log in or register to remove this ad

 

5E Ironfang Invasion (IC)

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Good thinkin', lad," Flint agrees. "A portcullis of sorts, to drop behind us if we need to get out."

OOC: Thinking back to earlier editions, I thought there was a roll of sorts for making such structures, but apparently in 5th edition there isn't. Do you want us to roll something, or just assume we get the job done making a wall and collapsable gate?
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Lal examined the flail once Harb decided not to use it. It was a most puissant weapon... was it enchanted?

Between practice rounds, Lal asked Flint: can you tell if any of this stuff is enchanted? The axe, the flail?

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Flint studies the weapon closely, turning it over in his hands and muttering some seemingly arcane words.

He then lowers the thing and looks into Lal’s eyes, his expression serious.

”Aye, it’s a flail. Hold it by the handle and try not hittin’ yerself on the head with it.”

OOC: Flint has no Detect Magic, although I’d like to roll an Arcana check: [roll0]
 

eayres33

Explorer
“I agree that we should try to make this cave as secure as possible, as for another way out it is rumored that in the ruins below there is a passage way to the Darklands, but I wouldn’t wish that journey on anyone.” Aubrin said as she looked at the others.

“I also think Flint is right, if we could explore the lower section that will give us more room, perhaps even a fallback position we could hide in if the Ironfang Legions find us.”

GM:
You are not pressed for time, so I’m not going to require you to roll construct a portcullis.

Flint checks the flail and the axe but sees no signs that point towards them being magical.

Harb investigates the caves; he finds the bodies of several troglodytes in the sleeping chamber and one in the stream that were previously undiscovered. The bodies seem unusually pale and there are puncture marks on their necks.
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
During this period of break, Lal will begin mastering the trick but devastating flail. After getting Flint's somewhat uncertain opinion, he asks Vin as well ( [MENTION=6805147]River Song[/MENTION] ) retarding possible magic on the weapon.

He also asks Loosh if he wants it instead

OOC: I *think* that it's either Lal or Loosh that should wield this one, given that it's a 2-handed weapon...

Lal also took advantage of his new connection with various animal gods to speak with the local birds, trying to see if they had seen any of the hobbed goblins nearby (speak with animal, beast sense)

Upon hearing of the Troglodyte with drained blood, Lal is left aghast. "Back home, there are evil spirits called the "Masan". They can fool their victims, and then drink their blood. Very dangerous, we cannot tolerate their presence here!"
 
Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Be sounding like my uncle Mason," Flint chuckles, "Sucking the life out of festivities. Still wonderin' why they kept invitin' him."

Then he turns serious again.

"Can't be having a bloodsuckin' monster running free beneath the villagers, or among us after we close the gate to above. After buildin' the gate, we should be going a-hunting," Flint says with determination in his eyes.
 

"No thanks, mate. I've got my pointy stick. I'd probably just hit myself with that thing." Loosh waves off the offer of the flail, then his eyes widen at the story of the masan. "Blood-drinkers... maybe we really should have just passed this place by and kept on running."
 

eayres33

Explorer
By the end of the day the gate has been completed, and while it does not look the greatest it would hold up to enemy attack for a short time at least. The villagers and Aurbin had spent their time cleaning up the caves and sanitizing the water supply.

The group has gathered around the edge of the pit leading to the lower levels a slight draft is coming up from the darkness.
 


Greenmtn

Explorer
Harb Half-Elf Paladin

OOC: If possible as soon as Harb finds those suspicious bodies he uses divine sense to check for undead and quietly let party members and Aubrin know what was found. I've leveled up and taken the sentinel feat.


Very well, I'll be right behind you to help."
 

Loosh was happy to let others go first. His axe-wound was still sore in spite of the magical healing it had received or perhaps it was all in his head. Soon enough, he followed them down into darkness.
 

eayres33

Explorer
Giana descends quietly into the chamber below is thirty feet wide by fifty feet long, there are unlit torches every fifteen feet along the wall. This vast chamber seems more finished than the upper chambers. Walls of smooth masonry stones intersect a mirror like marble floor. A statue of a twisting, insectile form stands in the center of the large chamber, as if a beetle-like god were flowing like water. Reliefs along alcoves to the east and west depict rough-hewn reptilian forms gathered around a step pyramid. Rough purple gems have been wedged into the reliefs, forming starburst patterns.

The southern wall has partially collapsed, cracking the floor and blocking what was once the only hall leading out of the room behind tons of stone and rubble.

GM:
Harb sense no undead within his range.
 




JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Foul thing," Flint mutters as he nods towards the statue. "Devil worshippin' leads to death, often yer own."

Not bothering to inspect the statue, Flint instead takes an interest in the floor. Smooth... as if worn? What could've caused it?

OOC: Studying the stone floor, to see if Flint can figure out how it was smoothened. By water, perhaps, or by some ooze?
Investigation: [roll0]
If applicable, a knowledge check: History (stonework; Stonecunning): [roll1]
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
OOC, to GM: Did Lal's spellcasting prior reveal anything? See post 1305 - I know it's a bit retroactive but...

Lal looked at the figure.

"It's the Bull of battle, Loosh not the Beetle. There is a Beetle of Mislaid Memories, but this doesn't quite look like it... Hmmmm....[/quote]

Knowledge religion in front of beetle statue: 1D20+1 = [1]+1 = 2


Aha! This is the Brick Layer, Master of Walls and Bricks. Represented by a Dung Beetle as you can see. Demands blood sacrifice" concluded Lal with a broad smile, *completely* wrong.
 

"I knew it started with 'B'!" said Loosh, half apologetically. Then he nodded, "Beetle of Bricks it is, then."

He then moved over to the star-burst gems, his old pirate ways making it nearly impossible to avoid the urge to pluck them out. He peered carefully at each, wondering if there would be some sort of secret path into the step-pyramid design, the way a real step-pyramid might have, or so he'd heard.

OOC: [roll0]
 

eayres33

Explorer
The statue resembles they symbol of the Cult of Khepri. Khepri represents those who toil in ignominy and squalor. He is a trickster, turning the indignity of his appearance and labor upon those who consider themselves refined, elevated, and superior to others.

As Flint examines the floors he notices the high quality stonework of the Derros who appear to have made this complex.

As Loosh looks around the room his vision appears to be blurred in a ten foot wide section in the middle of the north wall. There seems to be an outline of a sword and a breast plate hanging in mid air.

GM:
Sorry I missed that Ancalagon, but the animals have not seen any Hobgoblin’s close to the cave. There is a camp on the edge of the woods but it is several days travel away.


 


Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top