Knife of Dreams - SPOILERS!

Starman

Adventurer
Dragonblade said:
So more Rand is always a plus for me. Ever since book 4 he has been one of the only major characters to fully embrace what he is and what he thinks must be done. While all of the other characters spend most of their time whining, wringing their hands, trying to avoid prophecy, or jockeying for power, only Rand has been on a steady course the whole time.

"No truce with the shadow," always struck me as a profound statement of moral clarity amidst the confusing morass of conflicting emotions, goals, allegiances, and actions that plague the rest of the characters. And yet, unlike Galad, who does what he feels needs to be done and feels no guilt. Rand does what needs to be done but is plagued with guilt. He just doesn't get all angsty about it.

Has the fact that Rand and Galad are half-brothers come up at all? I think that would make for some interesting scenes. :)

I'm not sure I would say that Rand has been on a steady course. Granted, he's had a lot of obstacles, but look how much time he's spent just sitting around at the palaces in Caemlyn or Cairhien or somewhere else. He could have easily been much more active in trying to prepare for the Last Battle.

That said, Rand is my favorite character. He's been through a lot and the worst is yet to come.

It's hard to make judgements on Galad's character because we haven't been in his head much. I think the biggest difference between him and Rand is that Galad sees the world in black and white. There's a right way and a wrong way. Once he knows what the right way is, there's nothing to worry about. It's the right way, so there is no other way.

Samnell

Explorer
Dragonblade said:
I haven't read the book yet and spoilers don't bother me, but I think I will love this book. But I will say that I actually consider Rand my favorite character, just barely edging out Mat.

I liked Mat considerably less this book, but I think that's mainly because I'm not that interested in the whole romance plotline. Now had Mat been romancing the Son of the Nine Moons...

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Starman said:
-Stupid Forsaken. These guys are retarded. They are just now spreading the word that Mat and Perrin need to die? Sure, Ishmael did back in TGH, but you'd think it would have remained a high priority. Semirhage's attempt at kidnapping Rand was also pathetic.

So, you've captured a Forsaken. What do you do with her?

My first thought was that you just go ahead and Still her, and be done with it. If you come to a way to make her cooperate, you can fix it.

I did enjoy this a lot better than the last couple of books. Quite fun, really, with lots of cans of whoop-butt being opened.

Brad

Starman

Adventurer
cignus_pfaccari said:
So, you've captured a Forsaken. What do you do with her?

My first thought was that you just go ahead and Still her, and be done with it. If you come to a way to make her cooperate, you can fix it.

Just as with Moghedien, you make her cough up as much information as you can. Lack of cooperation means being stilled and executed.

iwatt

First Post
Starman said:
Just as with Moghedien, you make her cough up as much information as you can. Lack of cooperation means being stilled and executed.

Except you still her and have Nynaeve heal her. That will keep her channeleing but at a gimped level.

drothgery

First Post
iwatt said:
Except you still her and have Nynaeve heal her. That will keep her channeleing but at a gimped level.

No, you just execute her. If she's knocked down from uber-powerful to merely strong (say, on a level with Moiraine), well, Moiraine killed one of the Forsaken and made a very good try at another one. Moggy got away. Rand thinks Asmo got away. It's just not worth it.

iwatt

First Post
drothgery said:
No, you just execute her. If she's knocked down from uber-powerful to merely strong (say, on a level with Moiraine), well, Moiraine killed one of the Forsaken and made a very good try at another one. Moggy got away. Rand thinks Asmo got away. It's just not worth it.

But knowledge is power. And Sermihage is the greatest healer of the Age of Legends....

Now Sermihage is a different nut to crack than Moghy, but Cadsuane isn't Nynaeve either :]

By the way, all along ther series it's been said over and over again that you can't channel at what you can't see. Shouldn't somebody come up with the equivalent of a flashbang grenade to decomission channelers. :p

drothgery

First Post
Xath said:
I thought Taim was one of the Forsaken disguised. Is there something to refute this that I missed?

Jordan has explicitly denied that he's Demandred, and he couldn't possibly be anyone else (the other male Forsaken are busy being Moridin [Ishamael], being dead [Asmodean, Aginor/Osan'gar/Corlan Dashiva, Be'lal, Rahvin, Sammael], or in female bodies [Balthamel/Aran'gar/Halima Sharanov]).

Samnell

Explorer
drothgery said:
Jordan has explicitly denied that he's Demandred, and he couldn't possibly be anyone else (the other male Forsaken are busy being Moridin [Ishamael], being dead [Asmodean, Aginor/Osan'gar/Corlan Dashiva, Be'lal, Rahvin, Sammael], or in female bodies [Balthamel/Aran'gar/Halima Sharanov]).

And Rand has seen Moridin, at Shadar Logoth when he and Sammael were fighting. One presumes that having dealt extensively with Taim before, Rand would have known him by name instead of as "the Wanderer" had Taim been there.

Remove ads