Is the spiked chain worth it?

Daedalus

Explorer
I'm sure this has been discussed several times, but I'm wondering just how potent the spiked chain is given combat reflexes etc...

kreynolds

First Post
Man! That sucker is vicious!! A fellow player of mine uses one of those. With him and his chain and me and my falchion, we can chew through legions! Even better, there is nothing cooler than being able to fairly easily disarm someone from 10 feet away. What are they gonna do? Take an attack of opportunity on your? Nope! You're too far away! They can't reach you. Try it out. The spiked chain rocks. :D

Shallown

First Post
I have a rogue6/fighter/4 spiked chain monky and he rocks. Gofor the expertise imp trip and siarm feats as well as combat reflexes.It makes for a nasty combo. They only draw back of a Chain is base damage so go for specialization or anything to up damage and since it is two handed it does 1.5 str dam which is sweet.

I love it.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Well it is a reasonable investment in feats.. its worth it if you position yourself tactically well. If you dont use it too well you lose most of its advantages. Overall its very good:

- Reach vs Reach Using creatures
- Combat Reflexes to get AOOs
- You can "hold" a lot of terrain allowing to protect spellcasters well...

My brother says the damage is not so good and thinks good stats help out and a good str and dex stat.

Damror

First Post
My current character has a spiked chain. I was a little doubtful at first, then I did some mock combat trials on my own and found a few stunning advantages.

My group is playing through RttToEE right now, and the spiked chain, along with other tactics, has kept me up and going when the whole rest of the party was down.
Basically, I use combat reflexes, shield spell or tumble, and the reach advantage of the chain to keep moving and avoid full attack actions and AoO from the opponents. I also have Monkey Grip, so although I loose the 1.5 Str bonus, (and suffer a -2 to hit), I can use the chain in one hand and carry my wand of true strike in my off hand. Add boots of speed, and I'm doing a stupid amount of damage every round and getting AoO if the opponent moves within my threatened area. Not to mention the Trip and Disarm benefits of the chain.

So yeah, if you use it right, a spiked chain is very tough. Also, you can use Weapon Finesse with it, so you don't even need a great Strength to use it effectivly.

Remove ads