Is the spiked chain worth it?

Number47

First Post
Want to get some real bang outta that buck? Have the wizard Polymorph you into a creature with reach. According to the PHB, creatures with reach using a reach weapon double their natural reach. So become a troll and attack people 20 feet away and slice anything that attempts to move anywhere in your general neighborhood. It isn't even a bad feat for the wizard himself to pick up!

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I think it is fairly sweet, definetly get the combat reflexes feat and also get the expert tactician feat, an extra attack here and there gets brutal. Also it has some great coolness factors. :D

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Everyone has given some great examples of the advantages of wielding a spiked chain. I thought I'd point out one possible disadvantage of it, just so you're aware of the possibility:

Enchantment.

You are far less likely to find an enchanted spiked chain as part of your treasure hoard than anything else. There are no named magical spiked chains in the DMG, for instance. In a campaign where having weapons custom-enchanted is difficult, this may become a liability at higher levels.

Then again, if you're a fighter you have proficiency with all other simple and martial weapons as well, so you could freely switch between the chain and the flametongue as the situation dictates...

theridion

First Post
spiked chains are great, one handed or two handed. the real key is that you don't need to swap longspear for longsword... you can attack at range and in close combat. so when you focus and specialize, it really helps. now, you may not do as much damage as the fighter with a greatsword, infact, you'll average 2 damage less per hit. but, you can make up for it in the numbers of hits on AoO, the manuverability of hitting someone 10 feet away, and the ability to avoid AoO.

a psionic warrior with the "stand still" feat can empower his chain so that if someone charging at him provokes an AoO, he gets to swing. if he deals damage, they have to make a fortitude save(DC 10 or 15 + damage dealt by AoO) or be forced to stand still and not continue their charge. truly one of the best combinations in the game.

lastly, as mentioned, just because you cover so much ground, you demand respect. spellcasters can stand behind you, you can hold off monsters in a 25 foot wide corridor, and with cleave, you can take out quite a few opponents.

overall, the spiked chain doesn't do as much damage as a greatsword, but just compare the versatility of a fighter with a greatsword vs. a fighter with a spiked chain. one might be a better one on one opponent, but as a fighter, your goal much of the time is not to just deal damage, but to occupy opponents and take damage while archers, support fighters, and casters can have time to get in position or do their own deeds. a spiked chain allows you a number of combat options that you don't have with a greatsword.

isn't it annoying when you run into 5 opponents and the fighter charges at a couple of them, leaving the others free to assult the rest of the group? with a spiked chain, your always within a 5 foot step and a 10 foot reach of smacking that guy trying to hurt your wizard friend.

A Spiked Chain especially compensates the advantages of larger creatures with Reach.
If you have another "combat machine" (Fighter, Barbarian, Ranger, Paladin) with you, the one without reach stays in front und has to take most of the damage or at least attacks,(so a Barbarian might be the best choice, or someone with a high AC, or both) while the spiked chain guy may hit from the distance.

But for Raw Damage, a Spiked Chain may not be the best choice...

Forrester

First Post
Somebody said that a creature with reach, with a reach weapon, doubles their usual reach. I don't know that this is the case -- maybe if they have a larger version of the weapon it is. (Perhaps an Ogre with a Huge Falchion has 20' reach?)

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Forrester said:
Somebody said that a creature with reach, with a reach weapon, doubles their usual reach. I don't know that this is the case -- maybe if they have a larger version of the weapon it is. (Perhaps an Ogre with a Huge Falchion has 20' reach?)

An ogre with a falchio has normal reach, as a falchio isn't a reach weapon. An ogre with a longspear has 15-20' reach: it doesn't threaten the two squares next to him, but the third and the fourth. An ogre with a spiked chain threatens everything within 4 squares.

JLXC

First Post
I would like to say that I am officially Sickened by the DM who let his player use "Monkey Grip" and then weild something in the other hand. What a moron. How F'cking Munchkin is that.

"Gee my Spike Chain weilder uses a Shield too!"

Some DM's are just pathetic. You do realize that the WHOLE reason spike chains are Two Handed Weapons is BECAUSE they have to be used with both hands to have any chance of actually working right?

But it's in the RULES! I hear the lame player crying already.

Oh yeah, those of you who will decry "It's their game if they like it then it's fine" well.... I don't care what you think. I am just spouting off at something Stupid. Just because someone likes it, does not make it LESS Stupid.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
JLXC said:
I would like to say that I am officially Sickened by the DM who let his player use "Monkey Grip" and then weild something in the other hand.

That's the intent of the feat. For an in-depth analysis of this (and other) feats, I suggest The DM's Miscellany.

I agree that it shouldn't work for spiked chains (just as it won't work for bows), but using a shield or other weapon is the whole point - greatsword + shield, etc.

Remove ads