Is the spiked chain worth it?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Non-spiked chain reach weapons present the only ambiguity in the system. While most accept that a Whirlwind isn't possible with a longspear, sopme claim that it allows you to attack everyone within 5 feet, even though you normally can't.

With spiked chains , there's no doubt - everything in 5 feet.

noretoc

First Post
One of my PC crossed this female monk, in an oriental setting. He and the party killed her dad (who was evil, but she didn't know) and now she has sworn revenge.
hmm. Attack at reach, and close. Use as double weapon, use to trip, grapple, and pluses for disarm, all at reach. Combat reflexes makes this deadly. Last time they met her she was five. She is about eight now, and should torment them for a bit. I figure if she survives, the pc will hate fighting a lvl 10 master of chains, LOL. Oh she has a couple lvls in rogue too. hehe. fireballs, come on.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
gamecat said:
Well, that's why we have house rules, pal...

Not on this forum. :)

Seriously, if people cann the spiked chain a "munchkin weapon" now, what do you think they'd do if you let itWW in a 10-foot radius?

gamecat

Explorer
Considering we play at lunch during school, good role-playing is substituted for monty haul my character can beat up your character munchkin powergaming.

It's funny 'cos it's true...

Shard O'Glase

First Post
noretoc said:
One of my PC crossed this female monk, in an oriental setting. He and the party killed her dad (who was evil, but she didn't know) and now she has sworn revenge.
hmm. Attack at reach, and close. Use as double weapon, use to trip, grapple, and pluses for disarm, all at reach. Combat reflexes makes this deadly. Last time they met her she was five. She is about eight now, and should torment them for a bit. I figure if she survives, the pc will hate fighting a lvl 10 master of chains, LOL. Oh she has a couple lvls in rogue too. hehe. fireballs, come on.

I'm surprised someone who is 8 could even pick up a spiked chain. :D Gotta love those anime/wuxia like conventions in an oriental setting.

Polydamas

First Post
gamecat said:
If a character has whirlwind attack and a spiked chain, couldn't they attack all in 10 feet instead of 5?

As CRGreathouse said the feat specifies 5 ft. As for the assumption of reach....if you want to play in a world where critters with reach can whirlwind at distances up to 25 feet, go for it. Many, including myself, would consider that a little strong for any feat chain.

Last edited:

Remove ads