• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kiss of Darkness: Part 1--A Hint of Shadow

unleashed

First Post
Baeleth Dawnmist, Male High Elf Swashbuckler/Wizard

“No, it’s not, and I certainly try to be honest whenever possible, though sometimes it’s fun to try a little deception,” Baeleth grins, adding with a shrug, “Though the guards didn’t seem to react to Valerie’s honest request any better than the subterfuge she tried later on.”

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Rhaka smiles, seemingly missing Baeleth's point about lying being fun. "Either way, the guard were doing the job that they were hired for. If they let in everyone without at least calling the captain of the guard then what kind of guards would they be?"

While she might be obtuse, she certain doesn't appear to be trying to be obtuse with her comment and tone.

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Gotta go with nature girl on that last--if you claim to be someone important who they don't recognise, they have to get someone who does recognise you or they're being negligent. That said, humans can often be negligent creatures anyway, when that is the easy way out for them," Dhistan comments.

*They continue onward through the Merchant's District and inward to the Old City, along Petitioner's Way toward the palace. Eventually, they reach the gate in front of the shining white walls of the palace complex itself, a smaller counterpart to the walls around the town proper.*

(OOC: You were going to the palace, right?)

unleashed

First Post

OOC: I believe the palace was our destination.

“Well they should have gotten someone then, instead of saying they were and then not doing it... multiple times,” Baeleth remarks, still vexed by the guard’s behaviour, as they get underway again.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
"That said, humans can often be negligent creatures anyway, when that is the easy way out for them," Dhistan comments.

Rhaka replies, "While I appreciate your verbal support, your assertion about humans irritates me, not surprisingly. If I have learned one thing from the gods and goddesses of nature it is that all things have their strengths and weaknesses. To assume superiority only quickens your downfall. Look and the wild dog that chases the animals away from the watering hole and considers himself so supreme that he does not see the wolf waiting in the brush to kill him for his next meal. Humans have their fault, but so do your people - no offense, Baeleth. For every animal you chase away from the watering hole in your superiority I would not be surprised to see another waiting in the brush to take you out."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Fortunately, the elf is more perceptive than a wild dog. He ducks and skewers the wolf on a magicked blade, and then he has a meal as well as a drink," Dhistan laughs.

(OOC: Probably waiting on Val to try to gain entry at the gates--someone want to handwave through that while Bront has spotty access--good luck and speedy recovery to the wife, Bront!)

unleashed

First Post
OOC: We might as well wait for a little while and see if Bront can manage to post, as the next bit is probably going to be centred around Valerie, espcially if we go from gaining access to the palace to talking with the Princess.

Last edited:

Nonlethal Force

First Post
[Sblock=OOC]Agreed. I'm in no particular hurry, and waiting won't kill us. Besides, at this point it is just Unleashed and I carrying the game. If we go forward that means that you'll be NPCing all the regular NPCed people plus Valerie and Verra. It'd be okay if this was a game of two by designed intent ... but just doesn't feel right to have the DM doing half the player's work!

You know, unless we were working to a point where the game would lose Valerie and Verra. But since I don't believe that is the goal, we might as well wait.

And the comment about losing Valerie and Verra is not a suggestion, just me distinguishing between this game and what's happened regarding player attrition in the two games that I DM.[/Sblock]

unleashed

First Post

“No offense taken Rhaka... I know the foibles of my own people only too well,” Baeleth chuckles.

Bront

The man with the probe
Nonlethal Force said:
"That is unfortunate. I find that honesty is so much easier than keeping track of lies. Perhaps less efficient, but definately easier."
"For some, their lives are nothing but lies, to where those lies can become truths to them. For others, the truth is simply not an option. Tis a sad truth of life," Val says.

Val leads the others to the palace, and identifies herself to the guards at the entrance she usually uses (When not being discrete).

OOC: I'm being vague intentionaly so RA can fill in some details as needed :) I'm sure Val is familiar with how to get herself into the palace officialy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads