Is There A New STAR TREK RPG Coming?

It sounds like CBS is going to be doing a lot of licensing of Star Trek merchandise in the next year or so, to coincide with the show's 50th anniversary, and it's looking like Gale Force Nine might be launching a some kind of hobby game. Liz Kalodner of CBS Consumer Products reports that "in toys and games, Gale Force Nine will launch a new Star Trek hobby game title, Spin Master will launch RC vehicles and USAopoly will develop new Star Trek themed board games." That's not all they're doing, of course - there's lots of watches and toys and novels and 3D chess sets and the like coming, too, but it's the hobby game which interests us here on EN World! Thanks to Sentinel Marshall for the scoop.

07df3N8m.jpg

Here's what else is coming (non-RPG stuff):
  • Spin Master remote controlled vehicles
  • Wooden Expressions 3D chess set
  • Cross Cult novels for the German market
  • National Geographic Star Trek Guide To Our Universe hardcover
  • Accutime Star Trek themed watches
  • Brainstorm running apparel
  • Somerbond sleepwear
  • Treadless t-shirts and socks
  • Items from Build-A-Bear Workshop, Mezco, Roads Innovation, Titan and Wish Factory
  • Gale Force Nine Star Trek "hobby game"
  • USAopoly Star Trek boardgame
Of course, that list only says "hobby game", and GF9 is more known for cards and accessories, so there's a strong chance this is a collectible card game or something similar. It's not a board game, though, as that's being handled by USAopoly. Hobby games traditionally include CCGs, boardgames, RPGs, and miniature games. My bet is on a card game, but a new Star Trek RPG would certainly be fun.
SaveSave

darjr

I crit!
That doesn't work. It takes me to a random thread post. In this case it takes me to one about hybrid classes.

Dire Bare

Legend
The board game license is going to a different company.

We don't know if the USAopoly board game license is exclusive. And that company tends to put out "special flavor" editions of things like Clue and Monopoly. So, I expect them to put out Star Trek Clue and or Star Trek Monopoly, or something like that.

GF9 is not known for RPG games, or card games, but they have branched out into board games for the "tabletop" market (us!). Having a GF9 Star Trek board game similar to their existing titles makes sense to me also.

But, of course, we won't know until we know!

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
The board game license is going to a different company.

Check out the release for the Doctor Who game GF9 is producing.

That game is referred to as a 'hobby board game'.

I'd expect a Star Trek licensed game to follow in the same vein. In fact, if you go to doctorwho.gf9games.com, you can sign up for a 'receive updates on our games' e-mail, and Star Trek is included in the list of games you can be updated about.

--
Pauper

White Star + Five Year Mission has me covered. But if a real Trek RPG showed up again I would definitely be there. My time with the LUG Next Generation edition was some of the best gaming I did in the late 90's.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

As long as it's done "FASA style" and not, well "any other ST RPG style", I'll be happy. The FASA STRPG is, IMHO, easily the best at giving that Star Trek feel...especially the whole "space combat / energy fold out / chit's" thing! :D We had a campaign where we set up a room in a friends basement like the bridge of the original Enterprise (that was the era we were playing in)...we even had one of those little viewfinder thingies with the blue light in it that Spok would look into (the player of Jesus T. Kalikez, the hair-net wearing hispanic engineer, had made with cardboard and a blue christmas light). Ahhh...some of the best gaming I've ever had!

I hope to the gawds that they stay away from the whole "The PC's are all special-ops federation space marines!" craptastic thing some company put out at one time. I want to see odd coloured moon princesses, bumpy headed aliens in bad fur suits, glittery Styrofoam rocks and space-gods from earths past...and I want to have my engineer yell at me for trying to push the ship past warp 8. :) ... But I'd be cool with a Next Generation vibe too...just keep it "space exploration and role-play heavy" and not "combat heavy". If I want heavy space combat type games I'll play Star Wars or Shatterzone. Star Trek, to me, is mostly about diplomacy and archaeological discovery.

PS: Needs to be %-age based, skill based, and non-class-level based.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

aramis erak

Legend
I'll bet the GF9 "hobby game" will look very similar to their Sparticus & Firefly games, especially Firefly, not an RPG at all.

For those of you familiar with their Firefly game, can you imagine how much more GF9 will be able to milk a ST license?
And I shudder to think how much space such a game will take up table-wise as the expansions roll out....

I'll say this for their Firefly game: it's a substantial game, lots of meaningful decisions per hour, and plenty of push your luck, without being unable to stack the odds.

It's also VERY pretty.

And, while not an RPG, it can be very useful for the Firefly RPG in coming up with plots and complications.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases