• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortals Handbook - ASCENSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Kavon said:
Actually, that's not what I said. I said that they are known to pronounce things wrong because they transliterate it first. Tien becomes Ten (sky/heaven/etc) - it sounds similar, but it's not quite it.

The problem with that idea is that it holds that any language that has its roots in another language is a corruption of that original language, instead of being a separate one. The English equivalent of that would be like saying that we don't use the original Latin for a lot of our Latin-based words, and as such we're pronouncing them wrong because we've transliterated them to English.

I know full well that there are Japanese people who can speak other languages with great proficiency, but I also know how a majority doesn't bother and just reads the transliteration - nothing wrong with that, but if you want to go into semantics about which name is the correct one (like you did), it becomes a bit more important, don't you think?

No, because I'm talking about which one is correct in the context of the Japanese language. Going back to the word's original derivation in another language won't help if you want to know the correct way to pronounce or otherwise utilize it in Japanese.

Not Shen Long, Xing Long (probably doesn't matter much, but that's what it is).
The way they pronounce the characters has little to do with it.. because that's not how they pronounce those kanji (like I showed in my first post on this derailment).

That is how they pronounce the kanji, just in Japan and not in China, and that doesn't make the Japanese version of the word less correct.

Like I said earlier, I wasn't calling the entire Japanese people poor foreign language speakers, I was just saying that when they transliterate words from foreign languages, certain details will be lost, making for the pronunciation of that word to faulty compared to the original - similar, but not quite it. If they studied the original language and all that, I'm sure they'd have little problem (if it was similar enough - I can't pronounce Chinese Mandarin right at all, though if I'd practice it'd get better - a Japanese person would probably be able to do it right if not transliterated).

This goes back to what I was saying above. Different cultures have their own way of reading characters and pronouncing letters, and when using words (especially names) in another culture, there'll be a different way of pronouncing/reading them that is correct for that culture. All of Japanese is not a corrupted version of the Chinese language.

For what it's worth, I think we Westerners also suck in our pronunciation - in general - when it comes to Chinese and such, not because we can't, but because of the transliteration.
Hm.. As such, I was criticizing transliterations as a whole, not Japanese people and their usage of it in specific. I was just trying to explain (a little awkwardly) that if U_K should use a correct term, he'd have to use the Chinese one instead of the Japanese transliteration (IMnotalwayssohumbleitseemssorrysorryO).

Fair enough. I just was also pointing out that it can be correct in the Japanese also.

I can see that I might've chosen some words wrong, and picked at things that didn't need picking, but that's something I can't change now, only clarify. Sorry if I seem like a jerk or anything, Alzrius. :3

It's cool. I may have been a bit overzealous myself.

Rockhoward56

First Post
Yo U-K!
What's up? the next update will be a big update you said?

Some thoughts about some powers : DA 61-63 : House of.... maybe a single Da to choose the race you want? Da:divine abilities
DA 74-77 maybe a DA for these?
DA 174: maybe Power Attack Mastery as prerequisite? DA 82 Master Rod would be a epic feat like Master wand ans staff i think.
Timestealer seem to be strong!!!

dante58701

Banned
Banned
To quote an Anastasia (my ever gothic girlfriend) "In the spirit of Halloween...could Krusty do the Nosferatu? Pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaasssssssseeeeeeeee!!!!!!! *blink blink blink*"

That request comes from both of us and our whole gaming group. We know there might not be time, but you could post it as a sampler for the next bestiary. Kinda like you did with your abominations. With the holiday coming up it would probably up your sales a bit. Your samplers were why I bought the first book in the first place. I adored the material within those few pages and kept thinking..."Holy :):):):) These Things Are Cool!!!". Anyway, just an idea.

The following needs heavy revision, it's for a vampire first one. How would you fix it krusty?

The Twin Blades of The Sanguinarian Prince (Major Artifacts)
Twin katanas forged of the purest neutronium, yet so light in the hands of their one true wielder that they require only the slightest effort to wield. Each is designed to withstand incredible forces and devastate even the mightiest of the divine.
Properties:Each of these katanas were forged by Ketseuki, their one true wielder and in the hands of any other, they are not only incredibly heavy, they act as though they are cursed, bestowing upon their wielder a luck penalty equal to their enhancement bonus. Furthermore, each katana is a +75 Everdancing - Mortal Dread - Umbral Nexus - Unerring - Vorpal Katana. Each katana automatically delivers the following supernatural effects with each successful attack:Damnation, Insanity, Maximized Vengeful Gaze of God (no backlash), and Symbol of Death (No HD limit). The caster level of each effect is 250th; DCs are Charisma-based and dependant upon the wielder. Finally, Ketseuki cannot be harmed by either or even both weapons.

Last edited:

Rockhoward56 said:

Yo dude! :)

Rockhoward56 said:
What's up? the next update will be a big update you said?

Well it'll be big...er. Chapter 4 will be done (although not dusted - because I want to squeeze another totally new 30+ powers in there) and you will get your first taste of the Portfolios in Chapter 3.

Rockhoward56 said:
Some thoughts about some powers : DA 61-63 : House of.... maybe a single Da to choose the race you want? Da:divine abilities

CR of creature equal to 2/3rds the ECL of the spirit.

Rockhoward56 said:
DA 74-77 maybe a DA for these?

Okay I have totally lost you... :confused:

Rockhoward56 said:
DA 174: maybe Power Attack Mastery as prerequisite?

You do understand I now have to look these up and hope that I haven't changed the darn numbers to know what you are talking about.

DA 174 = Total Recall...which I presume isn't hat you meant.

Rockhoward56 said:
DA 82 Master Rod would be a epic feat like Master wand ans staff i think.

Wands and Staves duplicate actual spells. Rods do not. Hence - its a divine ability.

Rockhoward56 said:
Timestealer seem to be strong!!!

I'll look into it.

Hi dante mate! :)

dante58701 said:
To quote an Anastasia (my ever gothic girlfriend) "In the spirit of Halloween...could Krusty do the Nosferatu? Pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaasssssssseeeeeeeee!!!!!!! *blink blink blink*"

Not unless she has a twin sister and/or cute friend who lives in Belfast. :lol:

dante58701 said:
That request comes from both of us and our whole gaming group. We know there might not be time, but you could post it as a sampler for the next bestiary. Kinda like you did with your abominations.

Possibly, but Volume 2 of the Bestiary is so far off that its not a priority and I doubt I would give the Nosferatu away free anyway, given all the vampire freaks there are out there. :p

dante58701 said:
With the holiday coming up it would probably up your sales a bit.

A preview of Ascension will probably be forthcoming. Not one of a book a bare minimum 4 months away.

dante58701 said:
Your samplers were why I bought the first book in the first place. I adored the material within those few pages and kept thinking..."Holy :):):):) These Things Are Cool!!!". Anyway, just an idea.

Well the only thing that isn't cool about my stuff is the slowness of the releases. ;)

dante58701 said:
The following needs heavy revision, it's for a vampire first one. How would you fix it krusty?

The Twin Blades of The Sanguinarian Prince (Major Artifacts)
Twin katanas forged of the purest neutronium, yet so light in the hands of their one true wielder that they require only the slightest effort to wield. Each is designed to withstand incredible forces and devastate even the mightiest of the divine.
Properties:Each of these katanas were forged by Ketseuki, their one true wielder and in the hands of any other, they are not only incredibly heavy, they act as though they are cursed, bestowing upon their wielder a luck penalty equal to their enhancement bonus. Furthermore, each katana is a +75 Everdancing - Mortal Dread - Umbral Nexus - Unerring - Vorpal Katana. Each katana automatically delivers the following supernatural effects with each successful attack:Damnation, Insanity, Maximized Vengeful Gaze of God (no backlash), and Symbol of Death (No HD limit). The caster level of each effect is 250th; DCs are Charisma-based and dependant upon the wielder. Finally, Ketseuki cannot be harmed by either or even both weapons.

Cart before the horse.

What is the Vampire First Ones ECL?

Also a Vampire First One would probably be more akin to a Varcolac than a Nosferatu...and no I am not previewing the Varcolac either! :p

Rockhoward56

First Post
Yo U-k , thanks for your answers!
Da-74-77 are Legendary Compagnion,Steed and Familiar. Maybe a Single Da: you're compagnion , steed or familiar gain the legendary template?

Da:174 is Uncanny Power Attack.
About Master Rod maybe , epic stuff for me , high prerequisites maybe ?
want to see the chapter 3!!!!!!

Hiya mate! :)

Rockhoward56 said:
Yo U-k , thanks for your answers!
Da-74-77 are Legendary Compagnion,Steed and Familiar. Maybe a Single Da: you're compagnion , steed or familiar gain the legendary template?

Ah, now I see what you mean. I dunno, you can complicate things by condensing them too much (as I found out with the [Saving Throw] option. But I will think about what you have said.

Rockhoward56 said:
Da:174 is Uncanny Power Attack.

True enough.

Rockhoward56 said:
About Master Rod maybe , epic stuff for me , high prerequisites maybe ?
want to see the chapter 3!!!!!!

:)

Upper_Krust said:
Well it'll be big...er. Chapter 4 will be done (although not dusted - because I want to squeeze another totally new 30+ powers in there) and you will get your first taste of the Portfolios in Chapter 3...
30 more powers eh? Well, 3 of 'em might me Omnific to fill your 25 omnific ability quota.
Oh, I have a question: Do you plan to have a foil to the Nebulous->Undimentional abilities? (Or would perfect attack or some other ability already written do it?)
And your portfolio writeups look to be very interesting.

Hey Ltheb matey! :)

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
30 more powers eh? Well, 3 of 'em might me Omnific to fill your 25 omnific ability quota.

Indeed.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Oh, I have a question: Do you plan to have a foil to the Nebulous->Undimentional abilities? (Or would perfect attack or some other ability already written do it?)

Dual Actions, Multidimensional etc. Anything that increases the number of attacks is a foil for this.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
And your portfolio writeups look to be very interesting.

How do you know? You haven't seen them yet. :p

As ever the trick (mechanically speaking at least) is making something potentially complicated, simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads