Iron DM 2009 - FINAL MATCH - it's over!

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
Hey, from a non american gamer POW : what's Iron DM about ?

From previous posts I gathered that it nvolved GMing a lot at the expense of sleep, but aside from that ?

sorry for the newbie question.

Wicht

Hero

From previous posts I gathered that it nvolved GMing a lot at the expense of sleep, but aside from that ?

sorry for the newbie question.

Iron DM, as played here, involves the judge giving each participant in a round a list of ingredients. The participants must then devise an adventure summary/outline that utilizes all the ingredients. The adventure summary the judge likes best wins.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
A brutal test of story-spinning creativity in the face of harsh time constraints... basically what Stereofm said.

IMHO it's most useful to look at past matches: http://www.aquerra.com/IRON_DM/main_archive.htm

Im going to have to bow out. Just found out I have to work out of town for a week. Sorry about that.
No worries, and thanks for the notice. Hope to see you next time.

Cheers, -- N

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I was just thinking about how many different Food Network competition shows could be made into interesting D&D contests.

DM vs. City: This contest pits two DMs from a random city, against two DMs from the Rat Bastard DM group. Each team completes a series of challenges designed to prove once and for all which team rules the town. These challenges are designed to test a DMs ability to run a fair and entertaining game...things like, "In twenty words or less, resolve this conflict between two players" or "write a riddle that has 'ink' as its answer."

Chopped: A game for 4 DMs, played in three rounds: Magic Item, Monster, and Adventure. Each round has its own list of ingredients, and the DMs must create a unique magic item (or monster, or adventure) using those ingredients. One DM is chopped after each round, until only one remains.

RBDM Challenge: <Ingredient>: Like Iron DM, except there is only one incredibly difficult ingredient and all applicants compete at once and a single winner is chosen from all.

Ace of Dungeons: a glorified art contest, where DMs submit their most awesome, most kickass custom maps and terrain for a particular setting.

I'm sure there are more...

Pour

First Post
Haha I like those ideas, Clever.

Quick, and perhaps dumb, question. Are we designing with 4e, including skill challenges and such?

Wicht

Hero
Edition-neutral. Feel free to design for 3.x or 4e or Pathfinder, though, if one of those tickles your fancy.

I was looking through my past contests yesterday and in a prior event between me and Wulf, Wulf turned in a D20 modern adventure (which won).

Personally, I can't even speak 4ese, so I'll be sticking to d20 systems I am much more familiar with. Design for what you know and love.

Remove ads