• Binary Darkvision (no separate low-light) is Good

Votes: 31 39.7%
  • Binary Darkvision (no separate low-light) is Bad

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • No Option for Darkness as Bright Light is Good

Votes: 43 55.1%
  • No Option for Darkness as Bright Light is Bad

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I WILL NOT BE CONTAINED! (explain in thread)

Votes: 8 10.3%

Horwath

Legend
There's a few things I think I'll add to ''dim light'' penalties:
  • disadvantage on tool's checks
  • disadvantage to Investigation and checks to spot illusions
  • Halves range of ranged attacks and spells.
  • Speed halved

probably not all of it, but its a start.

1&2 yes.

3. No need, you are already limited by your sight range, and darkness does not limit the power of your weapon. You have disadvantage on perception, so if you can see it, you can shoot it.

4. No need also as you can run if you see only general features of terrain. And as mentioned, traps/hazards of DC10-15 become much more dangerous with disadvantage to perception.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
so if you can see it, you can shoot it.
I understand your point.
From my point of view, low light does not affect combat (unless you have hidden hazards on the battle map, that is), which I personally find weird: you have disadvantage to spot things 10 ft from you in dim light, but can shoot your longbow 150 ft with no problems?

That's why my favorite way of handling vision reduction is the way Shadow arrow from the AA works: ''unable to see anything farther than 5 ft away''

Its a little video-gamey, but I'd probably go with something like this:

Dim light: Cant see anything farther than 30 - 60 ft away from you. Disadvantage of all ability checks that require sight. Normal terrain is considered difficult terrain.
Darkness: You are considered Blinded *. Normal terrain is considered difficult terrain.

Now, they'll witness the true power of a torch!

Horwath

Legend
I understand your point.
From my point of view, low light does not affect combat (unless you have hidden hazards on the battle map, that is), which I personally find weird: you have disadvantage to spot things 10 ft from you in dim light, but can shoot your longbow 150 ft with no problems?

That's why my favorite way of handling vision reduction is the way Shadow arrow from the AA works: ''unable to see anything farther than 5 ft away''

Its a little video-gamey, but I'd probably go with something like this:

Dim light: Cant see anything farther than 30 - 60 ft away from you. Disadvantage of all ability checks that require sight. Normal terrain is considered difficult terrain.
Darkness: You are considered Blinded *. Normal terrain is considered difficult terrain.

Now, they'll witness the true power of a torch!

you don't need to see your target "clearly". you just need to see it. You might not see what exactly you are aiming at (disadvantage on perception), but you see enough to make a good aim.

Fanaelialae

Legend
My biggest problem with darkvision is it seems to make DMs think they should have goblins and orcs and such living without lights. Humans generally don't walk around in low light when we can turn on bright lights. Anywhere there is an awake, intelligent creature without blindsight who is not specifically lying in wait there should generally be lights going.
IMO, this is a legacy issue, because Darkvision used to allow perfect (albeit black and white) vision in total darkness. I think that the 5e approach is intended to make darkvision a fall back rather than the go-to option. Most races that live in total darkness would seek to have dim light sources anywhere they considered seeing important. However, I think a lot of DMs forget that it's changed or just don't want to incorporate it into their world building.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Not trying to be pedantic; it's just that it is not only the obvious solution, but the traditional one. Adventurers bring torches and lanterns (and magic) into the dark, and the darkness encroaches all around the tiny island of light they create.

It seems to me that pushing for an unlimited range, same-as-if-its-lit, everyone gets it solution to darkness is the same as just never having darkness in the first place. I think that darkness is a key element in establishing the mysterious and dangerous atmosphere that dungeon delving ought to (?) come with. Ignoring it, while fine if a group wants it, seems like dispensing with traps, or with environmental hazards- you're dropping an elements of game play that has a lot to offer. (In the case of darkness, for example, outside of the sheer flavor of it, there's the case of a monster staying just out of sight, pursuing the pcs by means of the light they're giving off, waiting for the right moment to strike; there's the instance of a trap that is based on colors, which darkvision can't discern; there's the case of opening a door only to have a sudden wind extinguish your torches, like in the example of play in the 1e DMG; etc.)

And yes, light is a solution- and in fact, the very best solution- to the party's woes when it comes to darkness. I think that's a feature, not a bug.

Obviously, not everyone agrees, and that's fine. But to me, darkness is a primordial, basic, instinctively frightful element of play. Taking it away, or diminishing it by making it trivial to overcome- and that's what it seems like you're looking for- really isn't to my taste, and seems to detract from play, at least in my style of gaming.
You’ve made some unfounded assumptions about my intentions, here. I’m not “looking for” anything.

I find it odd that Drow, as written would still use light on a day-to-day basis. They see in darkness as dim light, which is to say, with disadvantage... which seems odd for the subterranean race that tends to use darkness to their advantage. They even take daylight penalties, which seems like it would be fair trade to see normally in darkness.

For the other races, the current setup seems fine to me.

Remove ads