• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Jeremy Crawford interview: they read your feedback. An exclusive interview by Christian Hoffer at GenCon.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Tried hard to be edgy and dark. I owned nearly every book in that era.... And this book and exalted deeds were just terrible.
The Book of Vile Darkness tried to be edgy and dark while simultaneously promoting the idea that any sex other than missionary position, in the dark, eyes closed, that didn't end with a sincere apology to Pelor was objectively Evil.

It was a try-hard book at the time and it's gotten even more cringeworthy with age.

Cordwainer Fish

Imp. Int. Scout Svc. (Dishon. Ret.)
BG3 is just one example of a 3rd party game that throws a bone
1692206261241.jpeg

Vaalingrade

Legend
I'm not even scuffed with sex and nudity, but people who want 'mature' stuff often want that sex and nudity to come in the form of incest and sexual violence because making people uncomfortable is being rebranded as 'challenging' when it's really 'Featured in tonight's episode: the author's barely disguised fetish'.

Incenjucar

Legend
The most I've used sexuality is the time the players needed to sneak through a room in a drug den where two giff were snogging and having a succubus pull a PC offscreen because the player had to leave early.

So this guy had one tedious chat with a WOTC guy, who said a couple of bland things, and he's posting each one as a special 'exclusive interview'?

1. 'We might revisit old settings again'
2. ' We read UA feedback' (really? that's an 'exclusive'?)

What's next?

3. 'We like dragons'
4. 'We use d20s - exclusive!'

Come on. There's hype, and there's stanning, and there's.... this. ComicBook,com saw fit to make an entire article to tell us that WOTC reads their feedback surveys?

If you have to have a boring PR junket with a WOTC guy, at least don't insult us by splitting each useless, obvious comment into a separate article.

Come on. Can we have Linda Codega back?
The irony is that Linda was the one who suggested the spinout. Also, I'm not posting anything as an "exclusive interview." Nowhere in my article do I promote it as such.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
BG3 takes that comment personally.
Did Wizards make BG3? No? Then the two are separate.
They've done it in the past with Book of Vile Darkness and the Book of Exalted Deeds.
They’ve also done 1 or more books a month in the past. What’s your point?
If they put out a book that hit the same tone, the same style, and yes I guess was 'blood and boobs' (is this a genre now??) as BG3 that would certainly go a long way in showing this supposed big tent is indeed for everyone.
Wait wait wait. D&D has to have GoT style supplements to be “for everyone”!? Do you know people who are incapable of enjoying anything that isn’t full of, as the phrase has been in this thread, “blood and boobs”?
I'd say that D&D should have different properties with diferent tones and moods and levels of "maturity." Someone upthread referenced comic books, and that is a good analogy: there are lots of Marvel books, all in the same universe, that have very different styles, tones and "ratings." D&D can have that, too.

The absolute refusal to allow D&D to acknowledge that humans are sexual sometimes is just weird, to be honest.
Why? Why would that be in an adventure? Why does D&D need to put half naked people in thier art? No one is going. To forget that “humans are sexual” lol like that isn’t soemthing that even needs said. 🤷‍♂️

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads