Is the spiked chain worth it?

JLXC

First Post
CRGreathouse said:

That's the intent of the feat. For an in-depth analysis of this (and other) feats, I suggest The DM's Miscellany.

I agree that it shouldn't work for spiked chains (just as it won't work for bows), but using a shield or other weapon is the whole point - greatsword + shield, etc.

I know that. I have the book. It's just that many people shut off their brains when they play D&D. How did this guy see his character? A Wand in one hand and like 15 feet of spiked chain in the other? You cannot even freaking swing it properly with one hand! Whatever... it's just "Duh it's in da rules" thinking without actually imagining it. Pathetic and Munchkin all in one!

Its like a mage who have a familiar that literally spends Months in a pouch out of the way because the character wants the "special" abilities of the familiar but none of the hassle. It is MORONIC. The End. :mad:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I couldn't tell fro your post if you were railing against Monkey Grip or Monyed Gripped spiked chains. "I am officially Sickened by the DM who let his player use "Monkey Grip" and then weild something in the other hand. What a moron. How F'cking Munchkin is that." didn't mention chains at all.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
D&D is a game of the imagination. As such, I don't really see there being a "right" or "wrong" way to play it, any more than there is a "right" way to imagine a hero, or a "wrong" way to think of a dragon. It's one of the great things about this game.

Sure, you might not enjoy the same game someone else does, but there's nothing inherently stupid about their game, regardless of how they play it. :)

I will now take myself, and my soapbox, out of this thread. :D

Ruvion

First Post
I must agree with Lord Pendragon...although it is silly to imagine a fighter wielding a weapon designed for two-handed use with a single hand, anything is possible in D&D as long as it fits the flavour of your campaign. That said, if I was the DM I would not allow that specific combo (Monkey Grip + Spike Chain = single handed weapon) in my campaign. :D

I may reconsider that ruling if the PC chose the Master of Chains as his PrC (and has subsequently gained more than 6 levels in it)...

Iku Rex

Explorer
JLXC said:
You cannot even freaking swing it properly with one hand!
How do you use a spiked chain then?

I'd like to introduce the theory we came up with in our group...

First some logic...
1. Characters in combat do not have a "facing".
2. This would indicate that characters in combat can see in all directions at once.
3. That is clearly impossible!

Solution: Characters in combat are really spinning incredibly fast.

Where am i going with this?

Look at the picture of the spiked chain in the PHB. The middle ring goes around your neck. Then you put one of the two smaller rings in each hand.

As soon as combat begins, you will start spinning... :D

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Just like to mention that a non-combat reflexes optimised character can still get great use out of spiked chain.

My character has an 11 Dex, but uses spiked chain to great effect. The two particularly effective feats he has are Expertise and Improved Trip. Obviously having combat reflexes and a sky-high dex would help here :) but even so, this has proved a party-saving combination. Just for the record, he's not a particularly optimised anything - a Paladin2/Sorcerer4 because I wondered what kind of character this would turn out like. Suboptimal for most situations would be the word ! But he's great fun to play and in the last adventure really came into his own in covering a total party retreat.

Cheers.

gamecat

Explorer
If a character has whirlwind attack and a spiked chain, couldn't they attack all in 10 feet instead of 5?

And whats the beef with munchkin? Power gamer, and proud!:D

Remove ads