• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Info on American States?

Del

First Post
Tarrasque Wrangler said:
I think the state of Arizona might have something to say about that.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/

"The Grand Canyon is more than a great chasm carved over millennia through the rocks of the Colorado Plateau. It is more than an awe-inspiring view. It is more than a pleasuring ground for those who explore the roads, hike the trails, or float the currents of the turbulent Colorado River. "

I never imagined being "pleasured" by a national park

Del said:
"The Grand Canyon is more than a great chasm carved over millennia through the rocks of the Colorado Plateau. It is more than an awe-inspiring view. It is more than a pleasuring ground for those who explore the roads, hike the trails, or float the currents of the turbulent Colorado River. "

I never imagined being "pleasured" by a national park
You've obviously never seen the Grand Tetons.

Malic

First Post
Thanks, everyone!

WayneLigon, thanks especially, I think that's got me on the right track. I found that one, put it together with a north america geography and a kid's book "National Geographic Our 50 States" (pictures! :) ), and that should at least get me started. I guess when I've read those I'll at least know what more specific areas to look for.

RangerWickett, thanks for the great outline ;) something to keep me going until those books get here in two months or so.

Anyone got any highlights for Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio or Vermont?

What's this? Kentucky Fried Chicken isn't from Kentucky?

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
RangerWickett said:
[*]Virginia - Thomas Jefferson, who wrote the Declaration of Independence, came from here. Nowadays it's most important because it's next door to Washington, DC.

This is pretty accurate of the northern four counties. Everywhere else is completely different. More rural and such. Think of the northern tip as an area that wished it was in New York and everywhere else which wishes the northern tip was in New York too.

[*]West Virginia - There's really no reason for this state to exist.

If West Virginia hadn't broken off, Virginia would be mega huge and we'd be a runner up against Texas. Kind of like California, only with cheaper housing. As it is, I think Virginians and West Virginians are happier for the split.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Malic said:
Anyone got any highlights for Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio or Vermont?

Ohio is sort of the red-haired stepchild of the country. The east coast thinks Ohio is in the midwest and the midwest thinks Ohio is an east coast state. Nobody wants to claim Ohio as their own. It's politically divided very evenly. If you wanted to tour america but only had the money to go to one state, I'd pick Ohio. Just remember to end your trip in Cincinatti, a very pretty city.

Vermont really, really, really wants to be in Europe. If they could, the entire population of Vermont would wrap itself up and mail itself to Brussels. Then they'd wonder why they couldn't get a decent hamburger. A very lovely, very expensive state to live in.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
RangerWickett said:
[*]Maryland - A small state in New England.

Dude, how big do you think New England is? New England is the states north of New York. New England is not "places that are not Texas".

Sheesh. Silly Texans.

Anyway. Maryland is where they grow milk. Apparently from cows. I'm not familiar with the exact procedure.

Lhorgrim

Explorer
Kentucky Fried Chicken originated in Kentucky, and was the most prolific fried chicken chain in the U.S. for decades.

I think what RangerWickett was pointing out is that over the last several years, the Kentucky Fried Chicken company started seeing some major competition from other chicken restaurant chains. They even changed their name from Kentucky Fried Chicken to KFC, which they said stood for "kitchen fresh chicken", that basically removed "Kentucky" from their image.

I hear that they are switching back to the original name now.

Shemeska

Adventurer
RangerWickett said:
[*]North Carolina - The less interesting sister state of South Carolina.

[*]South Carolina - The headlining state for southern slavery back during the Civil War. It's nice and trendy now.[/list]

*NC resident mocks SC*

Less interesting? Nice and trendy? *snicker* In my own experience, outside of Charleston and the beaches near the NC border, SC is a wasteland on the order of Beyond Thunderdome. Seriously, this is the state that probably saw a decent % of its income from sales of fireworks near the NC border (because for the longest time they were illegal in our state). SC is the state of 'South of the Border' the largest and most tasteless tourist trap in the world. They have a giant sombrero with a glass elevator leading up to the rim, and that's not the worst of it.

PedroLand typifies SC for you. Once you've seen the place and realize that it's serious about itself, it's one of those moments where a state just reaches out, shakes you like a British nanny and says 'Where's your God now?'.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Lhorgrim said:
I think what RangerWickett was pointing out is that over the last several years, the Kentucky Fried Chicken company started seeing some major competition from other chicken restaurant chains. They even changed their name from Kentucky Fried Chicken to KFC, which they said stood for "kitchen fresh chicken", that basically removed "Kentucky" from their image.

Kentucky passed a law that would have put a tax on any business that used 'Kentucky' as part of their name. KFC balked at the idea and changed their name since at the time they were already in the process of updating the look of their logo, advertising, etc.

Man, I haven't had KFC in a few years. Making me hungry.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads