Is There A New STAR TREK RPG Coming?

It sounds like CBS is going to be doing a lot of licensing of Star Trek merchandise in the next year or so, to coincide with the show's 50th anniversary, and it's looking like Gale Force Nine might be launching a some kind of hobby game. Liz Kalodner of CBS Consumer Products reports that "in toys and games, Gale Force Nine will launch a new Star Trek hobby game title, Spin Master will launch RC vehicles and USAopoly will develop new Star Trek themed board games." That's not all they're doing, of course - there's lots of watches and toys and novels and 3D chess sets and the like coming, too, but it's the hobby game which interests us here on EN World! Thanks to Sentinel Marshall for the scoop.

07df3N8m.jpg

Here's what else is coming (non-RPG stuff):
  • Spin Master remote controlled vehicles
  • Wooden Expressions 3D chess set
  • Cross Cult novels for the German market
  • National Geographic Star Trek Guide To Our Universe hardcover
  • Accutime Star Trek themed watches
  • Brainstorm running apparel
  • Somerbond sleepwear
  • Treadless t-shirts and socks
  • Items from Build-A-Bear Workshop, Mezco, Roads Innovation, Titan and Wish Factory
  • Gale Force Nine Star Trek "hobby game"
  • USAopoly Star Trek boardgame
Of course, that list only says "hobby game", and GF9 is more known for cards and accessories, so there's a strong chance this is a collectible card game or something similar. It's not a board game, though, as that's being handled by USAopoly. Hobby games traditionally include CCGs, boardgames, RPGs, and miniature games. My bet is on a card game, but a new Star Trek RPG would certainly be fun.
SaveSave

Stan Shinn

Explorer
If GF9 does a card game, then could be that Margaret Weis productions would be a strong contender to license a Star Trek RPG (see for example Firefly RPG and other licensed properties they've done). If so, they'd no doubt do a Cortex Plus version of the game.

Fate or WEG/d6 would also be great rules systems for a new Star Trek RPG :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Personally I think that WOIN is very suited to Trek. Not that that was one of the design goals or anything...

ccs

41st lv DM
I'll bet the GF9 "hobby game" will look very similar to their Sparticus & Firefly games, especially Firefly, not an RPG at all.

For those of you familiar with their Firefly game, can you imagine how much more GF9 will be able to milk a ST license?
And I shudder to think how much space such a game will take up table-wise as the expansions roll out....

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There was a game that was a precursor to the Tales of the Arabian Nights board game called Star Trek the Adventure board game from west end games and Greg Costikyan. It's only two player. I'd love an updated version of that game with multiple players! You hear that GF9? Do that and consider it bought.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-The-Adventure-Game/dp/0874310296

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/34119/tales-arabian-nights

The board game license is going to a different company.

Xavian Starsider

First Post
I have little hope for the 50th anniversary blitz. The new movie has space elves and is directed by the Fast and the Furious guy (At best, a strange choice), and the new tv series is months late for the hype and will be pay-to-watch. The anniversary feels rushed (eager to capitalize on the success of the Star Wars revival), centered around mainstream content that won't satisfy. A hastily produced RPG would not be a good thing. Take 2 or 3 years and do it right.

At the moment Star Trek may be living long, but it will not be it's year to prosper.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases