D&D 5E Is 5E "big enough" for a Basic/Advanced split?

Reynard

Legend
When I discovered D&D at the tender age of 10 years in 1985, I came in by way of BECMI and we played that for years before "graduating" to AD&D. Throughout the 80s and 90s there were effectively two D&D games, which while cross compatible were still very much their own games with their own complexities, themes and product styles.

With 5E being as big as it is now, but with so many people looking for different things, I wonder if 5E is "big enough" survive a Basic/Advanced style split between two compatible but distinct lines. If so, what would that look like? What settings get put in what lines?

If you don't think it would work, why not? Is it just splitting the fanbase or is there a different reason?

I don't think DnD was "big enough" back then, really.

5e's greatest strength is its ability to accommodate multiple playstyles at the same table - in other words, it can handle several types of players at the same time. It does this better than I imagined a ttrpg could possibly do so before 5e came out.

Splitting it would mean losing that. It would make games harder to find because you'd need to find the right group, pretty much force edition wars to happen, and not offer anything that DnD or on of its competitors doesn't already offer. Trying to push into Pathfinder 2e's market share is a small reward for a huge risk.

If you really want Basic 5e DnD - don't use feats. If you really want Advanced 5e - use feats, multiclassing and homebrew.

As far as I'm concerned there is enough discussion at the table already whether the latest books are allowed or not. (A few power players want to explore all new books while some other players barely know 20% of the content of the PHB). Even more splits and new distinct lines, which may each come with new books and content will only keep me in my trench where I keep the basic 3 books: PHB, MM and DMG and ban the rest.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I agree with @jmartkdr2 .

Plus, numerous options already exist if you want a more basic or advanced game. Into the Unknown is a 5e 3p influenced by basic, while Level Up is intended for those looking for an "advanced" 5e.

Heck, the free online version of 5e is also significantly more basic than the PHB. I don't think it would benefit them to introduce a competing official basic set, beyond the starter sets and the free version.

darjr

I crit!
As far as I'm concerned there is enough discussion at the table already whether the latest books are allowed or not. (A few power players want to explore all new books while some other players barely know 20% of the content of the PHB). Even more splits and new distinct lines, which may each come with new books and content will only keep me in my trench where I keep the basic 3 books: PHB, MM and DMG and ban the rest.
And then there are lots of folks that are where @Baldurs_Underdark is at.

Finally there are also a gradient from very old school style to very new modern. For instance I’m currently in a game where all stats are rolled and so are HP and encumbrances are tracked meticulously. It’s VERY fun. I also run and play in AL. Finally I run games very abstractly. All with the same set of rules.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
When I discovered D&D at the tender age of 10 years in 1985, I came in by way of BECMI and we played that for years before "graduating" to AD&D. Throughout the 80s and 90s there were effectively two D&D games, which while cross compatible were still very much their own games with their own complexities, themes and product styles.

With 5E being as big as it is now, but with so many people looking for different things, I wonder if 5E is "big enough" survive a Basic/Advanced style split between two compatible but distinct lines. If so, what would that look like? What settings get put in what lines?

If you don't think it would work, why not? Is it just splitting the fanbase or is there a different reason?
Well we think it works!

www.levelup5e.com

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases