• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Invasion of Mori - IC [3.5][CE/NE][planar]

Voadam

Legend
Snargle turns his black shiny eyes upon the cultists.

Hunkering in a hunchbacked position his claws scrape against the ground as he walks into the chamber.

Dichotomy

Explorer
Unlike the others, as Rose arrives he makes no grand display of himself. Rather, he looks on his toes, as if expecting the possibility of attack even here.

After the cultist gives name to the 'Lair of Shadows,' Rose lets out a quick snort of amusement. The tiefling follows to the planning room. Great. Another opportunity for Blabbermouth to spout at someone new, he thinks to himself.

moritheil

First Post
The cultists lead the party to a hewn stone room, where a massive stone table is surrounded by primitive wooden chairs. After indicating that you should sit, their leader takes a seat opposite you. A cultist brings two pitchers – one of water, and another of some dark, clotted substance. Mugs are provided.

“To begin with, there is the matter of the recent engagement. Our force met with unexpected resistance. There is no easy way to put this – the thing that destroyed the advance force on the plains east of here was the avatar of a greater power.

“Frankly, we are not certain why he chose to intervene. This should not be considered a failure of intelligence, but rather an unfortunate coincidence. Izzwn rarely intervenes in mortal affairs, save to show up at the site of some great victory – his patronage is, after all, that of strength and victory. He is dangerous because he is not in the habit of explaining his whims, even to his own priests. Indeed, we had thought him neutral in this conflict, as he values only strength. Obviously, we cannot face him directly – unless I have been misled as to the power of our esteemed guests.

“However, we can misdirect our enemies. I am too well-known here to take a direct hand, but I will provide whatever information I can to aid your efforts. The town nearest here was until recently a small village named Ferdham. Less than a year ago, it grew considerably when a war between local goblins and humans escalated, drawing together several goblin tribes. The humans, in turn, amassed a large army.

“We had hoped to complete the portal before the humans’ army mobilized, but unfortunately this was not possible. When we realized this, we reasoned that the forces of light would nonetheless be crushed between the goblins to the northeast and whatever fiends came through the portal.” The man gives an apologetic smile to the demons present. “It was only through the unforeseen intervention of a greater power that this plan was thwarted.

“The war may yet be ours, though – the goblins to the northeast remain unbowed, and even now they may be up to something. They could provide a crucial distraction, buying time for our forces to amass.

“I will give you details on the town: it is well-fortified, though it has been overrun at least once in the past few months. There is a high priest of Pholtus there, and their standing forces are still considerable – I would not recommend a direct assault at this time. The Duke of Antric once kept a palatial residence there, but it has since been converted for military use. It is possible to –”

A distant, muffled boom sounds. A robed cultist bursts through the door. “Pardon, great ones,” she says breathlessly, then turns to the man. “Roillard, those blasted kobolds have come for us!”

“A pox upon their ancestors!” snarls the haggard man. Turning to the group, he quickly explains. “We hired the mercenaries of the Brown Scale long ago for a project. It was unsuccessful, but they tried to demand their pay nonetheless. Of course, we refused. Now, it seems they sense weakness and have come to take what they think is theirs.”

Dichotomy

Explorer
Rose's faces breaks into a nasty grin. "Tell me then," he says in an errie whisper, "in which direction are they, and whether there is any need for them to be left alive."

Dog Moon

Adventurer
"Kobolds?" Vedak asks, dubious that these people would have trouble dealing with Kobolds. "Is there something special about these Kobolds that makes them stronger than ordinary?"

NapoleonicSoup

First Post
Pyre, feeling adventurous, took a mug of the clotted liquid and quaffed it, then stood up.
I doubt it's going to matter, they most likely won't go away if we ask them nicely. But then again, I wouldn't ask them nicely.
He hefted his spear above his shoulder and walks toward the exit.
Besides, they're kobolds, what harm could they actually cause.
((If the substance isn't blood, and would be poisonous to him (Will +14, Fort+10) he falls flat on his face and just thinks he is saying these things))

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Goblins to the east and humans to the west, and a god to stand over all. This will be a good challenge... Gabriel thinks, fitting a quote to his thoughts. At the interruption of the kobold attack, Gabriel rolls his eyes slightly and nods to the others. "By all means, if the Brown Scales need to become red to convince them that their pay is best left with you, then let us convince them of the error of their ways," he says grandly with a wave of his hand, like releasing the others to do his bidding. He knew he was doing nothing of the sort, and so did they (if they even cared), but for petty nonsense like this the appearance was quite amusing.

"Vedak, my good man, could you spare a moment? I know our comrades can handle a pack of kobolds. Matters of religion are not my forte, but you are obviously a learned man of great powers. Tell me, what do you know of Izzwn? Does he have artifacts or holy days or some ritual that could summon his avatar so fortuitously? I would like to remove such a powerful and unpredictable entity from the arena before formulating more mundane planes," Gabriel asks the bony wizard, his manner polite and pleasent. He seems to be waiting with genuine interest and eager anticipation.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
"Why not simply tell the Kobolts that their payment was stolen by the townspeople or some person of minor importance from the village. We then could have a painless way of seing how this village can handle an attack. Besides, I was told that fire from burning buildings has a strange hue here on the prime, and I'm quite eager to see this with my own eyes", Kelteror says, with definite eagerness. "Heck, we could even infiltrate the village, and get rid of the Kobolts to win their loyalty; yes, that definitely could be fun."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads