. Now, what shall we ask them? I for one want to know why they have come here as opposed to wherever their home was before, and why they are so different from the others of their kind we have known. We should probably find out what they have to trade, too. She says they have valuables, but..." he casts a glance around at half-finished encampment dubiously. "What else?"

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Mogro nods as he hears Assaq's translations. "I agree. They moved here for some reason... we should probably know why. Especially if there's a chance that whatever drove them here might come after them. I do not think the Fell has anything much to fear from these folks... provided none of our townspeople bring any fire down upon ourselves... but if tere is something greater to fear behind the gnolls, that is something we should all be aware of."

He nods once at the female and smiles. "If they are looking to trade, that is something we should definitely alert our town to. Maybe not weapons right away until we've established full village communications back and forth... but furs, spices, and the like would be good for both sides."

doghead

thotd
ic - Underdogs

The gnolls are obviously attentive while the grell speak among themselves. The gnolls listen, but show no sign of understanding what is said. At ten feet apart, it is possible for the grell to speak to each other without being overheard. But it would mean leaning close and whispering.

covaithe

Explorer
Ershe adds, "Ask what kind of food they need, and how much."

Assaq nods, and turns to the white-haired gnoll.

[sblock=trader]"It is true that we have heard of your kind, and that what we have heard is not good. And you say some of it is true. Which of things are true, and which are... misunderstandings?"
[/sblock]

To the others, he says in grell, "She said that some of what we have heard of their kind is true, but some is false. I asked which is which."

[sblock=ooc]I just can't seem to make the conversation make sense, asking all of our questions at once, so I'd like to do it piecemeal. Hopefully we can turn it around quickly enough that it won't take long.[/sblock]

doghead

thotd
ic - Underdogs

The small gnoll considers Assaq's question for a moment. She bares her fangs slightly. It could be either a snarl or a wry smile.

[sblock=Speak Trader]"I do not know your ideas. These are not my lands. Tell me what you know. I will tell you the truth."[/sblock]

[sblock=Assaq]Check made: Sense Motive +2. To Assaq it seems that her reply is a little more brusque than before. A little reluctant to discuss the topic. But she seems genuine enough in her promise to speak truthfully. [/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Assaq's teeth show also, but the glitter in his eyes is cold and hard. He speaks in a sing-song voice, as if quoting someone else. The effect verges on mockery, but it is hard to say whether Assaq doubts the gnoll's claim to speak honestly or the accuracy of the common wisdom he relates.

[sblock=trader]"Gnolls are bad news. They are savage scavengers of the worst sort. They live off others, raiding and killing, taking what they want, distroying what they don't. But what marks the gnolls from the others who do the same is that the gnolls seem to enjoy it. Gnolls, it is said, favour intelligent prey because they scream more."[/sblock]

"She wants to know what we know about gnolls. I told her," he says to his companions.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Mogro breathes a heavy sigh. "Did it not occur to you that they probably have the same fearmongering stories about us? In order to keep this civil, why don't you offer to tell her the truth about all the stories she might have heard about grell? It is the mark of a less-than-intelligent species to think the world revolves around themselves and that their manure does not reek."

He sighs again and shakes his head. "This is exactly the reason why our people fear getting attacked. Because they assume everyone is against them in an entirety and they react in anger and fear even without just cause. And thus it becomes a prophecy that is self-fulfilling. It is very, very sad."

covaithe

Explorer
Assaq shrugs, unrepentant. "If she is honest and sincerely wishes peace, she needs to know hard it will be to convince our people of that. If she does not want peace..." He smiles coldly again. "Then we are already dead, and it only remains to see how many of them we can take with us when we go."

Remove ads