D&D 5E (IC) Vault of the Dracolich (Ensemble)

FitzTheRuke

Legend

Encounter: Cult Assault Squad

Round Zero

As everyone gets into positions, Guldred swims up the river, barely visible to even those with vision that can see in the dark. He swims out into the lower lake and returns, sliding up out of the water and waving his hands. It is clear that he is warning of some danger lurking below the surface of the water.

From the high ledge near the cavern containing the Pillar of the Sun, cultists can be seen carrying some sort of barrels.

GM: Here's everyone's positions. People with * have gone. Let's give the rest a chance to post their initial reactions and then we'll start. (If you haven't gone, refer to the previous map for where you are.) For those that missed it, I'm going to try an experiment. No Initiative. I will go in order of posting, responding with monsters as it seems appropriate.

[sblock=PCs]
Name * (Position) * AC * HP
*Auraia (L12) AC17(19) HP51/51
*Aquaria (M13) AC17* HP51/51
Drako (K4) AC13(16) HP45/45
Kurzon (F10) AC20* HP52/52
*Lorenn (O13) AC16(18) HP42/42
Mord (O14) AC14 HP39/39
*Pyrus (C8) AC13 HP51/51
Sesto (L5) AC18* HP45/45
*Terrus (C7) AC16(17) HP57/57
*Torbin (I9) AC15 HP45/45
SnorLoska (L6) AC17* HP65/65
*Udit (M14) AC15 HP45/45
*Zander (L13) AC19* HP54/54
[/sblock]
[sblock=NPCs]
Dunmire (B10) AC13 HP30/30
*Guldred (P17) AC13 HP20/20
*Rhussuk (P15) AC15 HP24/24
*Shosha (M15) AC15 HP22/22
Zalena (C11) AC12 HP35/35
[/sblock]
[sblock=Skeletons]
Submerged. Can't be seen.
Bobskeleton (R18)
Skeleton1 (Q19)
Skeleton2 (S17)
Skeleton3 (T16)
Skeleton4 (R20)
Skeleton5 (S19)
Skeleton6 (T18)
Skeleton7 (U17)
Skeleton8 (T20)
Skeleton9 (U19)
[/sblock]
[sblock=Cultists]
Adept1 (Q25)
Adept2 (R30)
Cultist1 (Q24)
Cultist2 (R27)
Cultist3 (R28)
[/sblock]
[sblock=Mercs]
Archer (AE26)
Guard1 (AC24)
Guard2 (AD25)
Guard3 (AF26)
[/sblock]

Teeth0A.png

Last edited:

EarlyBird

Explorer
OOC: Would Zander know anything about barrel weapons, the Mercs might have had? If so feel free to have him yell it out.

Standing nervously in the shadows Zander hopes to prove himself to everyone. He watches the mercs coming up from the south with interest.

perception(+0),[roll0]
initiative (+2),[roll1]

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Mord didn't like the look of this. They were on the wrong side of a bottleneck with plenty of enemies to deal with. He decided to even the odds. "Back up and make them come in to get us!"

Raising his wand he cast his otherworldly darkness over the cultists on the ledge. The area becomes a zone of his dark patron's home plane. With a dark smile upon his face, Mord slipped back into the cave savoring the cries of surprise, bewilderment and horror.

[Sblock] Will move up if needed to target the right square, but Mord really wants to slip into the back afterwards.

Action: Cast Hunger of Hadar trying to hit as many as possible but will err closer to our location rather than farther from.
Zone of cold and darkness becomes rough terrain.
Creatures starting turn in zone take Cold dmg: 2D6 = [5, 2] = 7

Creatures ending turn in zone take Acid damage:: 2D6 = [5, 2] = 7
[/sblock]

Squirrels are evil!

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
As the warning of incoming enemies reaches him, Sesto comes up to the mouth of the cave to have a quick look of the area. He can see two groups of people in the lantern light. This doesn't look good, he says quietly to nobody in particular. What more said, makes sense to Sesto and he backs up a bit, about 30 feet from the mouth of the cavern, behind a rocky outcrop. Damn, this will be difficult. I can't see much without light, Sesto thinks to himself. Hopefully, the cultist and mercenaries will keep the torches lit.

OOC: Sesto will wait until the enemy is closer, readying himself to attack with mace or cast a spell.
Sesto will use Turn/Destroy Undead on those skeletons as soon as he can see them.

Last edited:

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
SnorLoska jumps to his feet wide awake. He quickly gathers his gear, getting sword and shield ready. He walks up to Sesto, near the rocky outcrop and whispers, What's happening out there?.
Sesto quickly explains to SnorLoska what he has seen. SnorLoska decides to stay with Sesto until the enemies are closer.
I can see through this darkness, Snorloska whispers to Sesto. How about you? No? I will warn you when they approach. be ready!

OOC: SnorLoska will wait too, and maybe even go after Sesto has done his Turn Undead thing... Hmmm, SnorLoska probably has to go before so that he can pass on the warning.

eayres33

Explorer
Drako creeps along the edge as he mutters an invocation to himself, he can make out the faint light of one of the other groups approaching in the distance.
OOC:
Drako moves to N10 and uses his Armor of Shadows invocation to renew his mage armor.
[sblock=Stats]
AC 16 with Mage Armor
HP 45
Speed 30
PP 13
Black Tentacle Rapier +6 to hit 1d8+3 magical
EB +7 to hit 1D10+4 damage
0 of 2 3rd level spell slots used
C: Eldritch Blast, Mage Hand, Minor Image
S: Invisibility, Misty Step, Shatter, Hunger of Hadar, Remove Curse, Fly, Fear
I: Agonizing Blast, Armor of Shadows, Thirsting Blade
[/sblock]