In Defence of Chickens - DCC RPG (OOC)

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
I decided to take this over to RPoL.net, to take advantage of the bigger pool of players interested in PbP games. If you're both still up for it, you can roll on over there and request to join. The game is called In Defence of Chickens.

If you've not used the site before, it's free and quick annd easy to create an account (I just made one). Hope to see you there!

I like having all my PbP games in one place, which is here, so I’m hesitant.

In my experience there are many potential players here, but sometimes there’s a quiet time. Could be summertime.

I could ask a few people, if you decide to keep the game here at ENworld?

The basic rules for DCC are freely available at Goodman Games’ own website, so if anyone was afraid to join because they don’t have the book, go check it out!

thirdkingdom

Hero
Publisher
I like having all my PbP games in one place, which is here, so I’m hesitant.

In my experience there are many potential players here, but sometimes there’s a quiet time. Could be summertime.

I could ask a few people, if you decide to keep the game here at ENworld?

The basic rules for DCC are freely available at Goodman Games’ own website, so if anyone was afraid to join because they don’t have the book, go check it out!

Plus, there's a character funnel generator to automatically create characters here.

turnip_farmer

Adventurer
Well, that's what I get for taking things for granted!

I'm not picky about the venue. If you can convince any likely victims players here, then I'm happy to cancel the request over at rpol and run it here instead.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Hey, I'll play. I've played DCC in a Western setting, but it was a few years ago. I wouldn't say I remember a thing about the rules beyond the basics of the dice. Still, I don't know the adventure, and I'm always up for more PBP.

Let's give it a go!

turnip_farmer

Adventurer
Alright, well that was quick.
@thirdkingdom @JustinCase @FitzTheRuke @theCourier @TheAlkaizer makes 5, which is the max I'm willing to have a in PbP game.

First up, some rules. Each of you will control a group of 4 0th-level peasants. For those not familiar with DCC, don't worry - 0th-level characters are very simple and it's easy enough to introduce the rules as we go rather than rewriting the whole rule book here. The basic starter rules are available as a free pdf for anyone who does want more detail.

The basics of the game should be familiar to players of DnD and similar games. When you try to do something that might succeed or might fail, you'll roll a dice and add an ability modifier. If you hit a target number, you succeed. If not, you fail.

If it's a task that your character is trained in; or something anyone could accomplish without training, the dice you roll is a d20. If it's a task you're not trained in, you roll a d10.

There is no list of skills to reference. I will decide whether you're trained based on your character and the action you're describing, and will tell you what to roll. Training should be something that happened in the game or something implied by your character's occupation.

If you disagree, and think there's a really good reason why a cobbler would be experienced in following tracks through a forest, explain why, and I will either accept or reject your explanation. The explanation must be one sentence in length, and my decision will be final. PbP games go slow enough as it is without a debate on the distribution of tasks in a fantasy medieval economy.

Luck

Luck is not just a matter of coincidences and random chance. Luck is a real thing, influenced by the gods, and by forces beyond human ken. Everyone is born with some luck, and some have more than others.

If you roll a dice, and the number does not look high enough to you, you can burn luck to increase it. You can burn up to as many points Luck points as you have. So, if you roll a 12 for a saving throw to avoid falling to your death, you can declare you're burning 4 luck points to make it a 16 instead. But now your luck score is 4 points lower.

But, be warned. For most characters, Luck does not come back without divine intervention. It's a lifetime resource - save it for the important rolls!

Characters

Character creation is just a bunch of dice-rolling, but thirdkingdom has kindly pointed us to a nice online generator that will do all the rolling for you.

If you're still up for playing - head over here. Do not change any of the options except 'Style/Format'. Switch this to plain text to make it easier to share on the forum; and then just click the button. Do that four times, and you have your four characters all rolled up.

We are working on the honour system here. No rerolls - post your first four rolled characters here regardless of what you roll, and remember that cheating at pretend elf games angers the gods.

Each character just needs two more details, a name an an alignment. Alignment is a real thing in this game with mechanical effects, so choose wisely.

Lawful characters generally support order, stability, and the continued dominance of human society.
Chaotic characters want to tear things down, often to put themselves on top, and are willing to work with forces that want to destroy human society in the process.
Neutral characters can be those who support the balance between law and chaos as a principle, worshippers of nature, or those with truly alien mindsets such as the mysterious Great Old Ones.

You can, if you feel like it, add any more details or description of the characters' appearances that you like, but it's not necessary and I would caution against getting to attached to someone with 2 HP.

That's enough for now. Either let me know if you have questions or post your peasants, and we'll go from there.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Alright, let's roll!

Billy Happy, halfling riverboat sailor (Lawful)

0-level Occupation: Halfling mariner
Strength: 8 (-1)
Agility: 13 (+1)
Stamina: 13 (+1)
Personality: 7 (-1)
Intelligence: 12 (0)
Luck: 13 (+1)
AC: 11; HP: 5
Weapon: Knife (as dagger) -1 (1d4-1)
Speed: 20; Init: 1; Ref: 1; Fort: 1; Will: -1
Equipment: Waterskin (5 sp)
Trade good: Sailcloth (2 yards)
Starting Funds: 38 cp
Lucky sign: Conceived on horseback (Mounted attack rolls) (+1)
Languages: Common, Halfling
Racial Traits: Halfling ability: Infravision

Billy Happy is a laidback halfling who pilots his riverboat slower than seems possible. He carries various produce to and from the next villages.
(deceased)

Esmee “Granny Grain” Grayn, corn farmer (Lawful)

0-level Occupation: Corn Farmer
Strength: 11 (0)
Agility: 4 (-2)
Stamina: 16 (+2)
Personality: 10 (0)
Intelligence: 12 (0)
AC: 8; HP: 6
Weapon: Pitchfork (as spear) +0 (1d8)
Speed: 30; Init: -2; Ref: -2; Fort: 2; Will: 0
Equipment: Mirror - hand-sized (10 gp)
Trade good: Duck
Starting Funds: 32 cp
Lucky sign: Righteous heart (Turn unholy checks) (+1)
Languages: Common

Granny Grain is the tough matron of the Grayn family that has run the corn farm for generations. A tall, wiry woman of indeterminable age, she is said by her grandchildren to outlive them all.
(deceased)

Jack the Gongfarmer (Lawful)

0-level Occupation: Gongfarmer
Strength: 5 (-2)
Agility: 11 (0)
Stamina: 14 (+1)
Personality: 10 (0)
Intelligence: 7 (-1)
Luck: 3 (-3)

AC: 10; HP: 5
Weapon: Trowel (as dagger) -2 (1d4-2)
Speed: 30; Init: 0; Ref: 0; Fort: 1; Will: 0
Equipment: Candle (1 cp)
Trade good: Sack of night soil
Starting Funds: 33 cp
Lucky sign: Conceived on horseback (Mounted attack rolls) (-3)

Jack is a lanky young man with the poorest luck. After failing at many different apprenticeships, he eventually found a job as a gongfarmer. It's a dirty job, but this awkward man who usually shies away from company feels he is the least of a burden to the village going about his nightly business.

Calvin Littlebrook the haberdasher (Lawful)

0-level Occupation: Halfling haberdasher
Strength: 9 (0)
Agility: 13 (+1)
Stamina: 12 (0)
Personality: 11 (0)
Intelligence: 7 (-1)
Luck: 9 (0)

AC: 11; HP: 2
Weapon: Scissors (as dagger) +0 (1d4)
Speed: 20; Init: 1; Ref: 1; Fort: 0; Will: 0
Equipment: Torch (1 cp)
Trade good: Fine suits (3 sets)
Starting Funds: 30 cp
Lucky sign: The Broken Star (Fumbles) (+0)
Racial Traits: Halfling ability: Infravision

Calvin is a finely dressed halfling, always carrying his scissors in case someone needs their clothes adjusted on the spot. A lifelong bachelor, he knows quite a lot of village gossip.

Two farmers A farmer, a gongfarmer and two halflings. Cool, let me think of names and alignments, and perhaps a smidge of personality, and I'm good to go!

Are you making a Rogues' Gallery to put them in?

Edit Nov 12, 2021:
Gained two PCs (see relevant post).

"Fleetfoot" Mac, the Squire - Law
0-level Occupation: Squire
Strength: 18 (+3)
Stamina: 11 (0)
Personality: 5 (-2)
Intelligence: 13 (+1)

AC: 10; HP: 4
Weapon: Longsword +3 (1d8+3)
Speed: 35; Init: 0; Ref: 0; Fort: 0; Will: -2

Equipment: Hammer - small (5 sp)
Trade good: Steel helmet
Lucky sign: Wild child (Speed, each +1 = +5' speed) (+1)
Languages: Common, Alignment

A strong, spirited lad who runs to most places and has a strong sense of justice.
Alice, the Miller-Baker - Chaos
0-level Occupation: Miller-baker
Agility: 10 (0)
Stamina: 7 (-1)
Personality: 8 (-1)
Intelligence: 14 (+1)

AC: 10; HP: 2
Weapon: Club +0 (1d4)
Speed: 30; Init: 0; Ref: 0; Fort: -1; Will: -1

Equipment: Sack (small) (8 cp)
Trade good: Flour (1 lb.)
Starting Funds: 20 cp
Lucky sign: Resisted temptation (Willpower saving throws) (+0)

A hard-working woman who wants more out of life, and is willing to turn to dark sources for it.

Last edited:

theCourier

Adventurer
All of that sounds great, Judge! Here we go:

0-level Occupation: Orphan
Strength: 7 (-1)
Agility: 12 (0)
Personality: 13 (+1)
Luck: 5 (-2)

Weapon: Club -1 (1d4-3)
Speed: 30; Init: 0; Ref: 0; Fort: 0; Will: 1

Trade good: Rag doll
Starting Funds: 41 cp
Lucky sign: Path of the bear (Melee damage rolls) (-2)
Languages: Common, Bugbear

A crafty orphan weak of limb, but strong of heart.

0-level Occupation: Squire
Strength: 18 (+3)
Personality: 5 (-2)

AC: 10; HP: 4
Weapon: Longsword +3 (1d8+3)
Speed: 35; Init: 0; Ref: 0; Fort: 0; Will: -2

Trade good: Steel helmet
Lucky sign: Wild child (Speed, each +1 = +5' speed) (+1)

A strong, spirited lad who runs to most places and has a strong sense of justice.

0-level Occupation: Miller-baker
Agility: 10 (0)
Stamina: 7 (-1)
Personality: 8 (-1)

Weapon: Club +0 (1d4)
Speed: 30; Init: 0; Ref: 0; Fort: -1; Will: -1

Equipment: Sack (small) (8 cp)
Trade good: Flour (1 lb.)
Starting Funds: 20 cp
Lucky sign: Resisted temptation (Willpower saving throws) (+0)

A hard-working woman who wants more out of life, and is willing to turn to dark sources for it.

0-level Occupation: Noble
Strength: 9 (0)
Agility: 9 (0)
Stamina: 12 (0)
Personality: 12 (0)
Luck: 16 (+2)

AC: 10; HP: 3
Weapon: Longsword +0 (1d8)
Speed: 30; Init: 0; Ref: 0; Fort: 0; Will: 0

Equipment: Pole - 10-foot (15 cp)
Trade good: Gold ring worth 10 gp
Starting Funds: 25 cp
Lucky sign: Righteous heart (Turn unholy checks) (+2)

The highborn daughter of an esteemed family, journeying to see the world before she has to settle down and marry.

turnip_farmer

Adventurer

Erm, a gongfarmer is not really a farmer. You can learn more about them in this blog about obsolete professions. It's an appropriate job for the character with the spectacularly low Luck score!

Are you making a Rogues' Gallery to put them in?

I thought we would just dump them all in here at first. If we decide to keep going after the first adventure I'll make a new RG thread for any characters who made it out alive.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases