TSR [Let's Read] Dungeons & Dragons Basic Rules, by Tom Moldvay

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=6680772]Iosue[/MENTION], when we will see more of this excellent thread? I'm especially eager to see your take on Chapter 8 (?) - GM advice and dungeon/scenario design.

Kai Lord

Hero
Hey everyone,

I haven't posted here in about 8 or 9 years but the 1E/Original Box Set Premium reprints WOTC is doing brought me back. Thanks for this thread. It's like nourishment to my soul being reminded of how awesome the Erol Otus box sets were and your posts have been a wonderful read. Thanks again.

SoldierBlue

First Post
Was inspired by this thread to pick up Moldvay Basic and Expert at my local gaming shop today. Incredible. I always had the Mentzer versions, and assumed these would be the same. Clearly written rules; excellent examples; great ambience. Plus LaForce/Willingham/Dee/Otus, and my fave, Roslof. Wish I'd had these 30 years ago.

Keep up the thread!

Iosue

Legend
Hey folks. Glad people are enjoying the thread! Work and other commitments have kept from delving more into the Monster section to date, but I'll definitely get things going again.

Today I ran my first live game of the Moldvay rules in over 20 years. (20 years! Jeez, I'm old.) I was very pleased with how it turned out, even though all of us were rusty in our BD&D play. As Hussar notes, the game is very tight and focused, and really works well when played in that style. We spent 45 minutes on chargen for four characters (did I mention we were rusty?), and explored a dungeon for about 2 hours and 15 minutes. I found that as a DM, having a caller was helpful. While on paper it sounds like one guy gets all the fun interacting with the DM, in practice I found it allowed for independent action, while maintaining a group cohesion. It's a subtle psychological thing, but rather than have my attention divided by 4 players and 7 PCs and NPCs, I needed only focus on the caller, who funneled the information to me. Even though I was still adjudicating the same number of actions, it was just easier to process, and it seemed to me promoted teamwork among the PCs (for whom most it was the first time playing together). And when combat came up and each player interacted with the DM individually, the side-based initiative and Combat Sequence provided structure that again made processing quick and easy.

And I found there's one little rule that has a huge effect on play. Light sources, light sources, light sources. The limiting of information to what can be seen within the 30 feet of a light source really ups the suspense and paranoia of the game, and increases the number of decision points in the game.

I also have to give credit to my players, who were very much on-board and into the spirit of the game. We're all 4e players, and enjoy the game that 4e provides. But since 4e provides it, I don't think we felt the need to try and make this that kind of game. They gamely engaged in tracking encumbrance, movement, and equipment, and were very cautious in their exploration. Today's adventure ended right on time with the party finding a trap door down to another level of the dungeon. I'm quite looking forward to next time, when they go down it!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases