• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(IR) Announcing a New Strategic Roleplaying Campaign of Epic Proportions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems some underdark races are still not claimed, like Kuo-Toa and Duergar.
Duergar are almost non existant if they are existant in Greyhawk at all. For the rest... Kua Toa are weak and low in numbers. In canon that is. But it's the IR so that's easily changed. I was just thinking in canon hehe so yup that's true and could make a cool Underdark alliance.

The Duergar most of all would fit brilliantly in the IR.... NE and LE dwarves who are OBSESSED with their crafts and works. They live endless lives of toil and craft deep under the world above them caring for nothing else. They could most singlemindedly chase after the secrets of technology and invention... Now I think of it, Duergar would be the perfect IR race and civilisation, even moreso then dwarves and gnomes due to the singlemindedness of their persuits. Where Kuo Toa fit into that, I don't know but still.

Hmmmm seems like the Duergar would make a fine faction indeed Melkor, just one that might fit some more dicipline, restraint and single mindedness then your last endeavour ;)

Grtz TFO.

Serp, Edena, Will, Thom, GP. I love You all guys for the heart and effort that You are putting int our epic achievment.

And since my comp is broken, I cannot contribute as much as I want ... and apologise humbly for that.

I think that one issue needs explaination. Other was picked up by rest of the maginificient Players.

Armies need Upkeep ! Even Undead ones ... Necromacers need expensive resouces etc. Vampires need fancy coffins, ghouls need meat. Army need fresh corpses ... for replacement of rotten ones.

War should be expensive ! Very Expensive ! Guess why Iuz is living in backwater wasteland ? Not just because he's evil ... He's living in perpetual state of internal war with everything that breathes. So much evil races, evil humans, demons, elves and evil Boss just for good meansure. His hold is maybe seeming peaceful ... but in fact all it need to explode with violence is tiny spark. These huge armies, that I will posess to balance my ... unproductive country. Are mostly serving as medieval equivalent of police forces. But Theocracy will be crushed, and Wolf-God would learn meaning of "Teufelkrieg".

Anyone ... who understands rules, how about short term gains ? Pillage and juice out someone ... ( Permamently Burning out the land's PL's) to push out faster resouces, money, slaves etc. And leave desolated ruin behind ...

I think that it may be achieved that way: You need army to pillage province, and this army would be useless for other actions ... troops are busy.

At the start of next turn You are gaining additional Pl's but amount of additional PL's is destroying productivity of pillaged province by amount 1 to 1. And when it would reach 0 PL potential ... it meant that the province's economy in question was simply destroyed, not left even one standing stone ... woods cut out, or burned every people fled or killed or taken into slavery, or as cusine. And to rebuild it You need to allocate PL's from other sources. What od You think of this ?

Issue 2: Population. I would put it simply ... use spare PL's to improve wellbeing of Your people. For example, Iuz might build Colloseum so citizens might watch spilled blood and return home content ... and don't kill neighbourn out of boredom, today.

Less deaths, imigration by fools who heard that in particular place streets are made of gold. Or that Iuz's soldiers eat warm meal every day !

Since setting is almost medieval, how with such quietly devastating magics like "Contagion" ? Disease spreading like wildfire may ruin many countries ...

And without Clerical Magic ... one word, without Iuz.
Read history books about what Black Plague did to medieval Europe, sweetcheeks.

But it is concerning me greatly in other possible fighting point. Battles ... For example, here is list of troubles that I spotted:

-What if enemy is fighting with superior tactics ? Iuz might destroy supply lines of overhelmingly stronger Fuoryndy army of expensive medieval Knights. During this time his goblin worg riders, being cheap and mobile would harass their enemies from afar, mostly by shotting voleys of arrows from safe distance and retreating out of sight of the Knights. Im open combat, Fuoryndy Elite units will crush Iuz's Regular gobbos packs. Fev days without supplies, no cleric to create food and water, morale dropping frustration growing ... all wells poisoned, no livestock to plunder. They sta to eat their own horses ! Goblins well fed, after many "wictories" as Iuz said morale hig ... And when my godling feel safe in knowing that Fuoryndians are too exchausted to put much a fight, slaughter them during the night !

I will write more later. Kisses for Eclavdra.
I suggest we keep the game as simple as possible... with magic war tech and psionics along with infiltration and stuff the game is more then complicated enough. Especially at the start of the game and considering how things devellopped in the 3rd IR possibly even moreso later on.

Don't forget that these rules are just the basics, the real game is about strategy, politics and most of all DIPLOMACY. I once talked more then half of the world in supporting me after threatening to destroy 3 whole crystal spheres hehehehehehe.... :uhoh:

Really, you will want most of your ideas to be winged by the GM (Serp in this case) then that there are rules for them. It's annoying to have alot of rules and the existance of rules limits your possibilities. If you just be creative and let the GM wing and handle it and its effects things have more possibilities since there are no limits or bounderies to your ideas.

Rules can be broken, a GM's judgement not. Keep it simple is my advice.

Bugbear

First Post
Greetings and salutations,

I recived WR's E-mail earlier this week and have been pouring over the thread and decifering the rules and have decided to say hi. I haven't decided if I want to partake in the festivites as of yet.

Oh and Eluvan, The 'Kevellond League' was an alliance of William's factions, consisting (IIRC) of Keoland, Gran Marc, The Duchy of Ulek, and the County of Ulek. It does not exist outside of the 3rd IR.

James Heard

Explorer
I'd just like to say that I'm working on a document compiling and um, clarifying (I hope) the rules, maps, and faction list for the 5th IR. I'm not sure what to do with it exactly. I started working on it so I could stop bouncing around the thread looking for things and so that I could understand the rules better. I'm loathe to post it for fear that I've made some error and because it's as unfinished as of right now, but if Serpenteye would like the file for review or if a significant amount of people think it's ok I might be convinced to post the WIP version here or in another thread. I'm unfamiliar with what ENWorld does to copy/paste formatting from rtf docs when you plop it down in the forum reply box, is it bad? Magnificent? Not worth the trouble? Is there a word count maximum on forum posts?

Eluvan

First Post
Bugbear said:
Greetings and salutations,

I recived WR's E-mail earlier this week and have been pouring over the thread and decifering the rules and have decided to say hi. I haven't decided if I want to partake in the festivites as of yet.

Oh and Eluvan, The 'Kevellond League' was an alliance of William's factions, consisting (IIRC) of Keoland, Gran Marc, The Duchy of Ulek, and the County of Ulek. It does not exist outside of the 3rd IR.

Ah, that explains it just beautifully, thankyou. Well, if it's generally felt that it should also exist in the 5th IR, I'd be happy to take it on.

Bugbear

First Post
serpenteye Wrote (way back on page one)
the crystal sphere is cut off from all interactions with the rest of the Multiverse. Incidentally, the major Gods will also be cut off from the world and unable to influence the game.

I'm curous, If worshipers are cut off from there gods, how are Divine spellcasters reciving their spells. Normaly clerics (with the obvious exception of the cult of Iuz) would be limited to spells of 3rd level or less under these circumstances.

Edit: Nevermind, I found the ansewer further along:
The gospel of Serpenteye:
Iuz would get a special advantage from being a demigod in this setting since all planar communications have been cut off and divine casters can no longer recieve spells from their deities in the outer planes

In other words, they don't. Heh, puts the theocracy of the pale at distinct disadvantage dontcha think.

Last edited:

Anabstercorian

First Post
I don't think it's entirely necessary for it to exist, personally. While the 3rd IR should be remembered and revered, it shouldn't necessarily restrict our options for this game.

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Thomas Hobbes said:
I just (via e-mail) tried to enticed a player of mine to join through a combination of threatening to break his knees and offering him XP. I promise to not use these to influence him if he actually plays. :p He loves Machiavelli, which means he's a good bet to play, although he make take some persuading to play any of the large good leagues ;). Maybe he'll grab a neutral one.

Yes, quite, you can expect me to play. Nothin' quite like getting to be a conniving bastard AND getting free XP ;).

Out of curiousity, is it accepted to make up a new faction? If so I have my eye on a powerful psionic group, if not, I'll take another look at the current factions.

Last edited:

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
A number of new factions have certainly been created, but one thing that we seem to be worrying about is making sure that all of the existing factions get assigned, so Serpenteye doesn't need to worry about running them as well as the game overall.

Knight Otu

First Post
You could always choose to combine the two - for example, while the Cult of Ashardalon is (semi-)made up, it is the real power behind the throne of the United Kingdom. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads