• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Knights of the Virgin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elf Witch

First Post
Why to assume he is even right? Many civilizations were matriarchic.

Last time I checked males and females had the same ability arrays.

Here you are wrong. It isn't the fact that its evil that makes it offensive- its the fact that its assumed not to be :p

He was the one who said that he was considering letting female PC use dex instead of str because it was more realistic.

And if you study history while rare there were societies that woman had rights and protections in.

Again according to everything he has posted he claims they are evil but that there really is no group strong enough or motivated enough to oppose them.

Jimlock

Adventurer
Oh... and because I always like to picture my characters in a game, here he is

Adolfius (Bard)
Lawful Evil

adolf%252520hitler.jpg

Hunter99

Banned
Banned
And if you study history while rare there were societies that woman had rights and protections in.

No. It was only the renaissance, the enlightenment and capitalism in the west that lead to women gaining rights.

Before that, the whole of history is one where women were treated chattel.

Elf Witch

First Post
I thought their paganism would be obvious since Aphrodite is the greek goddess of love. (By paganism I don't mean the paganism of today. I mean that they follow the pagan maxim "eat, drink and be merry.")

As far as how life being unfair relates to D&D, if women were made physically equal and we pretended that in this fantasy world they had always had rights and everthing went as they wished, it would not be realistic. Consequently, it would be a bad story.

Aphrodite worshipers did not equate love with rape.

One of the definitions is one who is a hedonist so I guess they could qualify under that. If you study paganism though while some may be of the eat, drink be merry and some had orgies and used sex as a way to whip an orgasmic religious frenzy they usually did not endorse rape and coercion as a way to accomplish it.

Here is the way I am looking at it usually in stories with great evil the goal of the story is to over throw the evil. I don't really see that as your goal here.

I have been playing DnD since 1E and I had really though the hobby had moved away from stuff like this. I think the majority of female gamers I know would be totally turned off by a game where the only choice you have is to be a mother or a whore. Unless the goal was to destroy and rebuild the society.

I sometimes have issues when talking to woman I know who I think would love gaming to get them to realize that no it is not a boy's only club and we have moved past the days of chainmail bikinis and the majority of miniatures involved half dressed female wizards.

anest1s

First Post
I thought their paganism would be obvious since Aphrodite is the greek goddess of love. (By paganism I don't mean the paganism of today. I mean that they follow the pagan maxim "eat, drink and be merry.")

As far as how life being unfair relates to D&D, if women were made physically equal and we pretended that in this fantasy world they had always had rights and everthing went as they wished, it would not be realistic. Consequently, it would be a bad story.

Except that a god you don't believe is, isn't necessarily a pagan god.

And she was married. And she was cheating. Neither order follows her ''dogma''.

I wont comment on the last part.

[MENTION=9037]Elf Witch[/MENTION]

I know, I just quoted you or it wouldn't make sense if I wasn't replying to someone :p

The DEX thing will make woman stronger ironically. :p

Matriarchy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Elf Witch

First Post
No. It was only the renaissance, the enlightenment and capitalism in the west that lead to women gaining rights.

Before that, the whole of history is one where women were treated chattel.

Delphi, Gortyn, Thessaly, Megara and Sparta as well as ancient Egypt.

Stoic philosophers argued for equality of the sexes, sexual inequality being in their view contrary to the laws of nature. In doing so, they followed the Cynics, who argued that men and women should wear the same clothing and receive the same kind of education. They also saw marriage as a moral companionship between equals rather than a biological or social necessity, and practiced these views in their lives as well as their teachings. The Stoics adopted the views of the Cynics and added them to their own theories of human nature, thus putting their sexual egalitarianism on a strong philosophical basis.[

Elf Witch

First Post
Except that a god you don't believe is, isn't necessarily a pagan god.

And she was married. And she was cheating. Neither order follows her ''dogma''.

I wont comment on the last part.

[MENTION=9037]Elf Witch[/MENTION]

I know, I just quoted you or it wouldn't make sense if I wasn't replying to someone :p

The DEX thing will make woman stronger ironically. :p

Matriarchy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes it would which is why I giggle when I read comments like giving female characters str penalties and giving them bonuses in dex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads